RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   Losi strike, Is it worth it? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/9790732-losi-strike-worth.html)

Minkis815 06-08-2010 08:44 PM

Losi strike, Is it worth it?

So i Ordered a Losi strike BND to run untill my SC10 Factory Team Electric 2WD Race Truck Kit comes in next month. Is it an ok truck for the money and can i use it for a back up if need be? I know the electronics in it are crap, so i'm putting the stock stuff from my T4.1 (which i never used, and was told is decent) and a JR steering servo. other than that what else should i do to it befor i use it? and most likely putting buggy wheel's and tires on it with Caliber's all around. but i'll burn the stock ones off first. thanks

cokemann 06-08-2010 08:56 PM

RE: Losi strike, Is it worth it?

Call Losi and tell them to send you 50 idler gears. You will need them. I think that's the major problem from running my Blitz against them.

john01374 06-08-2010 09:24 PM

Honestly I can't vote giving the options.

Well I'll say this. I know 15 or so guys that bought the Strike and NONE of them still have the truck. All have either given up and sold it or in one case actually thrown the truck away due to overwhelming frustration with poor quality and broken parts..

Personally i'd just buy a Blitz and ease your headaches. It'll give you far less problems than either the Strike or the SC10 you're waiting for.

ausjethro 06-09-2010 05:48 AM

ORIGINAL: john01374

Honestly I can't vote giving the options.

Well I'll say this. I know 15 or so guys that bought the Strike and NONE of them still have the truck. All have either given up and sold it or in one case actually thrown the truck away due to overwhelming frustration with poor quality and broken parts..

Personally i'd just buy a Blitz and ease your headaches. It'll give you far less problems than either the Strike or the SC10 you're waiting for.
I have to agree with this comment-my racing/bashing friend and I both bought the Strike on the basis that Losi had always produced a decent product-WRONG!.As we found out to our disappointment this short course truck is a poorly made,badly thought out piece of junk.They are both in pieces on our work benches collecting dust and now that Losi(Horizon)has dropped the price,the parts would cost as much as the whole truck!Bad choice on our parts but you live and learn.We will both take a lot of convincing before we buy another Losi product.
HPI BLITZ-Xcelorin 4800kv motor/Mamba Sidewinder ESC.
HPI BLITZ-VXL 3500kv motor/Mamba Sidewinder ESC.
SLASH 2WD-VXL combo.
SLASH 4WD-stock.
HYPER 10SC-Novak HV PRO 6.5t combo.
HYPER 10SC-Mamba Max 4600kv combo.
BRUSHLESS E-REVO-stock.
SAVAGE FLUX-stock.
E-REVO-B/L conversion-EZrun 2250 kv motor/150 amp ESC.
HPI FIRESTORM FLUX.
E-MAXX-3300kv NOVATECH motor/75 amp ESC.
LOSI MINI CRAWLER.

rebelabc 06-09-2010 08:14 AM

there appears to be 2 different forums on the strike for i reasearched info about the strrike after the fact...from this forum and from the losi forum..From what is said about the 2 this one seems to be the most negtive of the 2 and where as the losi forum is on the losi site..the people giving the reviews in the forum are simple losi buyers...either basher dudes or racer..both seem to give honest opinions after running the strike...It could use some upgrades as most of us do here anyways..and has also run some races and won some..and some of these strikes have been run out of box stock since bought at store. Its a new product..we all break something on the trucks at one time or another...Before passing judgment on what may be a really good product check out both forums and see what everyone has to say on the strike..Even losi from what i hear have been addressing some..not much weak issues on the strike "dogbones" ;)

nitrosportsandrunner 06-09-2010 08:17 AM

i got my strike used. it came without a radio, so i am using a traxxas radio.
the stock motor is fine, the chassis is pretty strong IMO
the ESC has good points and bad.
the good is that is has lipo LVC. which is great if you want to use a 2s lipo like i do.
the bad is that 1) reverse is limited to 1/4 power.[:'(] and 2) the reverse to forward delay is alittle long.
other than those 2 issues with the ESC, i like my strike alot. i have bashed it just as i would my old rustler xl-5, in the dirt and at the skate park. to date, i have only stripped a spur gear. but i had the slipper clutch pretty tight and landed a 6' jump with the throttle on:eek: almost any truck can strip the spur doing that.
i LOVE the shocks on this truck. they are super smooth, and havent started to leak even with all the bashing i have done.
i know lots of people have bent the stock dogbones, but i have put over 10 lipo packs through the truck(2s 5000mah) and have yet to bend mine

i think the issue with the strike is quality control. i have heard of some strikes breaking very easy, while others like mine are very tough-comparable to a rustler xl-5 in strength. you may get a good one, or a dud.

