Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Hpi e10 always burning out spur gear

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 09:07 AM
The Mad Modder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hpi e10 always burning out spur gear

ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

[img][/img]
I get parts from hong kong in 5 days with ems postage or 8-10 days with hong kong post.
Although it is basic, the tt01e is a great car, very durable and bash worthy. Not a track racer as it doens't have all the adjustments. I've got one.
You're in australia, though, syco, the OP and I are in the USA.
edit: forgot to mention, have you fixed the spur gear issue? It sounds like the motor screws slipped so the mesh is to tight.

Looking into it, I've found that it's common to have gear mesh problems because of the flexible plastic it's made of. Toss a brushless system into the equation and you have a car with serious issues. It really is too bad. My brother started into hobby grade RC cars with a RS4 Rally. It was very high quality car and he still has it. Unfortunately it seems quality has slipped at HPI since 1998.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:49 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I receive orders from Hobby King in about a week as well. I'm in Canada. You must know which shipping method to use otherwise you'll be waiting.

Ryan
Old 07-21-2011, 03:09 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder

Looking into it, I've found that it's common to have gear mesh problems because of the flexible plastic it's made of. Toss a brushless system into the equation and you have a car with serious issues. It really is too bad. My brother started into hobby grade RC cars with a RS4 Rally. It was very high quality car and he still has it. Unfortunately it seems quality has slipped at HPI since 1998.
Yea the E10, and EB10 had some SERIOUS quality issues.
Honestly the way HPI handled the EB10 put me off of buying their newer models(like the mini savage coming out) till I see they have a pile of aftermarket support, and see how people like them
If HPI would have followed through and made some durability upgrades they could have given tamiyas DF-02, and TT01e a serious run for their money(honestly I like the HPI's layout better than the tamiyas). But they decided to leave them as bottom of the barrel RC's, and charge more than the others do for superior machines.

@ryan_t888 That is hobby king if you select EMS, and pay like $20+(I think that is minimum charge) yes you will get it fast. Most the places in china that sell RC parts do not offer that so you are going to get your parts in weeks. Plus add that to US customs time, and it can take weeks if not over a month easily.
Even hobby king if you select the cheapest shipping it will take damn near a month to get your stuff.

EDIT: Fixed the quote box can't believe I missed that [:@]
Old 07-21-2011, 10:42 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[img][/img]
I get parts from hong kong in 5 days with ems postage or 8-10 days with hong kong post.
Although it is basic, the tt01e is a great car, very durable and bash worthy. Not a track racer as it doens't have all the adjustments. I've got one.
You're in australia, though, syco, the OP and I are in the USA.
edit: forgot to mention, have you fixed the spur gear issue? It sounds like the motor screws slipped so the mesh is to tight.

I know

Old 07-22-2011, 07:18 AM
lowerthinu

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

take the motor, tires, and electronics out sell the rest for $70 on ebay
The E10 is a piece of crap(I owned the buggy form) that can't take any power, and basically HPI told me the same thing about the EB10.

The Tamiya TT01E is vastly superior in every way, and can be upgraded to handle BL pretty cheaply. Also can e modified cheaply to use the mount points from HPI bodies.
Paid $130 for my kit $30 for CVD's, $12 for diff cups, and $7 for steel crown gears(off a DF-02). Threw a 4000kv HW 35A setup in it on 2S, and it drives great. Only gripe with tamiya is the lack of pinions spots.
THATS THE FUNNY THING !!!! recently purchased e10 on ebay. got the package , opened it up and low and behold a bashed piece of garbage. Looks like the person who owned it originally did this excact thing to me. Advertised e10 rolling chassis but neglected to mention he was to stupid to build the car right. Then sells it minus motor , esc ,transmitter , am chip , and sells it to someone as a "roller" , but doesnt tell you they ran it through mud and sand, Tells you they have 2 sets of tires....niether worth the crap they glued them together with....dont tell you the spur gear is shot to s@#t , and the drive shaft is a twisted hunk of garbage either ! So lets not talk about the blown front diff...should we ? This genius also cut up the battery area so they can fit the biggest battery in the car so they can compete against thier own stupidity when racing through the parking lot filled with water and sand. I own a couple of HPI vehicles , with little trouble and I feel the e10 is a very entry level car that would be great for a young person to start out with the help from a parent . Thats why I looked for the e10 roller for my youngest kid. If it was advertised as a piece of trash some one didnt know what they were doing with I would have went with new one.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:44 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

I'd just like to comment about owning a Tamiya, and living in the USA.

I have directly dealt with dinball and stella models for at least two years in the past. I found it very nice to find a free gift from stella each time I bought from them, but dinball's packaging was better. Either way, I would spend anywhere from $15 to $35 on shipping alone. Dinball's shipping charges are the worst in HK. On dinball's eBay store it was $5 for the 1st item and $4 for each additional item at the time.

If I was only buying replacement gears for me and my cousin's M0-3Ls from dinball, the shipping cost amounted to around 600% of the items' purchase price. I later found both stella's and dinball's website and instead of dealing with them via eBay, I ordered straight from their sites. Shipping was still unacceptable and outrageous to me.

