Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Should I get a tc4 or tc5? Need help with my build

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 08:40 AM
namewasdallas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I get a tc4 or tc5? Need help with my build

So I currently have a E-Firestorm that goes 70mph with a 3800kv castle motor and MMP on 3s. It's my offroad race truck and im sick of beating it up on the road when it isnt meant for that at all, It's strictly setup for offroad racing.. So I've had plans of getting a on road touring car to run on the roads and do speed runs, I've looked around at different car's and setup's and I'm going to get a TC-4 or TC-5, Now i have a few questions on which one I should buy.

Setup-

-4800kv Vektor Motor, AKA my stock E-Firestorm Motor , Rebaged Castle motor

- Rebaged Castle Sidewinder Waterproof ESC, Motor setup was fast geared right on 3s in my truck.

- I have a HPI S200 Servo, Idk if its any good it'sout of my HPI Cyber 10b 4wd buggy.

-Batterys, 2s 5000mah Turnigy Nano-Tech 45c-90c Burst and Turnigy 3s 2650mah 25c

- I have Traxxas transmitter and reciver to use till I pick up a cheap 2.4ghz HPI setup like in my Firestorm super small and light and works perfectly fine for me.

This setup will easily clock 100mph with the right gearing which will be awesome

Now I know the TC-4 and TC-5 are both excellent car's But what are the Pro's and Con's of each.

I want to be able to run my Castle Fan on my Motor which From looking at each car I beleive the motor isnt sitting under anything and its placed to the side so I can easily slip it over the Motor's can.

What is the largest Pinion and Smallest Spur gear I can run????
I think I've read someone running a 69t or 70t Spur and a 31 Pinion but that may have been on a TC-3
Old 09-22-2011, 08:44 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Should I get a tc4 or tc5? Need help with my build

The major thing is the TC4 is shaft driven and the TC5 is belt driven. I would go with the TC4, have you looked at the HPI on-road cars?
Old 09-22-2011, 09:01 AM
dragnse7en
Banned

The TC4 has an internal gear ratio of 2.5:1, and the TC5 has an internal gear ratio of 2.0:1.

The TC5's gear ratio is better suited for BL motor applications, and their ball diffs are bulletproof.

I don't know the limits of gearing a TC4, but you can get as small as you want w/ the spur and as large as you can with the pinion on the TC5. I was using 64p gears when I had mine.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:35 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TC4 is shaft driven with a mostly enclosed drive train. The TC5 is belt driven. Both cars can handle brushless power. If your street is really dirty and dusty, go for the TC4.. if there is no risk of pebbles lodging into pulleys, go for the TC5.
Old 09-22-2011, 10:32 AM
DriftingFast

Yea, I would go with the TC4. The TC5's belt would shred if a small peddle got in your car
Old 09-22-2011, 12:23 PM
namewasdallas

Yeah I was reading about pebbles and other crap getting jammed up in belt drive car's and my roads arnt perfect im sure there's alot of small lil crap that would get jammed up. Only Thing with the shaft drive car's is possibly twisting the center drive shaft.. I know it happens trucks that are 4x4. Is that a possibiltity on the car's?

Is there a slipper clutch setup or how does that all work I know my HPI Cyber 10b 4x4 buggy has aftermarket Slipper clutch setup on it. I've never owned a running 4x4 so im just wondering how you can tune it under medium to full load out the hole and keep it from tearing up the drive train, cause in my firestorm it runs a slipper and i keep it medium tight so under a heavy alceration it wont wheelie and slips enough that I can get out the whole super fast.

I Just see these car's getting torque steer really bad unless the Ball Diff's take the grunt of it and then I see having to rebuild them every 5x10x.r

If anyone know anyone selling a TC 4 have them PM me, I found a decent looking brushed RTR T3 but idk if those are compairable to a TC-4?
Old 09-22-2011, 12:27 PM
namewasdallas

This is the Tc-3 I saw for sale, Looks pretty clean and is RTR just have to swap in my Brushless Combo

Old 09-22-2011, 12:38 PM
proanti1

That one actually looks pretty nice. It's not factory team, but it does have a lot of factory team components.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:47 PM
t9dragon

ORIGINAL: namewasdallas

Yeah I was reading about pebbles and other crap getting jammed up in belt drive car's and my roads arnt perfect im sure there's alot of small lil crap that would get jammed up. Only Thing with the shaft drive car's is possibly twisting the center drive shaft.. I know it happens trucks that are 4x4. Is that a possibiltity on the car's?

