RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Rustler VXL Problems! OMG, please help. (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/9398756-rustler-vxl-problems-omg-please-help.html)

cplinluv07 01-08-2010 01:39 PM

Rustler VXL Problems! OMG, please help.

<font size="1" face="Myriad-SemiBold"><font size="1" face="Myriad-SemiBold"><p align="left"><span style="font-size: larger">Slow blinking red light!! Brand New Rustler VXL and bought 2 extra batteries. We charged one by car battery and the other battery was charged in the house for the 8 hr time. When we plug in the battery and turn on, we can run it at almost full throtle for about 6 secs and then it bogs down for about 4 secs and then nothing. It is acting like it is dead. We gave it about 30 secs and tried again and the same thing happens. I know it can't be the batteries, so what is wrong with the car? Should we send it back and get another one? Below I have included the light indicators from the instruction book. Thanks</span>

LED Codes and Protection Modes</p><p align="left">&bull; Solid Green</p><p align="left">ON (LiPo setting).</p></font></font><font size="1" face="Myriad-Regular"><font size="1" face="Myriad-Regular">: VXL-3s power on light. Low-Voltage Detection is</font></font><font size="1" face="Myriad-SemiBold"><font size="1" face="Myriad-SemiBold"><p align="left">&bull; Solid Red</p><p align="left">(NiCad/NiMH setting).</p></font></font><font size="1" face="Myriad-Regular"><font size="1" face="Myriad-Regular">: VXL-3s power on light. Low-Voltage Detection is OFF</font></font><font size="1" face="Myriad-SemiBold"><font size="1" face="Myriad-SemiBold"><p align="left">&bull; Fast Blinking Red</p><p align="left">motor has</p><p align="left">VXL-3s has entered</p><p align="left">guard against overheating caused by excessive current flow. If</p><p align="left">the motor has</p><p align="left">has entered</p><p align="left">automatically shut down. Let the VXL-3s cool. Make sure your</p><p align="left">model is properly geared for the conditions (</p></font></font><font size="1" face="Myriad-Regular"><font size="1" face="Myriad-Regular">: Thermal Shutdown Protection Stage 1. If the</font></font><font size="1" face="Myriad-RegularItalic"><font size="1" face="Myriad-RegularItalic">lower than normal power </font></font><font size="1" face="Myriad-Regular"><font size="1" face="Myriad-Regular">and the VXL-3s is hot, the</font></font><font size="1" face="Myriad-SemiBold"><font size="1" face="Myriad-SemiBold">Stage 1 Thermal Shutdown Protection </font></font><font size="1" face="Myriad-Regular"><font size="1" face="Myriad-Regular">to</font></font><font size="1" face="Myriad-RegularItalic"><font size="1" face="Myriad-RegularItalic">no power </font></font><font size="1" face="Myriad-Regular"><font size="1" face="Myriad-Regular">and the VXL-3s is very hot, the VXL-3s</font></font><font size="1" face="Myriad-SemiBold"><font size="1" face="Myriad-SemiBold">Stage 2 Thermal Shutdown Protection </font></font><font size="1" face="Myriad-Regular"><font size="1" face="Myriad-Regular">and has</font></font><font size="1" face="Myriad-Italic"><font size="1" face="Myriad-Italic">see page 26</font></font><font size="1" face="Myriad-Regular"><font size="1" face="Myriad-Regular">).</font></font><font size="1" face="Myriad-SemiBold"><font size="1" face="Myriad-SemiBold"><p align="left">&bull; Slow Blinking Red</p><p align="left">VXL-3s has entered</p><p align="left">voltage begins to reach the minimum recommended discharge</p><p align="left">voltage threshold for LiPo battery packs, the VXL-3s will limit</p><p align="left">the power output to 50% throttle. When the battery voltage</p><p align="left">attempts to fall below the minimum threshold, the VXL-3s will</p><p align="left">shut down all motor output. The LED on the speed control will</p><p align="left">slowly blink red, indicating a low voltage shutdown. The VXL-3s</p><p align="left">will stay in this mode until a fully charged battery is connected.</p></font></font><font size="1" face="Myriad-Regular"><font size="1" face="Myriad-Regular">(with Low-Voltage Detection on): The</font></font><font size="1" face="Myriad-SemiBold"><font size="1" face="Myriad-SemiBold">Low-Voltage Protection</font></font><font size="1" face="Myriad-Regular"><font size="1" face="Myriad-Regular">. When the battery</font></font><font size="1" face="Myriad-SemiBold"><font size="1" face="Myriad-SemiBold"><p align="left">&bull; Alternating; Blinks Red then Green</p><p align="left">the VXL-3s has entered</p><p align="left">with too high voltage is used, the VXL-3s will go into a failsafe</p><p align="left">mode.</p><p align="left">volts, the ESC may be damaged. Do not exceed 12.6 maximum</p><p align="left">peak input voltage.</p></font></font><font size="1" face="Myriad-Regular"><font size="1" face="Myriad-Regular">: If the motor has </font></font><font size="1" face="Myriad-RegularItalic"><font size="1" face="Myriad-RegularItalic">no power</font></font><font size="1" face="Myriad-Regular"><font size="1" face="Myriad-Regular">,</font></font><font size="1" face="Myriad-SemiBold"><font size="1" face="Myriad-SemiBold">Over Voltage Protection</font></font><font size="1" face="Myriad-Regular"><font size="1" face="Myriad-Regular">. If a battery</font></font><font size="1" face="Myriad-SemiBold"><font size="1" face="Myriad-SemiBold">Warning</font></font><font size="1" face="Myriad-Regular"><font size="1" face="Myriad-Regular">: If input voltage exceeds approximately 20-</font></font><font size="1" face="Myriad-SemiBold"><font size="1" face="Myriad-SemiBold"><p align="left">&bull; Blinking Green</p><p align="left">Throttle Trim (</p>

