Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

NEW!!! Official Traxxas XO-1 1/7 onroad....

Old 11-30-2011, 02:41 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: NEW!!! Official Traxxas XO-1 1/7 onroad....

Looking at it why did they even bother with a foam bumper seeing its sitting behind where the chassis starts...
If it hits anything the bumper will be 100% worthless, granted at 50-100mph it would e worthless either way.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:00 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

traxxas says it is 8.6 pounds without lipos.
both 3s lipos togther add almost 2 pounds.

if they ran the vxl system, that would drop a few oz, plus running 1 lipo will mean dropping almost a pound.

so i dont see why a vxl system wouldnt work. the total weight would be about 9 pounds.

that is the weight of the emaxx without batteries, and the vxl CAN (tho i wouldnt) be run in an emaxx for a top speed of nearly 40mph with proper gearing and 3s.

so i really dont see why they couldnt make the car with the vxl system, and still run 50mph

i was alittle shocked by the weight of the car. since its based on the slash 4x4 i thought it would be close in weight. but they must have added alot with that wide and longer chassis that is nessesary for proper aerodynamics at high speed.

to bad. i think it would have been a better idea to make a 1/10 onroad off the slash platform with the vxl system. it would have been more price fiendly, and would have sold better IMO.

the car looks beautiful, but cost to much and has features that arent work the extra cost IMO.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:11 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

traxxas says it is 8.6 pounds without lipos.
both 3s lipos togther add almost 2 pounds.

if they ran the vxl system, that would drop a few oz, plus running 1 lipo will mean dropping almost a pound.

so i dont see why a vxl system wouldnt work. the total weight would be about 9 pounds.

that is the weight of the emaxx without batteries, and the vxl CAN (tho i wouldnt) be run in an emaxx for a top speed of nearly 40mph with proper gearing and 3s.

so i really dont see why they couldnt make the car with the vxl system, and still run 50mph

i was alittle shocked by the weight of the car. since its based on the slash 4x4 i thought it would be close in weight. but they must have added alot with that wide and longer chassis that is nessesary for proper aerodynamics at high speed.

to bad. i think it would have been a better idea to make a 1/10 onroad off the slash platform with the vxl system. it would have been more price fiendly, and would have sold better IMO.

the car looks beautiful, but cost to much and has features that arent work the extra cost IMO.

Why?
because it is still a lot of weight at 50mph to push
and they want to be the MPH kinds in RTR
50mph would be a step back for them, and not have the bling speed factor they are after [:-]
Old 11-30-2011, 04:39 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

that may be their problem, relying on bling factor to sell models.

they should be concentrating on making fast(not insane) durable and FUN to drive rc models.

i was a bit surprised to see them sell it RTR with a pair of their own 3s lipos. thats new for them. guess they wanna get their lipos out there.

i guess here is my thing, a 1/7 scale RTR brushless onroad is cool to me.....but not one that will cost 7-8 hundred dollars.

show me one under $500 RTR and i would be more impressed.

there is a guy in the redcat forum who took the 1/8 scale redcat aftershock 8e, and modded it to sit lower and run 17mm tires(onroad tires) and a 1/8 onroad body. in short, it looks awsome. and it will no doubt do 50mph with the ezrun system on 4s lipo. but cost him a fraction of what traxxas has just released.

as many have stated, while 100mph is impressive....its not nessesarly fun to drive. and you need alot of room for a car like that.

again, im just ticked cause the car looks soooo nice. the chassis clearly was made to go fast, and the body looks great. but no way would i pay $800 for any onroad car. i would just never get my money's worth out of it.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:03 PM
srt10

they should be concentrating on making fast(not insane) durable and FUN to drive rc models.

i was a bit surprised to see them sell it RTR with a pair of their own 3s lipos. thats new for them. guess they wanna get their lipos out there.

i guess here is my thing, a 1/7 scale RTR brushless onroad is cool to me.....but not one that will cost 7-8 hundred dollars.

there is a guy in the redcat forum who took the 1/8 scale redcat aftershock 8e, and modded it to sit lower and run 17mm tires(onroad tires) and a 1/8 onroad body. in short, it looks awsome. and it will no doubt do 50mph with the ezrun system on 4s lipo. but cost him a fraction of what traxxas has just released.

as many have stated, while 100mph is impressive....its not nessesarly fun to drive. and you need alot of room for a car like that.

again, im just ticked cause the car looks soooo nice. the chassis clearly was made to go fast, and the body looks great. but no way would i pay $800 for any onroad car. i would just never get my money's worth out of it.

