Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Chinese knock-offs - BEWARE!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 08:47 AM
gokemidoro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chinese knock-offs - BEWARE!

Hello all!

Just a head's up. I saw at another forum, that EZRun has had problems with a Chinese company selling knock-offESC's under the EZRun name. There have also been Chinese companies who are selling NiMh battery packs labeled LiPo, so if the price seems too good to be true, it probably is.

EZRun knows about it, but apparently can't do much about it, so the best course is to be VERYCAREFULwhen buying from foreign companies.

So far, XERun hasn't been affected, but it's always been my caveat to buy only from reputable companies that have been on the market for a few years, before I purchase anything from them, just to make sure they are as good as they say they are. It's not EZRun's fault they are having this problem, however, so Icannot say EZRun falls into the "junk" category, and others have found their components to be satisfactory, so the best course is to find out which contracted distributors they use, and go through only those distributors.

The Chinese have no laws respecting patents, copyrights, trademarks, nothing. SomeChinese companiesare alsounscrupulous, and don't care about quality. Or safety.

So be very careful. EZRun was unknown three years ago, so the tendency to hijack it's products is high. You won't get that with reputable companies, because it would be easy to tell, if it was a knockoff.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:22 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

Default RE: Chinese knock-offs - BEWARE!

Now wait, I thought it's a felony crime in China for counterfeitting. I saw a documentary on it on the Discovery Channel. Didn't 8 people there get the death sentence for putting melamine in milk and baby formula? The Chinese detective on the show did say though, that counterfeitting is a huge business in his country.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:30 PM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: gokemidoro

Hello all!

Just a head's up. I saw at another forum, that EZRun has had problems with a Chinese company selling knock-off ESC's under the EZRun name.
Just so you know, Hobbywing, the company that makes the EZRun systems is also chinese. If you don't believe me look at their address (at the bottom) on their web site.
http://www.hobbywing.com/english/

The Chinese have no laws respecting patents, copyrights, trademarks, nothing. Some Chinese companies are also unscrupulous, and don't care about quality. Or safety.
I completely agree. That's why I don't buy from chinese manufacturers.

So be very careful. EZRun was unknown three years ago, so the tendency to hijack it's products is high. You won't get that with reputable companies, because it would be easy to tell, if it was a knockoff.
Most of the knockoffs I've seen were based on proven designs by large, well known companies. I've seen a lot of them based on Tamiya's tl01 chassis or some of HPI's RS4's.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:16 PM
gokemidoro

This isn't even counterfeiting. NiMh cells for LiPo?

Yah, I know it's Chinese. Hobbywing tried to find the counterfeiters, to tell them cease and desist, they responded "but ours are good, too!" Or something to that effect.

There are a lot of knock-offs out there, and like many who are catching on, the best policy is to buy domestic products or products with a long history, like Tamiya.

This is for those who do not have the budgets some of us have.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:58 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

I have had bad relations with dinball @ rcmart in Honk Kong. His shipping prices are highway robbery - blah blah cheap shipping for one item, but $4 bucks extra for each additional item. Two or three years ago I ordered about a dozen parts, and the shipping was through the freaking roof - and it also took 2 and 1/2 months for me to get it, because the order got "lost" in China's customs export or whatever. I demanded vehemently that he send me what I paid for and reminded him about the total of the shipping was over 60% of the cost of the total order.

Needless to say, that was the very last time I ordered anything from China.

IMHO, the only thing that's made in China that can't kill you is their guns.

Because of that terrible experience, if I need anything from Tamiya or aftermarket, I go straight to the online stores that have a USAaddy listed on their site; it's the very first thing I look for nowadays. I've been also finding out that about half the things I'd want directly from TamiyaUSA aren't priced that much higher than retail, and I've never had to pay over $4.99 for shipping from them. TamiyaUSA is awesome - I wish I could save their custom red and blue star printed packing tape they use on their boxes - it sure is purdy
Old 05-27-2011, 02:07 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

Oh the disguised NiMH battery thing as a lipo - I've got an Electricifly Triton EQ AC/DC charger, and the display would show me that the battery isn't a lipo (in lipo mode) if I plug it in, it would in no way let me charge it at all. It would say - hey this is a such and such battery - warning! and even if I hit the start button it would do a battery check again and say "no way I'm charging that" and boot back up into the beginning of the lipo menu.

I guess that knockoff company didn't realize that when they had the bright idea to mis-label/ misrepresent their product.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:42 PM
gokemidoro

From where I got this from, it is said that the person who got NiMh cells as LiPo charged it somehow, and the pack "separated" (the word they used) so I don't know how true it is, but the ESCthing is bad.
I've never been one for foreign electronics, so it doesn't affect me much.

