Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Questions on MO5 Pro limited edition

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 11:10 AM
gokemidoro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on MO5 Pro limited edition

Hey, all!

I have a Tamiya MO5 Pro blue plated limited edition coming, and have questions;

1) In pic after pic in the mags, I see the blue aluminum motor plate. Did Tamiya include that hop-up w/ the MO5 Pro?

2) Is the diff case sealed? By what I can see, it's not, but I'd like someone who has one to tell me.

3) Is there any slop (and I mean ANY) in the steering bellcranks? Let's me know if Ihave to go get shims or not.

4) Does a steering servo come w/ the kit? Some websites say yes, some no.

I am normally a drifter, and this MO5 Pro will be my first FWD chassis. The whole FWD concept is intriguing to a tinkerer like me. I won't be trying to drift it (I know better), but if anyone has mods to make it better (not necessarily faster), please, reply!

Thanks all!
Old 10-10-2010, 12:29 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Questions on MO5 Pro limited edition

I am not sure about the blue aluminum motor plate, I only have the standard m05. You might want look on the Tamiya website.

What do you mean by diff case? The diff is housed in the chassis halves, I would consider it fairly sealed. Its not sealed with an o-ring or anything, but dust and crap cant really make its way in there.

The steering is fairly tight and crisp, there is some vertical play in the carriers though. Not really an issue.

No, a servo does not come with the kit, only the RTR.

You will want a ball diff and stabilizer kit.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:05 PM
gokemidoro

Cool! I was hoping I'd get a response before the kit arrived, Thanks!!

Yah, the Tamiya site says no, but those mags' pictures say yes. Very confusing.

I was referring to the case housing the diff gears. I was wondering about it being sealed, so I could fill it w/ diff oil. I didn't see o-rings either, so maybe it's not. Oh well. Ball diff, here I come.

I read online that some guys were grousing about the amount of "squirm" the car has, and the inconsistency of the left/right turning ability. The mags say it won't track straight consistently, and they traced it to the bellcranks, so was wondering.

Oh. O.K., I have a few high torque metal gear ones that are fast enough, so that takes care of that.

Stabilizer kit? Swaybars? Know where I can get them for a good price? the outlet I got the car from doesn't offer it.

The more I see and hear about the MO5 Pro, the more I like it. Tamiya just makes good stuff.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:13 PM
proanti1

Oh, no its not sealed, but you can throw some thicker grease in there if you must. Yeah, swaybars... Tamiya calls them stabilizers. Mine seemed to track a little funny when I first got it, but a couple 6oz lead weights opposite the motor stopped that. Buy genuine Tamiya aftermarket stuff off their site, its more expensive, but the quality is second to none.
Old 10-10-2010, 04:29 PM
gokemidoro

Nah, I'll just do the ball diff. Even grease finds a way out of wherever you put it, and makes a mess.

A couple of 6 oz. weights? Man, that's a lot of weight! Where did you find the room? That chassis is pretty tightly engineered.

I noticed their prices are high, compared to some sites, but they have everything, whereas others seem to stock parts for only the most popular models, and nothing for the recently discontinued ones. I looked up parts for the MO3, for example, and Tamiya still stocks most of those, where other houses don't stock any. Hop up parts are another. Tower, for example, doesn't stock much in the way of hop-ups, just maintenance type parts.

Well, since this little blaster will only be used on-road, I'll see how it does stock, then go from there. I will order the ball diff, though. I like the idea of adjustability there.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:27 PM
proanti1

I just put them directly opposite the motor, where the screws are. It wasn't an exact 12oz, it was like one and a quarter or something...
Old 10-10-2010, 07:41 PM
gokemidoro

Are you using a brushless system in it? Seems like a lot of torque twist you're fighting, or the can brings the weight off on the left side a bit too much.

No matter, I'll try weighting it if I see any difference from left to right.

Is there anything else I should look out for, or be concerned about? I'll be waiting an extra week for the body to get here, so I have time to tinker.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:02 PM
proanti1

I'm running a p2k2 pro stocker brushed motor, which is more than enough. Plus I race it, brushless not currently allowed in the mini class I race in. A brushless system would just toast your front tires within minutes. Oh yeah, i forgot to mention I am running some HPI x pasterns, the tires that come on it are crap.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:45 PM
gokemidoro

Got the MO5 Pro yesterday, built it today, and tested it out.

Though it's wearing a castle brushless system (yeah, overkill. I know), I did tighten up the steering bellcranks, as they showed an unusual amount of slop. I also put shims in the front lower A-arms, to remove slop there, as well.

I took it out and ran it- Not a bad little car! VERYagile (at least compared to what I'm used to)! I did notice the tires broke traction during very tight corners, but surprisingly, not under acceleration. It never showed the slightest bit of instability, and tracked straight. I found no favoring of one direction to the other, but until I can test it out in a larger area, I won't know for sure.

I really love this thing! Now I'm curious to try the FF03 Pro, now!