Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

got a couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 02:09 PM
d_gillespie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got a couple questions

hello i am derrick and while i am new to this forum, i am not new to rc in general. my question has to do with my electric 4tec and a motor i have for it. i am trying to widen it to 200mm and trying to put as many nitro 4tec parts on it for the sake of it will be easier to purchase parts. also do any of yall know of a non traxxas car that has parts that fit the 4tec? i dont know if it rumor or what but i heard some guys as my lhs talking about it and i didnt want to get the parts, unwrap them, and not be able to take them back.

i want to really replace the diffs front and back with the nitro ones the most because they hold up the best. next i really want to know about this motor i have in the attached pics. i need to know if any yall have used it and if it is rebuildable. it was a good motor while it lasted. if you guys can help me with these things it would be great to point me to a walkthrough and the partnumbers or urls to buy them.

please refrain from saying things like "sell it and buy ______" or things like that cause it doesnt help anyone. i am a seasoned drifter but i am new to rebuilding motors.

hope yall can help
derrick

here is a link for the pics cause the pics where to large for the upload.
http://www.hobzob.com/album/view/p/r...a/3314/i/motor
Old 02-14-2012, 04:56 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

Default RE: got a couple questions

A Tamiya car  inside  your circle would certainly  help you out.

ON ROAD - A cheap TA05 or DF-01 series car would be a sweet start. The belt driven 4WD cars need extra care on thr belt pulleys instead
The best of the best has already been released.

Look aroung and shop out////////1

Otherwise, get a Tamiya TA02 off eBay and mod it out.

The same thing goes for a Team Associated TC5FT.

Shims, shims, and more shims to offset that crappy slop.

Your best bet would be a NOS TA05-R,
Old 02-14-2012, 09:14 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

honestly your better off replacing the motor, high quality brushed motors are INSANELY cheap today, i remember before brushless was big you could easily plop down $100, that same motor today is now $30 new. check the brushes, if you can clearly see that they are down to nubs, you need new ones, also, check the commutator (the brass ring with segments) and see if it looks like a eaten apple- if it is, it will need to be lathed or replaced. check the magnets to see if they detached.

if your drifting you wont need a high stress diff, the electric diff will do the job, chances are the diff parts will not match up. even if your not drifting a brushed motor is almost no threat to a onroad driveline.

what is this car intended for?
Old 02-15-2012, 02:26 PM
d_gillespie

i use the 4tec for drifting period. i really wanna stay brushed because i dont do compitations or anything, just an elementary school parking lot. i wish i could drift competively but i live in a small town and i am the only dude around with hobby grade rcs. all the neiborhood kids come out to watch when i run my cars and trucks so hopefully here in the next few years their parents will help em out and buy them some so i can whoop up on them. the thing that sucks about my town is that is infested with pillheads. i am 27 years old and i am a father figure to all these kids cause most of their dads either ran off or have died from pills. once i get this car done i am gonna donate it to the kid that lives right next door and buy another from ebay.

thanks and sorry for the life story,
derrick
Old 02-15-2012, 04:14 PM
The_Shark

no problems bud, that kid will charish it im sure.

so yeah, stock diffs, new motor and its good to go.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:59 PM
d_gillespie

any suggestions on the motor? Explorer 2 manual says "use stock or mild" motor. im not sure what that means exactly. it also says the motor should come with a Schottky diode on it or install one for cooler operating temps. btw shark thanks for making the new guy feel welcome.

derrick

ps i found it funny to see how many views this thread has had. i think my comment about people saying "sell it and buy ______" kept some people away from here.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:44 PM
The_Shark

from 27turn to 15turn is where you want to be, stock on traxxas is usually 20turn

the lower the turns on the armature, the higher the draw and faster the motor, for drift i would stay close to 27turn maybe 20.