It's funny, Ihave had no bad experiences with Dinball/RCMart. My Tamiya VDF was from them, and though yes, their shipping is outrageous ($30+!!), but Imanaged to save about $135, So I can't complain. It got to me within 7 working days.
Tamiya ISgood! Of course, they've been at it for a while, so it's expected, and they deliver. If you talk to their service department, they might send you some of their decals with the stripe and star logo. Idid that with Castle, and they sent me more than I needed! Free!

As far as chassis - It's either Associated, or a Tamiya next, and the only other company that uses Chinese stuff is Ofna, but I haven't had issues with any of their stuff, either.
I've always had reservations about EZRun stuff anyway, but it won't do the budget RC'er any good to get ripped like that.

Felt I should say something........
Old 05-27-2011, 04:09 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder

Most of the knockoffs I've seen were based on proven designs by large, well known companies. I've seen a lot of them based on Tamiya's tl01 chassis or some of HPI's RS4's.
got a non tamiya DF-02 sitting here that I picked up from target last year
seems the parts castings were made from tamiya parts cause they are just BARELY different I mean like a hair off in size (which stops some tamiya pieces from working)

But yea that blows HW is getting a bad rap due to counter fitters that can't make their own gear. I always felt that Leopards looked way too close to be coincidence, now I see a new one out named Toro that looks exactly like the HW ESC's in the same exact colors leopard uses

I've seen it happen on other products from china where counterfeiters will bootleg successful chinese products and sell them off as a sale of the real one.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:18 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sucks to here about your bad experience dragnes7en. Its not really normal of them to rip a customer off like that.
I personally haven't had any probs with rcmart at all. 
Thanks for the warning goke, when i get my new xerun in a month or two I am going to be more careful.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:27 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

seems the parts castings were made from tamiya parts cause they are just BARELY different I mean like a hair off in size (which stops some tamiya pieces from working)

But yea that blows HW is getting a bad rap due to counter fitters that can't make their own gear. I always felt that Leopards looked way too close to be coincidence, now I see a new one out named Toro that looks exactly like the HW ESC's in the same exact colors leopard uses

I've seen it happen on other products from china where counterfeiters will bootleg successful chinese products and sell them off as a sale of the real one.
Yeah I've laso seen TRF416 and 417 knock-offs, for $289 each. I mean - come on - really?

Old 05-28-2011, 12:12 AM
Haddi Taha

ORIGINAL: dragnse7en

Yeah I've laso seen TRF416 and 417 knock-offs, for $289 each. I mean - come on - really?

Those clone Tamiya's in the desciption usually say clone. I heard they are POS. Better to pay twice the price for a Real One.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:49 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello all!

Just a head's up. I saw at another forum, that EZRun has had problems with a Chinese company selling knock-off ESC's under the EZRun name. There have also been Chinese companies who are selling NiMh battery packs labeled LiPo, so if the price seems too good to be true, it probably is.

EZRun knows about it, but apparently can't do much about it, so the best course is to be VERY CAREFUL when buying from foreign companies.

So far, XERun hasn't been affected, but it's always been my caveat to buy only from reputable companies that have been on the market for a few years, before I purchase anything from them, just to make sure they are as good as they say they are. It's not EZRun's fault they are having this problem, however, so I cannot say EZRun falls into the ''junk'' category, and others have found their components to be satisfactory, so the best course is to find out which contracted distributors they use, and go through only those distributors.

The Chinese have no laws respecting patents, copyrights, trademarks, nothing. Some Chinese companies are also unscrupulous, and don't care about quality. Or safety.

Ok, here is a little wholesaling 101. There is not a separate entity producing knockoff EZrun motors, hell... HK doesn't even make them, they buy them from a specialized motor manufacturer and sell them under their internal branding. Same goes for the ESC's. I guarantee you will find NO difference between the originals and the "knockoffs", you will probably find the same QC markings on the ESC board (if there are any). All that happened is someone secured a deal with the same manufacturer that produces the motors/esc's for HK, now HK is pissed and giving them a bad rep online. Occasionally clones will pop up, but that only happens when your margins are thick enough to justify the tool-up costs (which are very expensive, even in China)... Like the case with the TRF 416.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:47 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: proanti1