No more.

Now, I order my Tamiya parts straight from Tamiya, and right here in the USA in California. I go to TamiyaUSA when I can't find what Ineed nationally, and I've never paid over $4.99 for shipping. Think about that - I've ordered lots of things at once, and single items as well. $4.99!

I shop there now, because even though a handful of items I've purchased cost a lot more than in HK, I knew I would get my items within 5 days, packed neatly, and not looking like it was thrown around like a hot potato.

I have had dinball loose an order on me twice before it even shipped, and have also received four packages that look like they've been put in a garbage compactor, even though its contents were not broken. I have also had to wait 2-1/2 months for delivery; once from both stella and dinball. Another eBay HK seller, whos name I can't quite remember, was the fastest (the name started with a J or had a J in it) but their inventory was limited and I don't remember ordering from them that much at all. Irregardless, that eBay HK store's shipping was on par with the other two.

Aside from paying a little over $204 to TamiyaUSA for my TA05 bulkheads ($102 ea.) I have realized that even if they have prices higher than the HK store, I save every time because of those insane shipping charges alone.

So, when you need a part and can't find it in an online hobby shop in the USA, go ahead and go to HK's online stores. Pretend to buy the item or items you need, and go through the motions on the web site. Right before they ask you for a payment type, they'll typically display the total price with the shipping. Write that number down and exit right out of the online store. Then, go to TamiyaUSA and do the same thing. Look at how much you just saved!

Just something to really think hard about, for those who live here in the USA and own a Tamiya.

I will miss those pretty postage stamps they have, with the illustrations of birds.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:59 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

dragnse7en why I said the sakura S was a bad idea in the US
Too bad ozzie-crawl got so butt hurt over someone recommending a TT01 over it then decided to rage, and run.

pretty much why I also order as much of the stuff I can like 3rd party hop-ups (which tamiya don't sell, or a few tamiya hop-ups that tamiya just never had in the US for some reason or another) from thetoyz.com they have a lot of the stuff and are in the US
Still on occasion thought I am forced to deal with dinball, and stella though when thetoyz don't have the things
Old 07-22-2011, 03:03 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

Oh crap - I read your post, but didn't even think to check thetoyz.com.

Thanks for the link - I've got it bookmarked now

Oh - yeah I noticed that Mad Modder's post were all dot dot dot. I was wondering about that lol

Old 07-22-2011, 04:20 PM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: dragnse7en

Oh - yeah I noticed that Mad Modder's post were all dot dot dot. I was wondering about that lol

You mean ozzie-crawl's posts were "...." . He even started doing that on other threads before he got tired and left. I'm still kinda shocked that he did that. I didn't think we were talking too aggressively towards him. Kinda reminds me of a guy named chaman who's been on a number of sites(including ultimate rc, scale4x4rc, and here on RCU) making build threads of his scale trucks. The guy would do the exact same thing on his build threads if anyone criticized him even constructively. He'd delete all his pictures and posts in that thread. The sad thing is both of them are(or at least claim to be) adults with children.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:44 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

sorry, that's who I meant.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:57 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

You mean ozzie-crawl's posts were ''....'' . He even started doing that on other threads before he got tired and left. I'm still kinda shocked that he did that. I didn't think we were talking too aggressively towards him. Kinda reminds me of a guy named chaman who's been on a number of sites(including ultimate rc, scale4x4rc, and here on RCU) making build threads of his scale trucks. The guy would do the exact same thing on his build threads if anyone criticized him even constructively. He'd delete all his pictures and posts in that thread. The sad thing is both of them are(or at least claim to be) adults with children.
I've seen a few others that when someone disagrees with them they are like SCREW THIS I'M GONE, and deletes all the text in every post they had.
You know to prove a point...

What point that is I dunno, anyways IMO if people can't stand to have someone talk back to them they should NEVER join a discussion board.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:01 PM
Haddi Taha

You mean ozzie-crawl's posts were ''....'' . He even started doing that on other threads before he got tired and left. I'm still kinda shocked that he did that. I didn't think we were talking too aggressively towards him. Kinda reminds me of a guy named chaman who's been on a number of sites(including ultimate rc, scale4x4rc, and here on RCU) making build threads of his scale trucks. The guy would do the exact same thing on his build threads if anyone criticized him even constructively. He'd delete all his pictures and posts in that thread. The sad thing is both of them are(or at least claim to be) adults with children.
I've seen a few others that when someone disagrees with them they are like SCREW THIS I'M GONE, and deletes all the text in every post they had.