Is there a slipper clutch setup or how does that all work I know my HPI Cyber 10b 4x4 buggy has aftermarket Slipper clutch setup on it. I've never owned a running 4x4 so im just wondering how you can tune it under medium to full load out the hole and keep it from tearing up the drive train, cause in my firestorm it runs a slipper and i keep it medium tight so under a heavy alceration it wont wheelie and slips enough that I can get out the whole super fast.

I Just see these car's getting torque steer really bad unless the Ball Diff's take the grunt of it and then I see having to rebuild them every 5x10x.r

If anyone know anyone selling a TC 4 have them PM me, I found a decent looking brushed RTR T3 but idk if those are compairable to a TC-4?
Yes there are parts on the TC3 and TC4 that are inter-changable. I have only ran the TC3/TC4's with brushless setups and they handle just fine.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:10 PM
DriftingFast

If you get that come to me for help, I have a TC4.

Upgrades that one has (as far as I can see)
Factory Team Screws
Factory Team Battery Bar
FT turn buckles
FT Carbon Arms
Old 09-22-2011, 01:47 PM
t9dragon

I have a list of parts that are compatible between the TC3 and TC4.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:45 PM
namewasdallas

It looks like it has the Aluminum possibly Team Shock's? All the other TC-3's ive seen have the plastic shocks. Or am I mistaken.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:10 PM
DriftingFast

The shocks are factory team, but the caps arent
Old 09-22-2011, 09:43 PM
namewasdallas

Is the car I posted above a TC-3 or TC-4 because it looks like a TC-4. Im deff going with the TC-4 from what Ive been reading, I've was reading and it said the TC-3 where the motor sits the chasis heat sinks when the motor gets hot and makes it off balanced and can lift the rear wheel.

Been reading this thread has lots of good Info.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...stock-etc.html
Old 09-23-2011, 06:11 AM
proanti1

That is definitely a TC3, because of the chassis. If it were a TC4, it would have a little indentation where the motor sits. Most of the parts are compatible, but some of the are different, like the shock towers. The TC4 shock towers have more holes in them for better adjustablility. Same goes fort he a-arms. I have owned both, but I cant remember every little thing that was different. After looking more at that picture, it looks to be a complete factory team kit.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:43 AM
namewasdallas

I Think I have a really good deal picking up a used Hot Boddies Cyclone TC for $125 roller with Servo. Can someone give me some insight as to if these cars are good, I know they make some good 4x4 buggys. But I'd like more info so I know wether to buy it or not.

Here's a pic off the internet of the Cyclone TC

Old 09-23-2011, 11:53 AM
t9dragon

ORIGINAL: namewasdallas

I Think I have a really good deal picking up a used Hot Boddies Cyclone TC for $125 roller with Servo. Can someone give me some insight as to if these cars are good, I know they make some good 4x4 buggys. But I'd like more info so I know wether to buy it or not.

Here's a pic off the internet of the Cyclone TC

[img][/img]
Hotbodies is the racing side of HPI. From what I have heard they make some nice cars but I have never owned one. I love the Xray cars and I have owned several of them but they are spendy..
Old 09-24-2011, 05:09 AM
namewasdallas

Yep, The guy owns a hobby shop around here and he said its mint condition and only wants $125.00 It's a roller with Servo, So after reading a bunch about it I think I'm going to buy it.

