Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Kyosho GT2 vs Traxxas Jato 3.3

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 05:03 PM
TTMT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kyosho GT2 vs Traxxas Jato 3.3

I'm looking for a good on-road car. There aren't any convenient track locations near me, so I only race in the street in front of my home or parking lots, etc.

I have big block nitro and brushed and brushless off-road trucks, so I can support nitro or electric options.

The Kyosho GT2 and Traxxas Jato 3.3 look like the best on-road options in the $400 range (my budget). How do these models compare in terms of value and performance. I realize they have fundamental differences - 4x4 vs 4x2, but both are pretty well suited to running on streets and parking lots with pebbles and other obstructions. There don't seem to be any good brushless alternatives in this price range

I'm looking for other hobbiest experiences and suggestions. Thanks everyone.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:24 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Kyosho GT2 vs Traxxas Jato 3.3

The Jato is a truck and the GT2 is a car.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:17 PM
TTMT

Yes, but it's kind of a hybrid to me.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:26 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The GT2 is a FAR superior car, and you will have a lot more fun with it. It's even capable off road, with the right tires of course.

The Jato is an uncontrollable, unstoppable (****ty brakes), waste of money. Seriously, you will regret buying one.

Out of the box, the Jato is a bit faster... but that is basically because it's a stadium truck with a big motor and two-speed transmission crammed into it. You could get a GT2 up to 70 with the right motor and gearing, it will also retain it's value a lot better.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:32 AM
TTMT

Thanks.  I appreciate the input.

The GT2 looks like it's very high quality.  I have an ancient Kyosho road car powered by a .11 engine.  Can't remember it's name at the moment, but it still runs fine - very slow by today's standards, but fine.

Are there any alternatives I should consider - electric or nitro?
Old 11-28-2011, 10:40 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Uh, there is [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXTCJ1&P=0]this[/link], which is a great car, you just need to buy your own engine and radio for it.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:58 AM
TTMT

Thanks again.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:47 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

I personally love my Jato. It can be a jack of all trades. Pretty good offroad with some better tires, and pretty good on road with the stock tires as well. Its not going to handle quite like a 4wd car, but as far as the speed goes, its crazy My Jato has taken some real tumbles and has been rock solid reliable. I havent done anything to it. The only thing it really needs from the get go is better brakes, but thats a fairly cheap DIY fix.

If its handling you want, then the GT2 is the better of the 2, but if you like some versatility (jumping, off road, etc..) as well as crazy speed, then the jato is where its at[8D]

Here is a video of mine with bald stock tires

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpif6B8DReg[/youtube]
Old 11-28-2011, 02:49 PM
TTMT

Thanks a lot.