I agree man....
Old 11-30-2011, 05:36 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well... to be fair, the motor/esc is an expensive thing on it's own, so are the lipos, that's half the cost of the car right there.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:44 PM
Mspeed

I actaully like it.....I might get one after I decide which E truggy to build/buy for next years racing season.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:45 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

and thats part of the issue right there!

a had they made their own 6 or 4s capable BL system it would have been a bit cheaper.

and they could have sold it without lipos. i mean, a skyfly 3s 30c 5000mah lipo is only $35-$40 on hobbypartz. why would i want to dish out way more for a traxxas branded(as i doubt they actually make it) lipo?!

and how much extra money is that radio with the iphone dock? a worthless feature IMO.

i really wanna know why traxxas thought that was worth putting in the car. If a new feature only give you 5 minutes of extra fun, then it aint worth the cost.
and i would only have fun with that iphone thing for about 5 minutes....then i would probly never use it again after that.

if traxxas wants to make a larger scale onroad with crazy speed, they should have considered selling it as a kit. i know this is not traxxas thing, but this car would be pretty cool as a kit. then, if you didnt have alot of cash you could do a mild BL system and have a cool 1/7 onroad that does 50mph. or if you had the cash, you could do a crazy BL system that would do 100mph(heck, the ezrun 150amp system would be capable of that at a lot lower cost)

I got all worked up, hoping traxxas was gonna try something NEW. but as pointed out, this is really just an extension of their current marketing plan.

traxxas is supposed to be about bringing people into the hobby, making good RTR models that most people can afford. this car they built, while impressive, is just absurd. there is little point to it.

they should have tried to make a stampede 4x4 that was larger/wider and could handle well!
Old 11-30-2011, 06:14 PM
bigcam406

im wondering how you are supposed to drive the car at high speed and pay attention to the ipod feature at the same time.talk about a distraction.i can see alot of unhappy owners picking up the pieces after trying to do both.i like the looks of the car,but its a little too much speed wise for me personally.maybe a scaled down version would of been a better choice.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:17 PM
87MagnumII

I'd almost bet that later on they will sell it as a platinum edition with no radio and a programming card to tune the anyway you want.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:21 PM
My Feedback: (4)

What I like:

Shaft drive
Nice layout
Not another -beep-ing Revo rebadge
Body looks cool
Seems to be designed from the outset to do a buck. I do like the factory-fitted diffuser, while I'm dubious it's effective on a car this small it is a sign the car was designed to go this fast from the word go.
Comes with two lipos and a charger for them, which is nice.
I also like the built in motor cooling duct. I want some third-party proof that the motor temps DROP above 50MPH, but I do take at face value that it will prevent it from overheating, and it shows that there is a fair bit of thought put into the aero.

What I don't like:

It's electric. Blah. Boring and soulless.
This is going to be a public nuisance nightmare. Do you really want the typical Traxxas owner driving a 100MPH RC?! I don't...
Did I mention it's electric?
It costs a thousand dollars. This may be a decent price for a quarter scale, but this isn't a quarter scale.
That elastomer-based shock absorber in the spur hub is a bit dubious. What's wrong with a tried-and-true slipper clutch that's been used in off-road for decades?!
Tires are gonna be a bear, I doubt every hobby shop has belted tires sized to fit this thing, and I definitely don't want to be anywhere near some noob running a non-belted tire on a car this fast.
It's not going to do a buck right out of the box unless you overgear the hell out of it and max out the cell count, actions which will fry the electronics in short order. A sensible setup may do 70, which is still way too bloody fast IMO, but not a buck.
The transmitter is hideous and only binds to iOS devices. Which is fine I suppose, given that most TRX buyers likely have iPhones, but it does no good for anyone who doesn't have one for some reason. Android users and people who don't want/can't afford an iPhone/iPod Touch in the first place are left out of many of the advertised features.
It is still a blooming rebadge! They lengthened, lowered and added aerodynamic bits to a Slash 4x4...
100MPH + Standard size servo = Eeeehhhhh...

Would I buy? Perhaps...if I saw one for $300 or so on Craigslist that I could verify isn't an absolute, or even literal, wreck.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:26 PM
MiamizFinest

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't believe the hate going on with this car, i for one really think that this is a huge advance as far as RC goes. Take it from someone who loves full out fast cars i think this is a knock out car.

