RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Should I upgrade my Traxxas Stampede?? (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/9713433-should-i-upgrade-my-traxxas-stampede.html)

bigtommy911 05-05-2010 08:05 PM

Should I upgrade my Traxxas Stampede??

I have a Traxxas Stampede that my father bought me when i was younger and still runs very well.. I was wondering since i been out of the hobby for a few years if i should upgrade everything on it... ex: Motor, shocks, tires ,etc.. Right now its all stock but im not sure about electric parts. What motor is good whats not.. anyone have a few pointers. id like to learn more about electric vehicles more since i am almost clueless about them.

dockman2 05-05-2010 08:10 PM

RE: Should I upgrade my Traxxas Stampede??

Personally I would run it as is and just upgrade slowly as the need arises. Plus you will learn as you go.

bigtommy911 05-05-2010 08:15 PM

I See... when it comes to electric isnt it possible to build a truck to your needs instead of buying a manufacturers kit ?? for example buying a chassis from a good quality company then buying motor from another.. etc,etc ??

birdman1968 05-05-2010 08:17 PM

Upgrade as you break is great advice . RPMis a good way to go for plastic parts . As far as the motor and esc goes , a good brushless system turns the Pede in to a wheelie machine .

cummins driver 05-05-2010 10:50 PM

When it comes to a stampede, they are pretty tough stock. 5x11 bearings, and carriers(if it doesent have them), all metal gears in the tranny and VXL output yokes(if it doesent have them), and a good brushless system with a couple of 11.1v lipo's or 9.9v LiFe's is the road I would take. You will have a very fast, durable truck with good run times, and you can upgrade the suspension arms and chassis as you go. You would also need a wheelie bar:D

Eric

Brainanator 05-05-2010 10:57 PM

make sure it's got full ball bearings, that's the first thing you should upgrade imo :)

birdman1968 05-06-2010 09:28 AM

Oh yeah , I forgot that part Brain , the stock bearings are junk . Especiallly with brushless !!! And the wheelie bar tip was great advice as well .

Slo-V Flyer 05-06-2010 11:28 AM

While 11.1v is appealing, it is almost impractical for more than a few minutes of high speed running with most brushless motors, from my experience. You can do that, but also keep a good supply of 7.2 Nimh or 7.4v 2s lipo batteries for more controlled bashing, if you wanna call it that, which will yield less bent suspension hinge pins and shock rods, among other things.

:D

The Mad Modder 05-06-2010 11:34 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: birdman1968

Upgrade as you break is great advice . RPM is a good way to go for plastic parts .

+1 All of the rpm parts that I've bought have been next to indestructible.