What point that is I dunno, anyways IMO if people can't stand to have someone talk back to them they should NEVER join a discussion board.
so true, they only post so to show off. whenever a discussion starts about touring cars, he always comes in to say wow look at my pancar ,its 500% better than yours. Everyone knows that a pancar are crap for bashing.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:55 AM
The Mad Modder

Yeah, there aren't any guarantees here that everyone will agree with you.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:56 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Yeah, there aren't any guarantees here that everyone will agree with you.
Actually this place would be pretty boring if everyone agreed.
You would have one thread of people saying how great one RC is cause no one would own anything else seeing everyone would agree how great it is, and if someone disagreed the would be stoned... Kinda like the traxxas boards
Old 07-23-2011, 12:05 PM
rx7devil210

Alright guys ive decided to get a new chassis but which chassis to get can you guys help me out? Im gonna use my same motor and esc some people told me the tamiya tt01 is a good model. Any suggestions?
Old 07-23-2011, 12:38 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: rx7devil210

Alright guys ive decided to get a new chassis but which chassis to get can you guys help me out? Im gonna use my same motor and esc some people told me the tamiya tt01 is a good model. Any suggestions?
If going base line get the TT01E it is a bit superior over the plain ole tt01 which is a little cheaper(like $20).

BTW sorry about us jacking your thread
Old 07-23-2011, 01:20 PM
Haddi Taha

Do you mind building a kit? The Tamiya TA05v.2 and TB03 are even better than the TT01, but they are in kit form only, just something to consider. You will still have LOTS of fun with a tt01
Old 07-23-2011, 02:01 PM
warnos16v

Did you get ur stripping spur issue fixed?

If u are going to get another car.. why take a step back and get a tamiya.. u already have a HPI next step get the Hot Bodies TCX or TC..

Watch the tamiya guys bite..

Old 07-23-2011, 02:12 PM
rx7devil210

Its cool about the thread LOL i love watching you guys argue. But anyways naw i havent fixed the stripping spur gear yet if  i run it ill just run it for a little bit to make the spur gear last longer.  But hpi told me to go with the sprint 2 rtr brushless flux but i already spent $115 on a fuze motor which i wanna use thats why i was asking you guys which chassis to buy. I hope my next chassis doesnt have any problems.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:13 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: warnos16v

If u are going to get another car.. why take a step back and get a tamiya.. u already have a HPI next step get the Hot Bodies TCX or TC..

a step back from the E10 is a tyco, or a new bright... actually take that back the tyco might be an upgrade.

I'm no tamiya guy if anything I used to be a HPI nut case till the EB10, I have 6 HPI's(had 8 or so), 4 tamiyas (if you count my one bootlegged tamiya), 3 traxxas, 3 ofna jammins, 1 axial, 1 redcat, and 1 losi

damn I got alot never really tallied em up like that.

Sounds like me bought a BL setup for the EB10 fully upgraded it then found out the gears themselves couldn't stand up to BL power [:@]
My case the rear diffs drive gear the prongs that connect to the drive shaft turned to plastic goop. Then spent time looking for something that could run it.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:12 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

ORIGINAL: rx7devil210

With the BL setup, I would suggest that you do not buy any car that mounts its battery pack sideways - or this will happen to the pack if the car crashes:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spn1KBpnRHw[/youtube]

That happened to a couple of NiMH packs between me and my cousin's MO-3L Mini Coopers. I don't want to know what would happen if those were lipo packs. I imagine tt would probably resemble something out of the movie The Dead Pool with Clint Eastwood and Liam Neeson.

Every suggestion I've seen so far seems good to me. I guess it's all down to you to do a little research, and see which car has the best parts support in your area, online, or at your LHS.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:03 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

That happened to a couple of NiMH packs between me and my cousin's MO-3L Mini Coopers. I don't want to know what would happen if those were lipo packs. I imagine tt would probably resemble something out of the movie The Dead Pool with Clint Eastwood and Liam Neeson.
Believe it or not this was a MO-3L with a Lipo before hitting a curb
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsTRxXvQY0s[/youtube]

Old 07-23-2011, 04:28 PM
The Mad Modder

With the BL setup, I would suggest that you do not buy any car that mounts its battery pack sideways - or this will happen to the pack if the car crashes:

You have to remember that the m03(and tl01 for that matter) has a bumper with no cushion to it. It's pretty much instant deceleration. I've seen the m04 and m06 with foam bumpers, though so I think it'd be possible to fit them to the m03 and m05 to help with that.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:42 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

Believe it or not this was a MO-3L with a Lipo before hitting a curb
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsTRxXvQY0s[/youtube]

Okay - so if my cousin and I both together drove em straight into a brick wall, then this would happen - agreed?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wVEhafuF7A[/youtube]

I'm a Star Wars freak - not Shag Trek. Although I really like the newest movie with Chris Pine and Eric Bana.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:40 PM
Haddi Taha

ORIGINAL: warnos16v

Here are good candidates:
Tamiya TA05V.2
Tamiya TB03
Tamiya TRF416
Tamiya TRF417
Associated TC3
Associated TC4
Associated TC5
Associated TC6
Hotbodies Cyclone TCX
Hotbodies Cyclone S

The one you choose will depend if you want to bash, race or both, budget and how easy it is for you to get parts for it.

What would be your budget on a new kit and what are you keeping from your old HPI E10

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.