First off, SPEED FOR SPEED this car is actually not that expensive. As most of you have seen theres TONS and TONS of videos on youtube with 8th scale brushless buggies doing 100+ mph and tons of 10th scale cars doing 100+ so THERE IS DEFIANTLY a demand for a car like this. To get 10th scale to 100MPH can be done for less than $1,000 using a TC4,TC3, TA-05 ect type cars but they are to small too weak to handle the power and are blowing over into the air 50% of the time. When i had my tc4, i broke at least something every week, there's even a video on my account on youtube where my car launched into the air at 99MPH and it wasn't a pretty site. (FYI any 10th scale with a LONG style front belt and rear motor is not a candidate for this type of speed thin long belts flip under heavy brakeing) Now in comes 8th scale buggies which there is again lots of videos on how get them to 100MPH all day long on youtube. There strong, durable, fast as hell, NEVER BREAK DOWN but...... there is the cost. A losi eight is roller is 600 bucks a castle combo is 325, then add lipo of choice servo of choice and radio of choice and you WILL NOT be under $1,000 dollars. The rc8b roller is 470, serpent 811 is 549, the 808 is 529, mugen is 469..... and so on all are great choices for triple digit cars but there not cheap. So with this car the COST of getting to 100MPH dependably seems pretty good, people can talk about the 4WD slash parts in this car not as strong as 8th scale buggy parts and i would agree 8th scale buggy is much strong. But then again ive seen first hand 4WD slashes hitting 100MPH so i know the durability in the drive train and parts ARE THERE.

Second, the fact they built a car to actually cut thru wind the correct way is honestly a big step foward in there end. The speed built buggies are just 100MPH Cadillac in IMO sure they'll get you to the speed u'd like but with all the power running thru the system of course it's going to hit the speeds it did. The car basically had to no choice but to haul ass.

Third, the car is built to get into the tripple digits with a 1650KV motor.......THAT'S JUST NUTS ,you gotta image the absolute MINIMUM KV you can run thru a buggy to get it over 100MPH is at-least 2650KV on 6S.........these people built a car that can do the speed on almost half the power. The engineering in this thing is spot on, 100MPH might be only outta the box but you bet your ass ill be pushing the envelope on this thing when i get it.

and last but not least the radio, the fact i can telemetry of my cell phone and program off my cell phone is a HUGE JUMP in the RC world. This is the way other companies need to start moving, this is the future. Lord knows how many times people have asked across forums if there would be a way to program a ESC thru a cell phone, and the fact this thing transmits back and fourth is MORE than anyone had asked for. I believe tekin had a way to be programed thru android style phones but this is way past that point. Does it suck you NEED apple product to get to 100MPH yes, i think if there is no way to unlock what ever govern's the ESC using a PC castle link it would be a back step in there end but seeing as its castle i don't see why you wouldn't be able to program the esc to your needs. Someone also mentioned the fact they choose apple, it only makes sense to choose apple (not apple fan boy BTW) iphone is the biggest cell phone on the market right now and is only going to continue to grow. Why would they make a radio comparable with something like blackberry when blackberry only holds 6% of the cell phone market??? You make something compatible with what ever is the growing standard, not only did they make it work with iphone they also included the itouch, you know how many millions of people have them?? i bet most of your kids or wife have one!!! Not to mention android wouldn't have worked, how many android phones are out there?? how many shapes and sizes are there?? it would have bin IMPOSSIBLE to make a radio with a tray to hold them all, where as apple took a standard size approach.

Anyway long story short (kinda) i think this thing is a huge step forward and hope REALLY HOPE more RC radio makes follow suit with this type of technology, FUTABA WHEN WILL MY IPHONE COMPATIBLE 3PKS BE HERE!!!!!!
Old 11-30-2011, 06:26 PM
proanti1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 378

What I like:

Shaft drive
Nice layout
Body looks cool
Seems to be designed from the outset to do a buck. I do like the factory-fitted diffuser, while I'm dubious it's effective on a car this small it is a sign the car was designed to go this fast from the word go.

What I don't like:

This is going to be a public nuisance nightmare. Do you really want the typical Traxxas owner driving a 100MPH RC?! I don't...
It costs a thousand dollars. This may be a decent price for a quarter scale, but this isn't a quarter scale.
That elastomer-based shock absorber in the spur hub is a bit dubious. What's wrong with a tried-and-true slipper clutch that's been used in off-road for decades?!
Tires are gonna be a bear, I doubt every hobby shop has belted tires sized to fit this thing, and I definitely don't want to be anywhere near some noob running a non-belted tire on a car this fast.
It's not going to do a buck right out of the box unless you overgear the hell out of it and max out the cell count, actions which will fry the electronics in short order. A sensible setup may do 70, which is still way too bloody fast IMO, but not a buck.