Trim to the middle &ldquo;0&rdquo; setting.</p></font></font><font size="1" face="Myriad-Regular"><font size="1" face="Myriad-Regular">: The VXL-3s is indicating the transmitter</font></font><font size="1" face="Myriad-Italic"><font size="1" face="Myriad-Italic">see page 11</font></font><font size="1" face="Myriad-Regular"><font size="1" face="Myriad-Regular">) is incorrectly set. Adjust the Throttle</font></font>

DarksideVR 01-08-2010 01:51 PM

RE: Rustler VXL Problems! OMG, please help.

Did you turn off the lipo cut off? am assuming that you are using NiMH. You should be able to turn that low voltage cutoff off. That is where I would start.

john01374 01-08-2010 02:04 PM

What kind of batteries do you have and how are you charging them? The VXL ESC has a low voltage cut off built in. Most NiMh batteries will drop below the cutoff voltage during hard acceleration and cause exactly what you are describing. First make sure the batteries are fully charged then Shut off the low voltage cutoff by putting the ESC in NiMh mode. It's pretty simple to do. Just hold the ESC button down until you here the ESC make noise. I want to say it's something like 6 seconds or so.

cenracer1 01-08-2010 02:08 PM

He answered his own question without even realizing it.. The batteries went into LVC cutoff... slow blinking red light.. Thats why I don't run Mimh batteries with a brushless motor...

Jeremy Z 01-08-2010 03:31 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: cenracer1

He answered his own question without even realizing it.. The batteries went into LVC cutoff... slow blinking red light.. Thats why I don't run Mimh batteries with a brushless motor...
Well, he can still run them. It's just that the ESC is erring on the side of caution. If someone started with LiPos, it would be a good thing it was set with the LVC on from the factory, yes?

In the meantime, it isn't going to hurt his NiMH. It will just drag the voltage down a bit until it gets up to speed.

Cancel the low voltage cutoff by following the programming instructions and don't worry about it. When you're ready for more performance and to shoulder the additional responsibility of using LiPos, you know what to do.

john01374 01-08-2010 03:36 PM

And the ESC automatically resets itself to Lipo mode everytime you plug in a new battery.

Budman68 01-08-2010 04:25 PM

Traxxas has the best phone in customer service. Why don't people use it before damaging their stuff. Kills me.

Jeremy Z 01-08-2010 05:36 PM

After further reflecting on this, I'm not sure this thread is worth an "OMG!" in the title. :)

cenracer1 01-08-2010 06:21 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeremy Z

After further reflecting on this, I'm not sure this thread is worth an ''OMG!'' in the title. :)
JeremyZ.. I know he can shut off the LVC.... :D

This thread definately wasn't worth an OMG.. especially since he had the answer right in front of him... LOL

Why don't people call traxxas before damaging their stuff... I guess it the same reason I never use a map... and I never get lost.. :eek:
Just human nature I guess.. People try to figure stuff out themselves and can't/don't bother to read the manual that comes with the truck.. and its oneof the best out there...