Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tamiya M-05 Pro: Fastest & most reliable brushless w/ reverse motor?

I know nothing of RC cars (I bought my first kit a week ago). I would like to know whats the fastest and reliable FWD brushless motor. My roommate said "castle" makes the best, he mentioned some other one but Iforgot the name. He also said buying a motor kit is probably best because it comes with an ESC by the same manufactorer. All of this is over my head and still have no clue what all the things they mention on the engine descriptions mean like 1/18 and 1/10 and ####kV. Obviously I dont want to buy something that doesnt fit in the gear hole or is so long the body doesnt cover it or end up buying a boat/plane motor (Maybe they fit?)

So far I only have the body and the chassis. Not sure if it matters but Iused the "M-S" thing when Ibuilt it as the body is a small car (says 1/12)

I will mention this because when Ilooked up light kits they have a box that looks like the ESC and dont know if they have to be compatible. For my end result Iwant:

1. A very fast brushless motor that is reliable
    2. Have the motor fits correctly
    3. It to support lights (brake, turn signal, headlights, reverse)
    4. A remote control that can turn on those lights.

Please advise as Ihave no clue.

Thank you in advance!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Tamiya M-05 Pro: Fastest & most reliable brushless w/ reverse motor?

ORIGINAL: LoveDeezNutz

I know nothing of RC cars (I bought my first kit a week ago).Ā* I would like to know whats the fastest and reliable FWD brushless motor.Ā* My roommate said ''castle'' makes the best, he mentioned some other one but IĀ*forgot the name.Ā* He also said buying a motor kit is probably best because it comes with an ESC by the same manufactorer.Ā* All of this is over my head and still have no clue what all the things they mention on the engine descriptions mean like 1/18 and 1/10 and ####kV.Ā* Obviously I dont want to buy something that doesnt fit in the gear hole or is so long the body doesnt cover it or end up buying a boat/plane motor (Maybe they fit?)

So far I only have the body and the chassis.Ā* Not sure if it matters but IĀ*used the ''M-S'' thing when IĀ*built it as the body is a small car (says 1/12)

I will mention this because when IĀ*looked up light kits they have a box that looks like the ESC and dont know if they have to be compatible.Ā* For my end result IĀ*want:

1.Ā* A very fast brushless motor that is reliable
    2.Ā* Have the motor fits correctly
    3. It to support lights (brake, turn signal, headlights, reverse)
    4.Ā* A remote control that can turn on those lights.

Please advise as IĀ*have no clue.

Thank you in advance!
    A. 1/18 and 1/10 refer to the scale of the RC model compared to a full size vehicle that you could ride in/drive.
    B.KV is a rpm rating of the motor. Basically, a 8,000 kv motor will turn 8,000 rpm for every 1 volt of electricity you give it.

1.While I would consider Castle Creations the end all best manufacturer out there, they do make good systems for reasonable prices. Other good manufacturers are Tekin, Novak, and LRP. I would recommend that you stay below about 6,000kv or above 10t(another rating for speed). It may be fun to have a super fast car, but too high speed will lead to a harder to control car that breaks more often(from higher speed accidents).
    2.The Tamiya m05 is actually a 1/10 scale car even though it's about 1/12 in size. That's because it's meant to fit small cars(such as a mini cooper) in 1/10 scale. It uses standard 540 size motors commonly used for 1/10 scale cars.
    3.To get working lights, you need a lighting system like the one below. It is a separate unit that connects to the radio system.
    http://store.rc4wd.com/The-Scale-Lig...tem_p_703.html
    4.The above system is made to work with a 3 channel pistol grip radio.

Hopes this helps,
    Nate.
    God bless America

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder
    A. 1/18 and 1/10 refer to the scale of the RC model compared to a full size vehicle that you could ride in/drive.
    B.KV is a rpm rating of the motor. Basically, a 8,000 kv motor will turn 8,000 rpm for every 1 volt of electricity you give it.

1.While I would consider Castle Creations the end all best manufacturer out there, they do make good systems for reasonable prices. Other good manufacturers are Tekin, Novak, and LRP. I would recommend that you stay below about 6,000kv or above 10t(another rating for speed). It may be fun to have a super fast car, but too high speed will lead to a harder to control car that breaks more often(from higher speed accidents).
    2.The Tamiya m05 is actually a 1/10 scale car even though it's about 1/12 in size. That's because it's meant to fit small cars(such as a mini cooper) in 1/10 scale. It uses standard 540 size motors commonly used for 1/10 scale cars.
    3.To get working lights, you need a lighting system like the one below. It is a separate unit that connects to the radio system.
    http://store.rc4wd.com/The-Scale-Lig...tem_p_703.html
    4.The above system is made to work with a 3 channel pistol grip radio.

Hopes this helps,
    Nate.

[/quote]

That was very helpful as I have not seen the "10t" wording. I do have a follow up question for 2. My roommate said any motor would work, but you said on a 1/10 uses a standard 540. Does this mean I should only be looking for motors that say 540?

Thank you again

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: LoveDeezNutz

That was very helpful as I have not seen the ''10t'' wording.Ā* I do have a follow up question for 2.Ā* My roommate said any motor would work, but you said on a 1/10 uses a standard 540.Ā* Does this mean I should only be looking for motors that say 540?

Thank you again

10t stands for 10 turns. Brushed motors are rated by the number of wraps(called turns) of wire used in the armature. For brushless motors it means that the rpm is similar to a brushed motor of that number of turns.

No, not literally any motor will work, but the most common motor systems are for 1/10 scale vehicles using 540 size motors.

If it says that it's for 1/10 vehicles or uses a 540 size motor, it will fit your m05. Some manufactures will just say that it's for 1/10 cars and not mention that the motor is a 540, even though it is. Just keep a look out for either terms.
    God bless America

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hobbywing or turnigy, s' all you need for the esc. i know turnigy makes a good OUTrunner i figure they make a good inrunner car motor.

no need to buy top brand stuff, its all made in china of pretty much the same components.

coming from a guy that has yet to kill a brushless esc or motor from hobbywing or turnigy, programmible, Smooth power and tough, plenty of crashing, dirt, dust and water, still going strong.

the key to a tough brushless system is proper setup, go mild keep the temps down and youll be fine for a long time.

not a noobie here, doing this for 17 years.
    Signature
    (Max. 125 chars. 2 lines max)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

LoveDeezNutz,

So, you've got yourself an M05. I LOVE'em!

A few things, however......

The Tamiya M05 is not really meant for anything fast. The little chassis will have understeer, and the faster it goes, the worse the understeer. I run strictly brushed in mine (as opposed to brushless in my 1/10th scale Touring Car and Drift chassis), and I limit the fastest to 15T motors and the ones I race are limited to 27T (which is the motor limit for "stock-spec" racing). There is only one I have anything fast in, and that's what is called a "Velo Mini", and that has a 12T in it, but like I mentioned earlier, it doesn't turn well, but it isn't meant to.

The "S", "M" and "L" designations are for "Short,""Medium" and "Long", and refer to chassis length. As you might guess, "S" size chassis will turn sharper, but this doesn't mean that you can add a lot of power. More power will just make it handle worse. Iseparate my mini chassis thus:

"S" chassis for tight course racing.
    "M" chassis for more open courses and bashing.
    "L" chassis for Velo.

If you would like to learn more about your M05, and what it is, and is not capable of, go to http://www.rc-mini.net

There's lots of info about all kinds of minis there (right now, I've done the XEVOChariot, and I'm into the ABCHobbies Gambado/Grid), and you'll learn plenty about how to mod your M05, and how much fun minis are!
    monkey 100 escaped