Would I buy? Perhaps...if I saw one for $200 or so on Craigslist that I could verify isn't an absolute, or even literal, wreck.
It's a slash, with a slightly different chassis. It's not $1000, MSRP is generally about 30% higher than retail.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:30 PM
Tarasdad

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

Never seen Traxxas post a waring like this for any of their other RC's

THE XO-1 IS FOR EXPERTS ONLY.

YOU MUST READ AND UNDERSTAND THE FOLLOWING WARNINGS
AND PRECAUTIONS BEFORE PURCHASING OR OPERATING THE XO-1.
Experts Only! This product is not a toy. This product carries our highest skill level rating, 10, and is not intended for use by children or minors younger than 16 years old. Individuals younger than 18 years old require responsible adult supervision during operation and maintenance. The XO-1 is only intended to be owned and operated by experienced users, with advanced skills, and expert driving ability. Responsibility, maturity, and common sense are required. This model must be treated with absolute respect and caution to ensure the safety of yourself and others around you. It must only be driven at its top speed on a closed course such as a racetrack or drag strip where there are safety barricades and pedestrian access controls. Operating the XO-1 in a careless, unsafe manner, without adequate care and preparation, can result in collisions with catastrophic consequences such as serious injury or death. Know your limits. Be honest with yourself about your true ability and be certain you have a location where you can safely run the model. The XO-1 contains LiPo batteries. LiPo batteries have a severe risk of fire and injury if they are improperly handled, abused, or misused. User must read and understand all included instructions, warnings, and precautions regarding the handling, care, and use of LiPo batteries. A LiPo balance charger (such as the Traxxas EZ-Peak Plus sold separately) is required to charge the batteries. Consult Traxxas or your hobby dealer if you do not know what a LiPo balance charger is. NEVER USE A NIMH OR NICD CHARGER TO CHARGE LIPO BATTERIES AS THIS CAN CAUSE FIRE RESULTING IN PROPERTY DAMAGE, AND/OR PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH.

SKILL LEVEL 10
This product carries our highest skill level rating and is not intended for use by children or minors younger than 16 years old. Individuals younger than 18 years old require responsible adult supervision during operation and maintenance.

USE CAUTION WITH LiPo BATTERIES
The XO-1 contains LiPo batteries. DO NOT charge the included batteries with a NiMh Charger. LiPo batteries have a severe risk of fire and injury if they are improperly handled, abused, or misused. User must read and understand all instructions, warnings, and precautions in the XO-1's manual regarding the handling, care, and use of LiPo batteries. A LiPo balance charger (such as the Traxxas EZ-Peak Plus, sold separately) is required to charge the batteries.

CLOSED COURSE ONLY!
Only drive the XO-1 on a closed course with safety barricades and pedestrian access controls. This is to prevent the possibility of injury or death resulting from collision with the model by another human being or animal.

PREVENT UNAUTHORIZED USE
Keep the XO-1 stored with the batteries removed, out of the reach of children and protected from access by any other unauthorized driver. Lock the power system whenever the model is stored to prevent access to its full 100mph capability by unauthorized drivers.

DRIVING 100MPH
The XO-1 is the world's first Ready-To-Race radio controlled car, capable of speed that exceeds 100mph. Driving at 100mph should never be done casually, without careful thought and preparation. Operating the XO-1 in a careless, unsafe manner, without adequate care and preparation, can result in collisions with catastrophic consequences such as serious injury or death. Know your limits and act accordingly.
SAFETY IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY
All of us at Traxxas want qualified users to safely enjoy the XO-1. IT IS ESSENTIAL that you read and follow all the precautions and warnings in the XO-1 manual, its included documents, and any cards or tags attached to the model. The abbreviated precautions outlined here are NOT a substitute for reading the complete warnings and precautions included with the model, in its manual, and included documents. All warnings and precautions MUST be strictly followed to help ensure safe operation.
You alone must see that the instructions are followed and the precautions are adhered to.
Marketing hype and CYA by Traxxas.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:36 PM

ORIGINAL: proanti1

What I like:

Shaft drive
Nice layout
Body looks cool

What I don't like:

Would I buy? Perhaps...if I saw one for $200 or so on Craigslist that I could verify isn't an absolute, or even literal, wreck.
It's a slash, with a slightly different chassis. It's not $1000, MSRP is generally about 30% higher than retail.

Check my edit. Also, I'd like to add, 100MPH on a standard sized servo?!
Old 11-30-2011, 06:39 PM

ORIGINAL: MiamizFinest
Not to mention android wouldn't have worked, how many android phones are out there?? how many shapes and sizes are there?? it would have bin IMPOSSIBLE to make a radio with a tray to hold them all, where as apple took a standard size approach.
And I suppose the batteries used by RCs are perfectly standardized in size and shape, right?