Ok, here is a little wholesaling 101. There is not a separate entity producing knockoff EZrun motors, hell... HK doesn't even make them, they buy them from a specialized motor manufacturer and sell them under their internal branding. Same goes for the ESC's. I guarantee you will find NO difference between the originals and the ''knockoffs'', you will probably find the same QC markings on the ESC board (if there are any). All that happened is someone secured a deal with the same manufacturer that produces the motors/esc's for HK, now HK is pissed and giving them a bad rep online. Occasionally clones will pop up, but that only happens when your margins are thick enough to justify the tool-up costs (which are very expensive, even in China)... Like the case with the TRF 416.
Well in some cases from what I read how it goes in china like say the plant will shut down at 8pm the bootleggers will pay off guards (or have their ppl get jobs as the guards) and fire up the assembly plant after hours using the same tools. Thing is they use their own materials(usually no where near as refined), and rush the job with people not as skilled which is where the issues come in. Or in some cases they will actually break in and steal the molds for plastic pieces.
I remember a few years ago some guys got busted selling bootlegged Cisco routers that looked 100% legit even down to the QC stickers on the boards hell only reason they got caught was cause the serial #'s didn't match up when they called up for help from Cisco. Turns out (like I said above) they were made at night in the same factory using their machinery with sub standard materials.
These are not like DVD bootleggers burning movies they download off the net and selling in the fast food joint, this is a extremely large criminal organizations that will bootleg anything popular(which HW ESC's have become) to make a buck.

But yes some stuff is wholesaled off, and rebadged like HPI's new flux in the bullet Flux which is just a HW ESC, and motor combo.
Old 05-28-2011, 01:03 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

SyCo_VeNoM -

OMG what a weird culture - I had to laugh reading your post, thinking that they treat factories like community playgrounds. But you're absolutely right, it's organized crime factions like that over there that don't care about anything except their bottom line, and the worst ones use materials that poison the end user, figuratively or literally. That Chinese detective on the Discovery channel busted over 100 people in that episode, and then turned to the camera and said this is only a small fraction of offenders. If they get caught over there, it's serious hard labor. They have crappy human rights over there anyway.

I have reveived in the past many packages from China. Did you ever notice how dark and dry their envelope papar and wrapping paper is?

Doesn't it really remind you of a used toilet paper roll in a thin version, or is it just me?

I wish they'd put the same quality in their products as they do in their postage stamp artwork.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:41 PM
proanti1

Ok, here is a little wholesaling 101. There is not a separate entity producing knockoff EZrun motors, hell... HK doesn't even make them, they buy them from a specialized motor manufacturer and sell them under their internal branding. Same goes for the ESC's. I guarantee you will find NO difference between the originals and the ''knockoffs'', you will probably find the same QC markings on the ESC board (if there are any). All that happened is someone secured a deal with the same manufacturer that produces the motors/esc's for HK, now HK is pissed and giving them a bad rep online. Occasionally clones will pop up, but that only happens when your margins are thick enough to justify the tool-up costs (which are very expensive, even in China)... Like the case with the TRF 416.
Well in some cases from what I read how it goes in china like say the plant will shut down at 8pm the bootleggers will pay off guards (or have their ppl get jobs as the guards) and fire up the assembly plant after hours using the same tools. Thing is they use their own materials(usually no where near as refined), and rush the job with people not as skilled which is where the issues come in. Or in some cases they will actually break in and steal the molds for plastic pieces.
I remember a few years ago some guys got busted selling bootlegged Cisco routers that looked 100% legit even down to the QC stickers on the boards hell only reason they got caught was cause the serial #'s didn't match up when they called up for help from Cisco. Turns out (like I said above) they were made at night in the same factory using their machinery with sub standard materials.
These are not like DVD bootleggers burning movies they download off the net and selling in the fast food joint, this is a extremely large criminal organizations that will bootleg anything popular(which HW ESC's have become) to make a buck.

But yes some stuff is wholesaled off, and rebadged like HPI's new flux in the bullet Flux which is just a HW ESC, and motor combo.
Yeah, I heard about the Cisco thing too... but I highly doubt that is the case here. The global market for rc car motors is not really comparable to the market for nice routers.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:34 AM
hindupimp2384

NOT TO BE RACIST.....But Chinese and African Countries are criminals/crooks.  SO JUST BUY USA PRODUCTS THAT HAVE A GREAT NAME AND HISTORY.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:46 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

Yeah, I heard about the Cisco thing too... but I highly doubt that is the case here. The global market for rc car motors is not really comparable to the market for nice routers.
Okay, so are you saying that if you got a "sweet" BL motor, and then found out that the windings are 75% tin and not pure copper, you wouldn't be upset, especially if it had a Tekin or LRP logo on it? I really don't get your point b/c I see a zero relation between wireless routers and RC hardware.

