Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Bought a TT-01r type e did i make the right choice

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 06:24 PM
nickdude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a TT-01r type e did i make the right choice

i have been wanting a 1/10 scale electric car kit for a while. well after getting my tax return money i decided to pull the trigger. my budget was under 250. so i bought the tt01r on ebay for 137. then went to hobbypartz for the brushless motor, speed control,battery, and servo all for 100. so in total i have spent 237 which is perfect for my budget.

well here is my story i started reading different forums that says the tt-01e is a beginners car, does not handle well, is just for bashing. is this true? should i have gotten the tb-03? my budget was pretty strict and i really wanted a brushless setup. also im not going to race it but i do want a nice handling car. my previous 1/10 scale cars handled great (kyosho v-one S and yokomo gt4 rtr) they were great cars but im getting out of nitro and want a brushless lipo powered car that i can just charge up and go.

what do u guys think did i make a mistake or is the tt-01r a good 1/10 scale car? what are the upgrades to get it to handle well?
Old 03-04-2012, 07:22 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

Default RE: Bought a TT-01r type e did i make the right choice

The TT-01 series car seems to be a great basher, but if you could have afforded the TB-03 platform, well then, I don't know why you didn't go for it. You never mentioned the level of your driving skill

Do you still have the receipt? You can always turn back. The TT-01 series is meant to be a beginner's car.

However, it's a great car, and so is the TB03 series, especially when Tamiya cranked out that limited edition R series. I wanted one, but the item was so hot off the shelves straight from Japan, I never even got to know how much the thing costed before the whole line was done and sold out.

I have a friend down under, that loves driving his TB03 custom modded car, and hes loves it. I don't exactly know how he fit a 3S lipo in it, but he's shown me a good handful of videos. Please, keep in mind that he upgraded it too!
Old 03-04-2012, 09:07 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont i remember you nick? or was that a different nick?

anywho, check with the seller on ebay, you MIGHT be able to return it or exchange it.

however looking at the kit its not THAT bad, it claims it has close to $200 worth of upgrades installed, i would say the biggest downside is using bevel gears VS ball diffs.

WHAT EVER YOU DO, dont open up something you want to work like the more expesnsive model, you will end up paying too much and will also have little resale value, take me for example, got a HPI formula ten for $116 instead of a $150 tamiya f104, to make it work like the tamiya i had to spend $100, given i belive the HPI is much more durable and handles better than a F104 now, i wish i would have gone with the tamiya in the first place and saved the money.
The TB03 looks interesting.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:11 PM
nickdude

i am a novice to intermediate driver. i have very little time driving on a track, but when i was on a track i was very consistent. my background is in nitro cars but i have been researching electric cars for a while now and i was always in between both these cars. i guess i was taken in by the R of the tt01 and thought it would be good enough. i am going to receive the kit on Wednesday so i might decide then to either return it and get the tb or keep it and make due. but i have got to say i am having some buyers remorse.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:20 PM
Shabbernigdo

did your tt01r come with a purple tureno body?
Old 03-05-2012, 06:25 AM
nickdude

this is what i bought. I am going to try and fit an hpi body i have not painted or made holes in yet.

[link=http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=58450]TT-01R TYPE E[/link]
Old 03-05-2012, 08:55 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: nickdude

this is what i bought. I am going to try and fit an hpi body i have not painted or made holes in yet.

[link=http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=58450]TT-01R TYPE E[/link]
So you plan on keeping it?

It doesn't look like a bad car at all, to me. The R version comes with parts to fix many of the handling problems of the original.

Upgrades it comes with:
aluminum center driveshaft(helps when you use higher power motors like brushless systems)
tamiya cva oil shocks(very good shocks in my experience if built well)
tow in rear uprights(helps the rear track straight)
adjustable upper arms(gives it adjustable camber)
steering turnbuckles(allows front tow in to be adjusted)
Old 03-05-2012, 02:52 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

will say easiest way I found to mount a HPI body to mine was to go get an HPI RS4 body mount set and use that.

On the piece that goes on top of the front bumper you probably see the 2 holes near the screws. I used those 2 holes to mount the body posts seeing you get clean access from the bottom. On the HPI body (Nissan 350Z) I used it lined up almost perfect to where HPI put the marks for the body posts on the body.

As for if it will preform how you want that is hard to tell seeing every ones expectations are different.
I've bought RC's people said were great just to be disappointed in them, and bought RC's people said were trash, and enjoyed them.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:44 PM
nickdude

i think im going to keep it. i really cannot afford to get the tb-03. ill build it and post up pics and write how it performs to see if buying the tt-01e r kit is a good way to go for a budget racer/basher. thats good news syco. i actually had and hpi rs4 rtr for many years and have tons of parts for it. when i get the kit ill check it out and c if the post line up. also i was wondering if i should get the ball diffs or stick with the stock diffs seeing that i am adding a mild brushless kit.

