Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Why do so many people hate Traxxas???

Old 12-02-2011, 08:21 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Why do so many people hate Traxxas???

Why do so many people hate Traxxas???

Can we have a civil debate about this, and no stories about someone else,

REMEMBER BE NICE

I dont think they are anything speical but Im a bit of a fan & do enjoy there productx, Revo 3.3 Platnium, Brushless Slash 2wd, Brushless Rustler.

For what they are & the price I payed I cant fault any of them.... HPI diffrent story

Traxxas has great customer support, helpfull web pages, easy to understand manuals, parts are everwhere, there products are cheap, great cheap aftermarket upgrades, most of there products has loads of tuneability, loads of different rc vehicles to appeal to a larger market meaning there is a higher chance they have something to suit most people, unique designs, market leader, multi award winner & they sponsors loads of shows for the public... what more could u want????

If traxxas is so bad, I would like to hear people oppinions on whats the best r/c brand overall, not just the fastest brand around a track, lets face it, under 20% of people that own a r/c car race it, the other 80% dont care, most of these people dont even tweak there cars, IMO the market is not for race cars its for normal people
Old 12-02-2011, 08:42 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why do so many people hate Traxxas???

My cousin owned one BITD, and I used to work on them way before I joined the U.S. Army.

Traxxas seems to be cheap on the plastic that they use; very chincy. Poor quality and bad designs all around, from my simple exp.

Hope that wasn't too harsh - it's just the truth.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:01 PM
On2_n_On4

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same reason people hate, fords, chevys, imports...etc.
fanboys.. is that simple.

I have never been a traxxas fan.. but guess what? I had the 1st gen. tmaxx when it first came out, and I now have a 3.3 revo. go figure!
Old 12-02-2011, 09:03 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

I have also owned RC's from Losi, Associated, Kyosho, Yokomo, Xray, GS Racing, XTM, Tamiya, Traxxas, Axial and HPI.

I like Traxxas (I still own my first old-school E-Maxx), they make some nice RC's but I prefer HPI and Axial.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:23 PM
Mspeed

Its actually funny to me that there are so many people that love to bash traxxas. Ill hand it to traxxas, they got a good stir going and it probably is helping promote their sales more and more. I mean they even got it on the news lol.
Let's see....

Maybe we are seeing more of the 20% that are more represented by only the haters lol.

It's sad really, cause only traxxas is allowed to make something like this that causes such a stir. Maybe the other companys would lose their customer base and go broke if they tried to pull it off lol. Maybe traxxas just knows how to market and sell and that makes some people mad lol.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:14 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree they have a good market following, mainly due to advertising, but its not only that, other companys tryed short course trucks before the slash (tamiya & losi) but the thing that made it for them was the price, and the quality of it, all the parts had proven them self in the other cars like the rustler & stampede so the only real new thing was the chassis layout. The people liked this, it felt familiar. Now because it was so popular traxxas unintentionally created a market for other brands to to make SCT, because everyone had a slash, people were looking for something that will make them faster then the next guy, so nowdays there are dedicated raceing SCT. Just because there is a faster SCT out there is does not mean the slash is rubbish,Its just not something u go to nationals with. mind u it still beats most SCT in price.
I use to be a big Tamiya fan, now i think i like traxxas line up more & i sware by HPI's bodies, IMO they are the best massproduced scale bodies
Maby its the diehard fans that put people off???

So far what can we all agree on?
Traxxas started SCT craze but was not the first ever produced.
They are the maket leader
Traxxas vehicles are one of the benchmarks for preformance

Stupid me thought I posted this in the Off Road section, dammm (only because traxxas make more off roads than anything els)
Old 12-02-2011, 10:32 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are a few issues I know of that I like to bash em for
1 is plastic axles on trucks meant for brushless power... Seriously why would you put plastic axles on RC's that are meant for BL power? How hard would it be to instead use a CVD, or even a cheap dogbone setup (IMO that would be superior)

2 extremely dated RCs like the sub $230 crowd Nothing wrong in staying consistent so parts are universal. Hell HPI does it with RS4's, and Savages. But unlike Traxxas HPI fixes weaknesses in the new versions. Not just change the chassis plastic color, slap new tires on it with a shell, and say its a new RC (monster jams ) I'm not talking complete overhauls make a brace so the chassis don't snap, or change the steering setup a tiny bit to make it easier to adjust/less likely to get knocked out of whack (my nephews get knocked so far outta whack if he clips something its not funny)

3 reusing the merv chassis throwing a new body on it, and making a huge announcement saying they came out with a all new RC.