The Mad Modder 06-09-2010 08:31 AM

Even the RC magazines admit that the strike has poor traction. The mid mounted motor that losi was boasting about does help jumping, but reduce traction.

Minkis815 06-09-2010 03:24 PM

well its only a hundred bucks and i will run it totally box stock except for electronics (as this is how i do it with all of my electrics) tillmy SC10 kit comes in.my real queston was basicly just to see what sucks on the truck becides electronics. i've herd good things about suspension and the jumping factor. but i never had any problems jumping.

Minkis815 06-11-2010 12:42 PM

well to my surprise the truck seems to handle nice. the tires suck but smooth suspension. steering works well. I am taking it to the track tonight to see what it can do there. i bashed it a little in my yard and it heldup decent. i dont know what everyone is talking about. the truckis solid. 100% box stock. i would def recomend this truck to anyone that wants to get into Short Course with out spending awhole lot of money. I will let you all know how it does on the track tonight. i'm thinking of doing a review on it on youtube also. (Not a review by horizon or a 13 yearold kid that has no idea what he's talking about.)

nitrosportsandrunner 06-11-2010 12:47 PM

i feel the same, for the money its a good truck.

if i had $200 and had the choice of buying a slash or a strike, i would buy the slash.
but for $150 RTR, the strike is a good deal
i also like the suspension alot. the shocks are soo smooth. the stock tires suck, but then so dont most of the stock tires on these SC trucks.
all the stock tires are kinda stiff and the narrow tread isnt going to have as much traction as the wider tires on most stadium trucks.
but for me... the lower traction just adds to the realizm. the way the rear end can kick out of you throw it into the corner to fast or with too much throttle looks just like the rear thing!

Minkis815 06-12-2010 06:24 AM

Wellits safe to say I like the truck. its a hundred twenty bucks and if one more person posts that the truck is crap i'm going to flip out on them. and the best part is losi knows whats going to break. If you order your truck from your LHS you wont get a lemon. I called Horizon and talked to someone from losi, "The bad trucks were the first 3 groups off the line befor they hit the market." My strike kept up with SC10's and Blitz's no problem. and it was faster than every Slash on the track. I did brake a turnbuckle, but that was cause of a Joey*. So if you want a nice shortcourse dont put the strike last on the list!

*A Joey- Some one who bashes and goes to open practice just cause there are jumps and crashes into everyone- A Joey*

nitrosportsandrunner 06-12-2010 09:47 AM

ORIGINAL: Minkis815

Wellits safe to say I like the truck. its a hundred twenty bucks and if one more person posts that the truck is crap i'm going to flip out on them. and the best part is losi knows whats going to break. If you order your truck from your LHS you wont get a lemon. I called Horizon and talked to someone from losi, ''The bad trucks were the first 3 groups off the line befor they hit the market.'' My strike kept up with SC10's and Blitz's no problem. and it was faster than every Slash on the track. I did brake a turnbuckle, but that was cause of a Joey*. So if you want a nice shortcourse dont put the strike last on the list!

*A Joey- Some one who bashes and goes to open practice just cause there are jumps and crashes into everyone- A Joey*
a guy who races locally told me that the guys who drive the strikes are replacing the stock turnbuckles with the ones from the traxxas slash. much stronger and i guess they fit no problem. and i agree, for the price its a great truck.

scoobs92 06-12-2010 03:02 PM

a buddy of mine has a strike and we were out bashing with it and the only thing that broke was a turnbuckle i like the 2.4 ghz radio and it only takes 4 batteries i also noticed that his truck takes turns a bit better than my slash did he never fliped when he turned my slash was always flipping but i still love my slash but for the price the strike is a great truck cant go wrong for 150 rtr 2.4 ghz