Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more
Reload this Page >

I'm new to electric,is this something to maybe consider

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

I'm new to electric,is this something to maybe consider

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 06:10 PM
nitroholic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm new to electric,is this something to maybe consider

it's an RTR i'm assuming,i'm used to nitro both on and off road,i need speed,really fast acceleration.Cause i know of an in door carpet track,they hold competision races there,and just to play also.So all i want is something fast,fairly priced and RTR new.Any suggestions are all greatly appreciated,i haven't owned electric since the early 80's i had the Tamiya Hornet.Yeah so i no nothing about the electric world today,andi'm really liking what i see.No fumes,no complaints for noise,so on.Thanks.
http://www.ttamerica.com/cars/ttrd0500.html
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25709.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1565113   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41542.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1565114   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zf87591.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	1565115   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zs51640.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	1565116  
Old 02-16-2011, 07:05 PM
gokemidoro

Default RE: I'm new to electric,is this something to maybe consider

Seems the Sparrowhawk is on par with the Tamiya TT01 and HPI E10 series cars. The price is about right, too.

I can't give an estimate of it's quality, as I've never owned one, but being as it's entry-level, you should have no problems with it, and yes, they are RTR.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:26 PM
Casper06

It is an entry level on road electric car. My main concern would be part support and hop up options. I'm not too familiar with Thunder Tiger stuff but I know TowerHobbies started carrying them recently. If you are looking for speed I would suggest a Associated TC6 or 5.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:29 AM
icedude1989

i do have a sparrowhawk and it does run quite nice. the dx version u showed on the link is the drift version just specifying because i did not read if ud be running drift or touring. but practically they are the same from what i can gather about the sparrowhawk sx. just tyres are drift. i have run it quite a lot and i find no problems with it, drifts quite nicely and is controllable as entry level requires. however over here tt parts are really expensive and i have also found that its a strange body size so if u want to mod up the body its quite strange to find one from other companies that fits it nicely. however, if ur to stick with tt bodies, i can say its quite a pleasant car to start off with. just for ur info it is also my first drift car.

dave
Old 02-17-2011, 06:28 AM
nitroholic

Thanks guys,appreciate all your help.Casper if i went with TC6 and went with this motor,and that's a big if,cause that's a BIG PRICE,but in time to build the ultimate race machine,you think this may be a bit much?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZEL0&P=7
Old 02-17-2011, 08:23 AM
gokemidoro

Good choice!
Old 02-17-2011, 01:46 PM
Casper06

That would be a excellent choice for motor/ESC combo out the box. You could also try the Novak Kinetic/Ballistic combo. I have a few Ballistic/Havok 3s combos and have had zero issues with it, I've also owned a few Havok 2s Sport ESC combos but have had issues with the ESC's going up in smoke with one actually catching fire. I haven't tried the Kenetic ESC's but my guess is that they work really well as they are higher up in the product line. Or if you really want to get crazy you can pair a Novak 17.5 motor with a Castle Mamba Max Pro ESC. The custom programmability features in the Castle products are very nice.

Here are some links:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXYRS5&P=SM

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXZL7&P=SM

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXXWH5
Old 02-17-2011, 04:46 PM
nitroholic

Dam,i'm starting to learn a bit here from your guy's input.I saw some electric on youtube,my goodness they would put my jato to shame,and my jato is extremely sick fast.It's a dog compared to some electric,same with my Miss Vegas Deuce .18 nitro,fast but the electric are,well not all but most would put it to shame.+electric are lake friendly,quiet and no polution,as the land cars and trucks.They're so loud messy and can be a real pain sometimes,i don't care what anyone says,all nitros get cranky and act up sometimes.From looking at those links you provided,it seems to be better to build my own package.I just wonder if i got every thing in a list including the car ,i know it would be expensive,i wonder if they would let me do it in 3 easy payments.I could call them,seeing how much it would cost,i'm sure they would.It would probably be close to $700 rtr,i mean everything i needed.Wouldn't you think? Cause due to i'm new i want all new.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:37 PM
Casper06

Are you looking for all out speed or a track car? Just wondering because at first you said you want to do carpet racing.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:11 PM
nitroholic

Well kind of both,smooth parking lots,having the fastest car in the race indoor,lol,you know what i mean.But i was there and some of them cars on that carpet were really quik.So both in door out door.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:34 PM
Casper06

Ok because that kind of changes things a bit. I guess you'll have to check with your local track to find out what rules they have for indoor carpet races. But for all out speed outdoors the 17.5 motor is not the fastest. The lower the number the faster the motor when it come to the T rating. Just an FYI.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:15 PM
gokemidoro

ORIGINAL: nitroholic

Well kind of both,smooth parking lots,having the fastest car in the race indoor,lol,you know what i mean.But i was there and some of them cars on that carpet were really quik.So both in door out door.
Yah, you may be asking a bit too much, there.

To be able to go from track to all-out speed requires you to change something-you would have to swap out either motors (provided you have an ESC that can take a hot motor, which will take all higher turn motors) or gearing. Trouble with that is you would have to do it every time you do one of the other. Lots of trouble.

Just going with a low-turn motor makes getting the car set up for the track very hard. The ESC/motor would have to be "de-tuned" for the track, and again, re-tuned for high-speed antics. And the difference between carpet and asphalt is also a big performance change.

Looks like you need two cars!
Old 02-17-2011, 07:54 PM
nitroholic

Yeah,i see what you're saying,just like nitro,chage this,change that.Cause i can't race my jato right now,it's not ROAR legal.So i don't know.I think maybe just stick with asphault,cause i want speed and handeling really,like a 4-tec 3.3 with better handling,and no mess and noise.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:26 PM
gokemidoro

There are rubber tire set ups for asphalt, so it's not a difficult thing you would want.

Try an Ofna JL10e. Low price, high quality, VERY good handling. It can be set up for speed, and does well at the track, just in case you decide to go that route sometime. That chassis HAS won races!
Old 02-17-2011, 09:09 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also check the tamiya ta05 v.2r, its one of the most succesful racers and has a near 50/50 weight balance, it has a plastic chassis but can take oncarbon chassis any day
Old 02-19-2011, 03:26 PM
gokemidoro

ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

also check the tamiya ta05 v.2r, its one of the most succesful racers and has a near 50/50 weight balance, it has a plastic chassis but can take oncarbon chassis any day
Yup, another great choice! Tad more expensive than the Ofna, but it has the performance potential, so it's up to you.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:15 PM
nitroholic

Thanks guy's.