Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Why Speed Is Never Cheap

Old 12-02-2011, 01:23 PM
Rocketeer10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Speed Is Never Cheap

After the announcement earlier this week from Traxxas, we have continued to learn that Speed Is Never Cheap. But Why? Stephen Bess Of Car Action tells us why....but we would like to know, how you guys feel about that. Shouldn't these cars be getting less expensive rather then more expensive? I understand all the technology behind the car, but did they only want to sell a few hundred of these rather then thousands?

Check out Stephens's article, let us know. rccaraction.com/blog/2011/12/01/speed-is-never-cheap/
Old 12-02-2011, 02:22 PM
ceratog

Default RE: Why Speed Is Never Cheap

Traxxas is a niche RTR company. I have owned a couple of their products in the past and have always found them to be quality vehicles. I don't think anyone would miss the mark in saying that with Traxxas, you pretty much get what you pay for. They also consistently bring new blood into the hobby which is essential. While a $1100 vehicle is certainly not in my RC budget I know that it is within reach of plenty of other folks out there.

On the flip side of this, you have hordes of 'foaming at the mouth' RCers who have the drive and the knowledge to turn a $200 kit into a 100mph bullet. It may or may not be as pretty as a Traxxas car but it's the journey that we find rewarding. As with most everything else in this hobby, it's all a matter of taste. And if Traxxas can continue to innovate and bring more people into the world of RC by providing quality RTR products, then more power to them.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:22 PM
Mspeed

Seems like there will always be alot of people that will complain and hate on traxxas and their new car no matter what is said; however, I have tried in the past to go fast with nitro and electric. Imagine if traxxas used 8s or even 7s to break 100mph. You would get people all upset x100. Traxxas did it on 6s and put some thought into it so you dont have a 1/10 blow away on a grasshopper car. Sure driving that fast requires something that alot of people cant even comprehend or achieve due to lack of a place near them or interest or skill/understanding, but there is clearly a market for it even if you cant achieve it you know you have it with a car engineered to handle it more efficently. As for the controler...before the car's release there has been talk about racers putting set ups on their iphones etc...LcD screen controlers are a common thing amoung the highend radios, so why not look into the future and design a radio that has a optional LcD screen that you can remove. The only time i use mine is when i have to adjust something or want to know some data logged. Its nice if you dont have to pay for it if you already have it on your phone, especailly if you maynot want or need it after the novelty wears off.

All this stur for traxxas actaully is funny/good. It seems (or it is) like a lot of people are short sighted and close minded. There are some new advancements within this car that might help pave the way for our future in rc. Crush drive, combining iphones etc with radios, alot more thought into efficency with bigger vehicles and higher loads demands, belted tires that can handle brushless power and speed, stuff like that comes with a price when made big enough to handle very high speeds. As a company, I say great job.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:40 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

I'm not a car guy, but love the speed. In any RC, speed will cost you around $1000, good quality electric boat or plane and NO batts OR radio included! So you people have quite good, I would say Plus , it's normal to target the rich(er) population demographic in a recession. They've got the money to spend on toys, just give them a good reason to buy it.

Cheers,V.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:05 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

most of this dudes posts are spam for RCcar action, and normally after starting an argument he never returns...
Old 12-02-2011, 04:16 PM
vasek

and where did you get this inaccurate info you smart ***** ?
Old 12-02-2011, 04:54 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: vasek

and where did you get this inaccurate info you smart ***** ?
If you are referring to me a few of his posts have been locked on the general board after they turned into a flame wars. Its always a similar style to this post he did.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10823855/tm.htm read the last post

he has made a quite a few more that were deleted
Old 12-03-2011, 12:37 AM
vasek

You must be using ... or you're a troll. I never posted anything in the thread you show. One more post like that, & I'll be complaining to the RCU staff. Just watch your mouth!

Old 12-03-2011, 01:03 AM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

You must be using ... or you're a troll. I never posted anything in the thread you show. One more post like that, & I'll be complaining to the RCU staff. Just watch your mouth!

he is not talking about you he is talking about rocketeer10, all he seems to do is try to get traffic to the rc car action website and sell a few more magazines. RCU has ads so I think they should use those rather then spam the members with this kind of thing and have us post our opinions when they don't really care about them.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:09 AM
vasek

Thanks TKK for pointing this out to me. But he should have used a name or a quote when he's posting right after my post with some harsh accusations. I guess I got caught in a crossfire.... I'm outtahere
Old 12-03-2011, 01:44 AM
Foxy

Thanks TKK for pointing this out to me. But he should have used a name or a quote when he's posting right after my post with some harsh accusations. I guess I got caught in a crossfire.... I'm outtahere
Dude, chill out. If you read the OP properly you'd see it has a link to RCCA and realise that syco didn't mean you.[&:]

Don't worry about it guys, indeed all this gentleman is doing is directing traffic to his site, he never comes back to respond to anyone's thoughts, I've sent him messages explaining that we don't allow this kind of thing, to which he never replies. I've said it before, it's sad times when even the major publications have to resort to this kind of tactics to generate revenue.

Rocketeer, unless you start participating like a person in this forum, rather than a spambot, I will summarily remove anything you post with a link in it. I'm sure that makes me the bad guy, but as I've said to you before, RCU wants to be a friend to the big RC organisations, but what you're doing is not acceptable.

Another thread locked.