I have a indoor track that races 1/10th touring car's, It's 1s Lipo Racing with Novak ESC only and any 17.5 turn brushless Motor's. I'm thinking about possibly spending the $200, to buy a Novak ESC and a Tekin 17.5 T motor. The shop owner was saying alot of people run the Xray-s. They Also run Short Coarse Trucks indoors which I really want one so I can run it on my friends track where i run my firestorm. But I really want a On-Road car

Old 09-27-2011, 04:29 PM
alexchen86

TC4 Factory Team edition rollers are found pretty cheap off ebay or Rctech...I picked up a Factory Team TC3 for our 17.5 spec class...fun car and very easy to maintain. The only upgrades I had to do was basic suspension tuning, aluminum steering rack, aluminum drive cups, and a fast servo.

Plus the TC3 has been around for so long people have come up with rally conversions using the NTC3 parts.

TC3 and TC4 share a lot of the same parts so back ups are always easy to find. the TC5 and TC6 are more focused towards track use racing only being belt driven. Associated makes excellent products regardless which you decide upon.

All can handle brushless motors/lipos. Just don't get any RTR kits...the Factory Team upgrades are worth it.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:55 PM
tomst-maxx
My Feedback: (8)

idk about a tc3 or tc4 with a 4800kv and 2 cell lipo doing 100mph easy.........although if you do make it go that fast pls lmk as i have a sidewinder and 4600kv and run 2 cell lipos in my tc3 and would love to go that fast lol

if you have never driven a onroad car before start slow and work your way up with speed, they handle very diffrent from off road vehicals
Old 09-29-2011, 06:33 AM
proanti1

ORIGINAL: tomst-maxx

idk about a tc3 or tc4 with a 4800kv and 2 cell lipo doing 100mph easy.........although if you do make it go that fast pls lmk as i have a sidewinder and 4600kv and run 2 cell lipos in my tc3 and would love to go that fast lol

if you have never driven a onroad car before start slow and work your way up with speed, they handle very diffrent from off road vehicals
No, it wouldn't do 100 with a 4600kv motor. You would need something like a 9000kv motor. You would also need a nice body, and foam tires.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:02 AM
namewasdallas

It would do 100 with the 4800kv motor, Your thinking of it all wrong man, just cause its a lower KV doesnt mean it isnt possible of spinning  enough Rpms to hit 100mph, My friends rustler did 102mph with a 2200kv on 6s geared 34Spur 31t Pinion and its 15pound car with running no body at all just a Roll cage...

the 9000kv is a 2 pole Motor, 4800kv is a 4 pole Motor, which will allow alot more gearing without over heating.

9000kv is 2s only, The 4800kv Motor is a 3s Motor, so It can run 11.1v instead of 7.4v

Now the 9000kv motor will spin 66,600rpms on 2s

4800kv- 53,280rpms 3s

So here's the Difference the 4800kv Motor will spin less Rpms then the 9000kv but I will be able to gear it alot higher then the 2 pole to get the speed im looking for.

I'm also well aware of running foams because they dont expand and with such a light car It will hit 100mph with the right Pinion and Spur setup. I'll be running my Max Amps battery to get the job done.

I havent bought the Cyclone TC yet becasue what the guy has is the Cyclone TC black edition and i wanted the the one with the purple aluminum parts. So i may pick up a TC5 instead if I can find a used one for a good price

If anyone has a TC5 roller or with Servo PM please!!!
Old 09-29-2011, 08:08 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Should I get a tc4 or tc5?
get a TC6!
Old 09-29-2011, 04:28 PM
tomst-maxx
My Feedback: (8)

there is no way your buddy hit 102 in a rustler that had no body on it, nor will a tc3 hit 100 using your setup. I would strongly suggest you invest in a better radar gun. If you are truly hitting these speeds you should be setting records at the fastest rc car comps.
Old 09-29-2011, 05:44 PM
namewasdallas

It doesnt matter what car you use to hit 100, And are Radar gun is spot on. We arnt setting any records as there is a ton of 100mph+ Setups.  Yes a nice body would help with speed but we dont have one. If you wont believe me about the 100mph rustler setups, go to youtube.com and type in 100mph Rustler. and it will pull up at least 3-4 of the same exact builds. Here's a picture of the 10-15pound Rustler with the Mamba Monster ESC and 2200kcv motor on 6s. Notice all the weight on the front end to keep it down at those speed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.