I don't buy that as an excuse. Electric RCs have had to have battery trays supporting many shape/size batteries for decades. There is NO REASON WHATSOEVER to not make a phone tray that can accept phones of differing shapes as well, except Apple money.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:46 PM
redbaron9898

i was hoping for an rc snowmobile
Old 11-30-2011, 06:46 PM
srt10

What I like:

Shaft drive
Nice layout
Body looks cool

What I don't like:

Tower's retail is $1900 and sale price of $1099 !!
as of today...
Old 11-30-2011, 06:47 PM
MiamizFinest

Not to mention android wouldn't have worked, how many android phones are out there?? how many shapes and sizes are there?? it would have bin IMPOSSIBLE to make a radio with a tray to hold them all, where as apple took a standard size approach.
And I suppose the batteries used by RCs are perfectly standardized in size and shape, right?

I don't buy that as an excuse. Electric RCs have had to have battery trays supporting many shape/size batteries for decades. There is NO REASON WHATSOEVER to not make a phone tray that can accept phones of differing shapes as well, except Apple money.
Correct, and whats the standard in rc battery tray's to size packs into a tray?? Add some foam if the pack is smaller than the tray??? Tighten the velcro strap harder to hold the pack in place??? all fine and dandy FOR A BATTERY. Would you like your android phone held in place with some foam squares??? How about some velcro straps holding it in place??? oh wait how would you see the screen???...... In order for it to WORK with android they'd have to have a specific bracket dedicated to EACH PHONE so the screen is clear and visible NOT TO MENTION TIGHT ON THE RADIO. The production costs to make brackets for each phone would be impractical period.

EDIT: I also read your post about 100MPH car and standard servo size??? UM i have 3 100MPH buggies right now that get along just fine with standard size servos. PLUS the tire situation is a non argument even if traxxas tires don't hold up the GRP rally tires are good for atleast 140MPH and can be purchased easily on ebay. Its standard 8th scale buggy size tires.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:55 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

I'll wait till people buy them, and hit a wall once with them totaling them to try and pick the tires up cheap
wonder if the body will fit on a slash or pede 4X4 so I can make a killer looking rally car

I STILL want to know why the hell does it have a foam bumper behind the chassis air scoops.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:23 PM
supafastsupra2

It's not about money from Apple, it's about what's practical. Plus do you REALLY think Apple is paying Traxxas to make this compatible with their iOS devices? Doubtful.

The largest issue with Android is the fragmentation across devices with the so-called "open" platform. There is no guarantee that because it will work on phone X that it will work with phones Y and Z because the software are hardware variants are controlled by several manufactures and in some instances the wireless providers themselves. Apple is a single entity and they have complete control over their OS and their hardware. This is both a pain in the ass for some and a blessing. For the sake of compatibility on a given product it becomes much much easier to support and ensure a fully functional and fluid experience.

Regardless, I do plan on buying one eventually. It gets rid of most of the shortcomings of the 1/8th scale buggies and GT type cars we've been using for 100mph+ runs in a good-looking and functional layout. ONLY gripe is the included lipos and radio. Why include lipos (sub par lipos at that) at all if it's not going to include a charger as well? Other than that, Traxxas hit a home run in my book with this car.

If you're complaining about the price, don't buy it! There's a reason they went with such a large car, and with the larger size electrics comes a higher price.

@ SyCo_VeNoM : The foam bumper is so the body retains its shape at high speed. We often use oversized foam bumpers contoured to the body/hood on the 1/10 and 1/8 cars to prevent it from caving in at speed.

Cheers
Old 11-30-2011, 07:24 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

How could it be a Slash on a different chassis? It is no where close to being a Slash.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:34 PM
srt10

An $1100 Traxxas is a joke.. IMO
Old 11-30-2011, 07:39 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

How could it be a Slash on a different chassis? It is no where close to being a Slash.
i will agree here, there is alot that went into the new chassis. it may share the drivetrain layout of the slash...and maybe even the diffs.
but the rest of the chassis is new, and meant to be aerodynamic. and i give traxxas credit there.

the balance of the chassis is also an improvement over the slash. there is no doubt the the battery layout and esc/motor layout is balanced near perfect.

maybe i will make a stretched redcat caldera chassis and use the traxxas body on it
Old 11-30-2011, 07:55 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: srt10

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

It's a TEN POUND CAR, the VXL system will not push it.

Granted, 2 of those pounds are motor if it's a 1717.
CC1717 = 20oz
OK, so 1 lb 4 oz of that 10 pounds is the motor (if it's a 1717)[&:]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.