Sure, the wireless router would probably still work, but then again I don't tear mine apart to tune it up and maintain it.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:26 AM
The Mad Modder

Actually I've tried knockoffs before and all that I've bought were different inside from the genuine ones. There's also cases like the HBX bonzer(knockoff Tamiya tl01) where the original was made in Japan and the knockoff was made in china. People have noticed that the hbx parts aren't as durable as genuine Tamiya parts.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:32 AM
proanti1

ORIGINAL: dragnse7en

Okay, so are you saying that if you got a ''sweet'' BL motor, and then found out that the windings are 75% tin and not pure copper, you wouldn't be upset, especially if it had a Tekin or LRP logo on it? I really don't get your point b/c I see a zero relation between wireless routers and RC hardware.

Sure, the wireless router would probably still work, but then again I don't tear mine apart to tune it up and maintain it.
I wasn't the one that brought up routers. Your statement really makes no sense. No one said anything about cloning a Tekin or LRP system. I was just saying that the cheap EZ run knockoffs are not clones, they are the exact same thing, made in the exact same plant as the originals. And that the profit margins are so slim that no one would really be able to justify an entire tool up just to clone a cheap crappy motor when they can just get it from the source. Cloning a Tekin motor would actually seem more justifiable, since the resale is high. I am not saying china doesn't clone stuff... because they do, **** loads. But they dont clone cheap stuff that is already made in china, especially when they can just get it from a manufacturer.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:33 AM
proanti1

ORIGINAL: hindupimp2384

NOT TO BE RACIST.....But Chinese and African Countries are criminals/crooks. SO JUST BUY USA PRODUCTS THAT HAVE A GREAT NAME AND HISTORY.
You are aware that most "USA PRODUCTS" are made over seas right?
Old 05-30-2011, 09:42 PM
ozzie-crawl

[/quote]
You are aware that most ''USA PRODUCTS'' are made over seas right?
[/quote]

thats 100% correct,how do people think the Chinese copy the original in the first place,well its because they make the real deal.
lot of people jump up and down about new Chinese motors and esc, saying there junk and the company is new and no nothing. truth is a lot of these companies are the one that have been making the so called american,japanese etc products for a long time.
most people dont want to except the fact that there beloved company whom they happily hand over $400-$500 to for a kit is getting it made for $50 in china.
but now these companies are selling there own products for 1/2-1/4 the price and quality is usually just as good as the more expensive counterparts.
its like how many times have seen people say "dont buy Chinese lipos". but who else besides Korea make lipos ? certanly not America
Old 05-31-2011, 12:32 AM
Haddi Taha

ORIGINAL: ozzie-crawl

ORIGINAL: hindupimp2384

NOT TO BE RACIST.....But Chinese and African Countries are criminals/crooks. SO JUST BUY USA PRODUCTS THAT HAVE A GREAT NAME AND HISTORY.
You are aware that most ''USA PRODUCTS'' are made over seas right?
thats 100% correct,how do people think the Chinese copy the original in the first place,well its because they make the real deal.
lot of people jump up and down about new Chinese motors and esc, saying there junk and the company is new and no nothing. truth is a lot of these companies are the one that have been making the so called american,japanese etc products for a long time.
most people dont want to except the fact that there beloved company whom they happily hand over $400-$500 to for a kit is getting it made for $50 in china.
but now these companies are selling there own products for 1/2-1/4 the price and quality is usually just as good as the more expensive counterparts.
its like how many times have seen people say "dont buy Chinese lipos". but who else besides Korea make lipos ? certanly not America
I'm not african or chinese but hindupimp's comment is rasict and if not edited, someones gonna report him.
Thats like saying i don't mean to be nasty but i am going to steal your car.
I'm pretty sure only a small small fraction of chinese/african are crook. If i said that all hindu's are so and so you wouldn't be pleased.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:38 AM
ozzie-crawl

just changed my reply as it showed both quotes and i was only agreeing with proanti1 not the other racial comments
Old 05-31-2011, 05:21 AM
The Mad Modder

double post
Old 05-31-2011, 05:29 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: ozzie-crawl

1.Just because they know how to make good electronics doesn't mean that they are making good ones. Often times lower priced companies cut corners here and there so they can afford to sell you things so cheap.
2.I thought this thread was about knockoffs. Are you saying that new chinese companies such as tacon are making knockoffs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.