4 the high price of some of their models. Seriously there is no reason a 2wd brushed pede should cost $180+ The RC paid its development off many times over. Look at the electrix for the most part from what I read they are as durable or even more durable than the traxxas counterparts, and cost quite a bit less.

5. Blatantly misleading claims on the box. This they are VERY famous for like DOES 75 MPH not saying geared to the point the electronics will fry if you do more than 2 speed passes, and you need a good wind blowing to help it along. Even the X0-1 it says does 100mph out of the box, then in small letters only if you have an iPhone hooked up... I wonder how many newbies that the 100mph claim attracts, and get them to want it(btw talking people that are new to the hobby not the people in general who want it) would look twice if they wrote something like Does 100 MPH IF YOU PLUG YOUR IPHONE IN all in the same font size.

6. The cultish rabid fanboyism they attract from some people, and how they stand out. I find it worst then the chevy/ford/toyota paseo lovers. Seriously some of the traxxas fan base It almost seems to me they think traxxas invented RC's kinda like how a lot of people think apple invented tablets, and MP3 players. Granted they can not help it in a way, but I'm sure the bold speed claims helps attract the zealots.

Side note I don't see traxxas's as being all that durable. If they were as indestructible as most people claim RPM wouldn't make parts for virtually every single model they make. If the stock parts were durable, and made well like people love to claim RPM would have no business at all for their trucks.

For the record I currently I own 3 traxxas vehicles so its not like I'm some traxxas hater
Old 12-03-2011, 12:53 AM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

The world is so full of hate now days. You don't have to look far to see it and it seems people just like to complain. I think most people need to take a chill pill and look at their own imperfect lives before getting into a hissy fit over something they have no control over. I can understand when people have legitimate reasons for not liking a product but some people carry on as though things should have been tailor made to their needs. I have also noticed a lot of people hate things for no good reason other then it's cool to hate it or if something is too commercial or too well known they have to dislike it just to go against the grain. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:07 AM
Foxy

I don't see a lot of people hating traxxas. What I DO see is a bunch of traxxas fanboys getting upset when us normal hobbyists say the slightest negative thing about them. It's the traxxas people that generate the hate with their attitudes more often than not. When a traxxas guy says his slash or whatever is the best car in the hobby cos that's what he thinks, having little experience of anything else, and people who know better laugh at them, the traxxas guy says everybody hates traxxas. If you're not one of them, you can't fight that. It's mob mentiality at its finest and soon degrades to what you see.

The best brand overall is Xray. The fastest brand is determined by the driver, so the metrics for 'best brand' have to be quantifiable; fit and finish, materials quality, design process, manuals, service, etc.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:13 AM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

I think what Foxy and I said pretty much both apply. The squeaky wheel always gets the oil, weather they are for or against... I don't hate any brands of RC there is just some that I like more then others
Old 12-03-2011, 04:30 AM
OvalRacer99

We live in a world where people are insecure about the choices they make in life, so to justify what they do, they feel the need to put down, or hate, something or someone who doesn't agree with them.
You see this in all aspects of life weather it's RC, full sized cars, politics or even what brand of soda pop you drink. There is way to much "my way or it's wrong" kind of attitudes.
I do not like Traxxas because when they first started producing RC cars, they were cheap knock off's and I can't seam to get past that. There is no doubt that they have made some things that have revolutionized this hobby, but their stuff is not for me. I feel Traxxas stuff is for bashing and I am a racer, so I tend to go more for the products that are made for racing without needing a bunch of upgrades.
If a person loves Traxxas, more power to them, there just not my "cup of tea".

Old 12-03-2011, 07:26 AM
quietnas1

I have owned AE, Traxxas, and HPI products. I have always been a basher so racing it's not really my thing. I loved my RC10GT. Had the tub chassis and the flat chassis. Both had RPM products. My Traxxas Jato 3.3 is a speed freak and I love it as well. Highly modified and also with RPM stuff on it. My HPI Savage X4.6 is a beast. It can take a hell of a beating and I also love this truck. Also soon to get RPM stuff on it.

To argue what SyCo said. Why does RPM make products for any of the RC's on the market. I don't like to keep anything stock my self. I think Traxxas overall is a good company making good products. I do feel they need to tone it down a bit with the speed claims but overall it is a good company. Great customer support, good product, and easy to follow manuals and diagrams. No hating here on my part but then again I don't hate any RC manufacturer.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:59 AM
tomst-maxx
My Feedback: (8)

as a basher i loved traxxas as just about every hobby shop carries it and has all types of parts for it, which is a huge plus when your bashing and parts tend to break. I got into real racing about 2 1/2 years ago and have real seen diffrences in brands, I raced AE and Tamiya. Every brand has its diffrences, what brad you preffer all depends on what your doing with it. For me if if i am going to race i prefer my AE or Tamiya, if i am playing in the yard with a few buddies bashing i am not going to bring out a modified "race" car/truck, I am going to bring out a rc that can take a beating, for me thats traxxas vehicals. i have ran Hpi and i like there onroad cars but was not happy with there savage, i personally felt my t-maxx was better.

