RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/)
-   -   best battery connector type? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-off-road-trucks-buggies-truggies-more-147/9985622-best-battery-connector-type.html)

4goodbuys2 09-07-2010 07:32 AM

best battery connector type?

right now I'm using traxxas connectors on my rustler and tamiya molex connectors on my evaders and deans connectors on my modified vxl himoto.
Well I need to have them all the same , which battery connectors do you recomend?

Also I'm still gathering parts for the tank drive system on my battle bot.

Soloratov 09-07-2010 07:51 AM

RE: best battery connector type?

Traxxas.

MountainMotor 09-07-2010 07:53 AM

Personally I think that Traxxas and Deans are the best. I use Deans on the majority of my stuff but I'm starting to like the Traxxas plugs better because sometimes the Deans are much harder to pull apart for me. The Traxxas plugs also tend to be easier to solder. As far as connectivity, they will both transfer all the current you need.

scott011422 09-07-2010 08:09 AM

I've been loving the EC5 series latley. One of the problems with the Deans and the Traxxas connectors are they (ALL) Connectors spark while plugging in. But on the Deans and Traxxas, this arcing occures on the main contact surface. Turning them a dark color and rasing the resistance of the plug. The Bullet nosed EC5 connector hold much more amperage and has an arc area where the connectors arc out without effecting the main connection surface.

4goodbuys2 09-07-2010 08:18 AM

I like the traxxas because 60 % of my batteries have them so that's less that I have to buy but I also like deans because they fit so tight and generate less heat than traxxas imo . I wonder if you could use bullet connectors like they use on motors.
Also does anyone know of a cheap place to buy these connectors.
Because I don't want to spend 10-15 each that's going to expensive fast.
Thanks for you opinions

Sherv 09-07-2010 08:36 AM

Another vote for EC5. Right now I use bullet connectors but eventually I will switch it all to EC5. But out of your list I would say stick with Traxxas. I'm not a fan of deans. They are a ***** to get off sometimes and their spring action fails (I did not use a chinese knockoff).

4goodbuys2 09-07-2010 08:39 AM

I looked up the es5 , their kind of like a bullet connector just combined.
Does anyone know a cheap website to buy connectors?

MountainMotor 09-07-2010 08:40 AM

ORIGINAL: 4goodbuys2

I like the traxxas because 60 % of my batteries have them so that's less that I have to buy but I also like deans because they fit so tight and generate less heat than traxxas imo . I wonder if you could use bullet connectors like they use on motors.
Also does anyone know of a cheap place to buy these connectors.
Because I don't want to spend 10-15 each that's going to expensive fast.
Thanks for you opinions

If your looking to stay with a bullet style connector then I'd go with the EC5's. You can find them on Hobbyking for $1.29 for a male/female pair. I'm not for sure of the quality but I've heard some good reviews on them.

4goodbuys2 09-07-2010 09:02 AM

I'm just going to go with all traxxas because that's what I have the most of .
I have to find a cheap place to buy them.

SyCo_VeNoM 09-07-2010 10:44 AM

ORIGINAL: 4goodbuys2

I'm just going to go with all traxxas because that's what I have the most of .
I have to find a cheap place to buy them.

Ebay type in traxxas 3080 if you need 2 females
Traxxas 3060 if you want a male and female
Traxxas 3070 if you want 2 males

they average around $4-5 per 2 + shipping

4goodbuys2 09-07-2010 11:21 AM

Thanks I just ordered some.

rclugnut10 09-07-2010 12:16 PM

http://www.r2hobbies.com/eng/proddet...prod=rcps51907

cheap deans, i run deans cuz thats what i standardized on a few years ago from tams and have never gotten anything with a traxxas on it so i make it all deans keeps things easy

but really whatever is cheaper/makes the most sense for you between deans traxxas and bullet style EC5's and such, just throw tams out the window

the lug

controlliner 09-07-2010 12:49 PM

Deans and Traxxas carry the most extreme loads:D:D

rc theman 09-07-2010 01:26 PM

i go with traxxas, i had deans and i have melted a ton of them. but i think they updated them so i might try them again

nitroade 09-07-2010 02:34 PM

I prefer the Traxxas connectors, they are easy to solder and give a good surface to grip when plugging and unplugging batts. I've seen some bulk lots for cheap on Ebay.

Brainanator 09-07-2010 02:39 PM

I like the Traxxas ones, but it depends on what YOU like the best. (of course it needs to be a high current one too)

TheyDontWantMusic 09-07-2010 04:12 PM

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/5853/adapters.jpg

SyCo_VeNoM 09-07-2010 05:03 PM

ORIGINAL: nitroade

I prefer the Traxxas connectors, they are easy to solder and give a good surface to grip when plugging and unplugging batts. I've seen some bulk lots for cheap on Ebay.
those lots I've seen on ebay usually have something in small letters saying there traxxas compatible connectors or something along those lines.

HJJFFFAA 09-07-2010 07:38 PM

Bullets.

RCER88 09-08-2010 01:19 AM

EC3 or EC5 both are easy to solder and will handle high amps.

cumquat 09-08-2010 05:29 AM

deans for me. i just like them. a good iron makes a world of difference.