[link=http://www.hobbypartz.com/ezrun-35a-9t-3650-motor.html]This is the motor and esc i bought[/link]

Old 03-05-2012, 07:04 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

stock IMO (well if the diffs get damaged you can use the DF-02's steel diffs with some slight modification to the bevel driving gear, if the tt01 you get don't have em already some have steel)

Have that BL setup in my TT01e runs cool.

I would recommend getting a steel pinion though. The stock TT01's pinion is aluminum (unless they hanged it), and after some use it will damage the spur from warping of the alum pinion.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:09 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

Good to hear that you got the R series. That'll save you the money on all the goodies included in the kit. Do you plan on modding it more?

Old 03-06-2012, 05:05 AM
nickdude

I was thinking on getting the 3 racing carbon fiber chasis. But beyond that idk I will have to see after I build it what I want to improve.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:08 AM
dragnse7en
Banned

I think I remember someone here looking for an alloy motor mount. I don't know if that's a weak part on the car or not though.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:28 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: dragnse7en

I think I remember someone here looking for an alloy motor mount. I don't know if that's a weak part on the car or not though.
Wasn't that the guy with the steel cage on his? I think his main problem was all of that weight.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:07 AM
nickdude

I saw that problem coming so I bought the metal motor mount
Old 03-06-2012, 08:42 AM
dragnse7en
Banned

Yeah - that metal chassis is pretty cool. Too bad the guy who makes them doesn't make them in aluminum.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:04 AM
nickdude

ok so here is an update. i received my kit on Wednesday and got my motor, esc, and radio yesterday so i started building it, its almost a roller (ill post pics tonight). first impressions is that it looks like a solid kit. it has A LOT of plastic parts, but it also has some metal parts that you would not expect on such a cheap kit. the diffs have all metal gears, aluminum drive shaft, metal dog bones, metal coupler. pretty much all of the drive system is metal or aluminum the only plastic is the gear cover so by just the looks of it, it should handle my brushless setup without breaking anything. the ball bearings are a nice touch. the suspension looks ok but definitely not a racing setup. i have not built the shocks yet (ugh c clips) so i do not have an impression on those yet. the weak point of this kit that i can tell so far is the chassis i already feel it flexing as i was screwing on the suspension pieces. so it looks like the R kit is looking positive my buyers remorse is gone and am excited to finish her up tonight and when i get my deans connectors take her for a spin. for the price of $137 i really cannot complain its looking like its going to be a very quick basher that i would not be too embarrassed to take to a track (if anyone opens up a track in Miami).
Old 03-09-2012, 09:37 AM
The_Shark

very cool, one nice thing about chassis flex and platic is its tough. nothing a carbon upper or lower deck wont fix.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:45 PM
nickdude

So Here is my Build:

engine is in

suspension on

DONE!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-10-2012, 04:46 PM
nickdude

all i need now is to wait for my deans connectors to come in
Old 03-10-2012, 05:18 PM
The Mad Modder

Looks good. Lots of shiny blue aluminum.

What did you use for wheels? They don't look like whats supplied with the kit.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:23 PM
nickdude

Those are some wheels I bought a while back on eBay they look nice but I need wheels with a 9mm offset to run on my 200mm body
Old 03-22-2012, 06:18 AM
nickdude

ok so i have run a couple of packs through the car and all i have to say is wow this car is awesome. im running it with foam tires from a nitro car i had laying around, and it handles pretty good. i can see y people use this car for drifting its super easy to break the rear end loose and drift it around. i can also see that this car is no track star it kinda like a nice medium which is what i wanted. i had read that this chassis rides high (which is good fro bashing around my neighborhood) but i did not notice any handling defects.

i have not driven too many electric cars but this one feels light and easy to maneuver. having the ball bearings is a really nice option and the car rolls effortlessly. the 9t hobby wing motor and esc are great. with the program card it was a simple tune process (although i cannot get it to go forward/rev/brake i only can get it to for/rev). overall i am happy with the car it was super fun and easy to build the motor and esc work great along with the battery and the car drives much better than i had initially anticipated.

only problem is my charger broke i thought it was the power supply bought a new one, but the fan wont turn on and when i try and charge the battery it just shuts off.

any one know of a good one for under $60
[link=http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html]Thunder AC6[/link]
Old 03-22-2012, 08:48 AM
dragnse7en
Banned

I read the specs on that, and I was looking to see if the thing has an internal cooling fan, but I didn't see anything about that.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:34 AM
The Mad Modder

Glad to hear it's working out well for you.

As far as chargers go, I only have experience with MRC's super brain line, which I've yet to have problems with. The 992 will handle 1-10 cell nicad and nimh and 1-4 cell for lithium batteries. Would that cover your needs?
https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...c=ns&pn=MRC992

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.