Its funny now looking back cuz my first several rc's were traxxas and when i first went to see a race at my lhs i thought wow where is all the traxxas cars lol, I thought with all the advertising and support on the web and pages in my rc mags they had that they were the top of the line "race"car. I have now learned that there are better brands if you are going to be racing.

One thing that I have started not to like about traxxas is the fact that they keep saying they have a new car and it is just a new body and tires, to be thats nothing but marketing.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:33 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: Foxy

I don't see a lot of people hating traxxas. What I DO see is a bunch of traxxas fanboys getting upset when us normal hobbyists say the slightest negative thing about them. It's the traxxas people that generate the hate with their attitudes more often than not. When a traxxas guy says his slash or whatever is the best car in the hobby cos that's what he thinks, having little experience of anything else, and people who know better laugh at them, the traxxas guy says everybody hates traxxas. If you're not one of them, you can't fight that. It's mob mentiality at its finest and soon degrades to what you see.
I totally agree with you Foxy....
Old 12-03-2011, 09:34 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i dont love, or hate traxxas.

i do wish they would change some of their marketing, and design a bit.

but they also make many good models, that are fast/fun and durable.

i do hate the iphone crap on the latest X0-1. They took a truely awsome model, and added something that IMO the hobby does not need.

I also wish they would consider branching out a bit. i was hoping the new model would be a rock crawler, or a 1/5 scale.

i always keep a traxxas or 2 in my personal garage, and i usually reccommend a traxxas as an option for newbs...cause they are durable, fairly priced, and there is plenty of parts support for them.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:44 AM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

The best brand overall is Xray. The fastest brand is determined by the driver, so the metrics for 'best brand' have to be quantifiable; fit and finish, materials quality, design process, manuals, service, etc.
I fully agree with Foxy, as I think this is the biggest reason why so many don't care for traxxas anymore..
one thing for me that hits between the eyes is how the mods at traxxas treat their own members on that site..
they them selves don't follow their own rules.. I've seen many attacks from them (the mods) to members when they share a different opinion of a product, and that is total bogus!!
they will delete most anything that says their products are not perfect, and leaving the consumer wondering why they are having issues when the mods delete anything that says traxxas electronics are bad or having issues
I do know this, my local Hobbytown, not one eployee is a fan of traxxas for many reasons! [:-]
Old 12-03-2011, 10:26 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: quietnas1
To argue what SyCo said. Why does RPM make products for any of the RC's on the market. I don't like to keep anything stock my self. I think Traxxas overall is a good company making good products. I do feel they need to tone it down a bit with the speed claims but overall it is a good company. Great customer support, good product, and easy to follow manuals and diagrams. No hating here on my part but then again I don't hate any RC manufacturer.
Well I'm in the same boat about keeping things stock
I meant more along the almost mandatory RPM products certain traxxas RC's need. Like when people say the E-maxx is just as strong as the savage flux, then say BUT you need to replace this, this , this, this, and that with RPM products cause the stock will break from a jump... I used the E-maxx as a example cause I've seen it posted many times...
Old 12-03-2011, 10:35 AM
The Mad Modder

I completely agree.

Whenever someone has a bad experience with a traxxas vehicle and talks poorly about it on a forum, there's always gobs of traxxas fans that come pouring into the thread blaming the problems on the OP and claiming he's a traxxas "hater". Get real! Traxxas has its share of problems, just like any other company. It's not perfect.

My own reason for disliking traxxas is the lack of originality and chassis variety. For electric land vehicles, traxxas currently has 34 models, yet all of those are based on one of 5 different chassis. The mini rally and x0-1 are supposed to be onroads, but they are both based on offroad vehicles.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:39 AM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder

I completely agree.

Whenever someone has a bad experience with a traxxas vehicle and talks poorly about it on a forum, there's always gobs of traxxas fans that come pouring into the thread blaming the problems on the OP and claiming he's a traxxas ''hater''. Get real! Traxxas has its share of problems, just like any other company. It's not perfect.
let me take this one a step farther Mad Modder..
I've seen traxxas mids and traxxas employees come onto forums and blame users for traxxas failures! [:-]
Old 12-03-2011, 01:06 PM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

I don't care for traccas. It is mainly because they market to beginners, and while they do so effectively it turns away beginners. I know many people who wanted a hobby rc and just immediately turned to traxxas. Their cars are generally overpriced, and besides that often dont do what they say they will. I've known people who wanted onroad so the purchased a 1/16 slash, completely unaware of real touring cars. While they may be kind of fun, they end up turning people away from venturing further in. A base slash cost roughly $220, and that's quite a bit. For the same price you could build a decent amateur racer. Another thing I dislike is their adds. If you read a traxxas add, it will lie about the speed, have a few asteriks, and make everything good or bad sound great. In a Tamiya add, it will mainly just state the facts. I know that Traxxas is making a lot of money, and good for them, I just don't care for them myself.
(Note that this is coming from a person who spenda as little as possible and does mainly onroad bashing)

Old 12-03-2011, 07:42 PM
mechanizeddeath

I used to hate them, but I'm always about challenging my own opinions and beliefs, so I took a chance and bought a Stampede. Honestly, I like it, although the reliability leaves much to be desired. I literally drove about 25-30 feet and hit a garage door, and that was enough to break it. I hit that door all the time with my Dark Impact and it handles it just fine. This was a brushed XL-5 on nimh too, so it's not like I was reaching any insane speeds, it was box stock aside from bearings.

Once I'd replaced most of the suspension with RPM parts, it became one of my favorite RCs until I burned out the speed controller last year. I haven't bothered to replace the ESC since I have other cars to run and when I do I'll just go brushless.

Only other complaint I have is I seem to go through a lot of spur gears, and it's only with the Pede so it isn't like I'm gapping it improperly or landing at full power. But with the low cost and high availability of replacement parts just hanging on the wall of my LHS, I don't mind the breakdowns so much. Compare that with my Tamiyas, which require I wait a week or more while ordering the part and sometimes the entire parts tree or metal parts bag. Thankfully, they don't break very often.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:41 PM
xerxes

u strip alot of spurs on a brushd 2wd stampede?

on nimh?
[&:]
Old 12-03-2011, 10:45 PM
xerxes

my 40mph brushless 2s stampede wheely machine wit a lockd slippr has da same spur since june. xerxes dont evn use da gear covr.[&:]
Old 12-03-2011, 11:11 PM
xerxes

xerxes veiws on traxxas.

i luv em 4 most of dq same resons stated abuv.

i had a electric 4tec. it was alrite i gess. broke mor den a on road car shood tho.

stampede.

i broke a few stok spindls. ther rathr spindly.

i broke front hub carriers '& bent kingpins. thos r bad design. 2.5mm is 2 thin 4 a steerin pin.

i bent tons of shok shafts & blew tops off. notorious occuranses.

aftr i got all dos sortd out & cood start pushn it harder 20+ ft of air on2 cement. lawn darts i startd snappn chassis left & rite. tryd blak & grey chassis. bolth gav out.

turns out it wasnt da chqssis dat was da problm. it was da front skid plate. i was hittn mild 2 moderate air @ da sk8tpark & rolld it. wqlkd 2 go flip it ovr & da front skid plate was gone. it broke off & i coodnt find it anywher.

thers alum aftrmarkets. but xerxes maid his own. its bin 4mo of brushles lipo & major air & still on da same chassis & spur. iv got almost all da kinks workd out.

da stqmpede is my grab n go. small, light, cheep, & long runtimes.
ect.
ovr da yeers xerxes has accumulatd alotbof spare stampede parts. bearings rpm hubs arms bulkheds shok towers axles. i was tickld pink wen i brought my 2wd slash home & found i had a drawr full of spares parts & upgrades.

xerxes luvs it wen stuff goz 2gethr. sharing parts across diffrnt modles is a wondrfull thng. my 1/8 thundr tigers share parts, redcats share, dtx shares, & traxxas shares.

iv also nevr broke a traxxas control arm. evr. im still usn da original xl1 arms

since evry1 els was tiping out 1000word essays i cood 2
Old 12-03-2011, 11:18 PM
quietnas1

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: quietnas1
Well I'm in the same boat about keeping things stock
I meant more along the almost mandatory RPM products certain traxxas RC's need. Like when people say the E-maxx is just as strong as the savage flux, then say BUT you need to replace this, this , this, this, and that with RPM products cause the stock will break from a jump... I used the E-maxx as a example cause I've seen it posted many times...
I have to agree on this one. I had a T-Maxx for a couple of months that I was fixing for a friend and the stock arm are weak. Especially for a truck its size.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.