Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tamiya TT01E help needed

Hello there,

I have a problem and need some help/advice.
    I have a TT01E chassis that I had been using for about a month as a standard car, a few weeks ago, i decided to fit my steel stock car chassis* to the bath tub. as soon as I put the car on the ground, it chewed the 61tooth spur gear out rather quickly and lost drive from the engine to the shafts. now i have played around with a new 60tooth gear and adjusted the timing of the motor, but the motor keeps slipping off the spur gear and it does not get drive to the wheels.

So i was wondering if any one knows if there is a metal 61tooth gear or another type that will work in there. I will eventually fit a RZ/TZ motor so what would suit these so it wont slip.

The car is only 2 months old. what hop - up parts are around. You can't get much in New Zealand.

Thanks for your help.

* this is a steel frame that is bolted to the tub with steel side rails and bumpers and is used in racing to crash into your opponents. Very common here in NZ for those that don't know.

Don\'\'t ask questions you know nothing about.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Tamiya TT01E help needed

What upgrades are on it currently?

To me, I think any flexing between the pinion and spur is caused by the motor mount flexing. An upgrade metal mount should reduce or eliminate the problem.

Not related to your problem, but still a good upgrades:
    Most Important
    a. full ball bearings(I'm not sure if the tt01 comes with them or not)
    b. oil shocks(help performance by soaking up bumps much better than the friction shocks). Some models of the tt01 come with them, some don't.
    c. aluminum center drive shaft(helps transmit power to front wheels by eliminating flexing with more powerful motors).
    d.Turn buckles(allows you to adjust your front camber)
    e. front and rear stabilizer sets(help reduce body roll while cornering)
    f.clamp type wheel hubs(hubs stay on the axles when you change out tires)
    Least Important

Ebay is where I buy most of my rc parts because my local hobby shop only stocks traxxas and some losi parts.
    God bless America

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Please - show us pics of the steel frame!

Is it an aftermarket item, or something someone in NZ is building custom for the locals there?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the advice.

The stock car chassis are home made but some guys do sell them for around $400NZD. The body and bonnets are polycarbonate and can be bought thru a few hobbie stores in NZ.

The Track is oval on concrete with a steel wall. Alot of the racing has fizzled out here, so it is just a hobbie now. Great fun tho.

Pics.
    If you want more info, just sing out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Us52869.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	1730150   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ge96169.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	1730151   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zx70549.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	1730152  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

holy smokes does that sucker look heavy. that cage looks like it weighs more than the TT01 itself
    I think the weight just caused extra wear on the spur.
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

holy smokes does that sucker look heavy. that cage looks like it weighs more than the TT01 itself
    I think it's definitely a contributing factor. I've also heard that the stock aluminum pinion isn't very good. Add in a plastic motor mount and you've got a perfect recipe for stripped gears.
    God bless America

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder

I think it's definitely a contributing factor. I've also heard that the stock aluminum pinion isn't very good. Add in a plastic motor mount and you've got a perfect recipe for stripped gears.
    yea the stock is a POS from what I read, and looked weak as hell I went straight to a steel one without even putting it on (Have had bad experiences with alum pinions grinding up on other light RC's)
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's an awesome ride! I see the "mad max" styling hasn't died out in that region (yes, I know, but NZ is a lot closer to AU)

Now, please refresh my memory - do those spur gears have beveled teeth on one side, or is it a plain jane spur?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I completely agree with you there. Similar to the TT-01, My TA02 has round motor mount, and uses certain holes to mesh up with the spur gear correctly. In my case, the TA02's motor mount posts are notorious for breaking - just as bad or worse than a bendy motor mount. I got an alloy motor mount, but I am still stuck w/ tamiya gears because the TA02's spur has a set of beveled teeth on one side to drive the prop. I simply gave up on the "AV pinion" series, and wherever I can, I replace them with RR spurs and pinions.

So, with that said, +1 on getting an alloy motor mount, just as a minimum. Then, if possible, change out the spur and pinion sets (unless you're stuck like me). But I would truely believe that the alloy motor mount alone would stop the tranny from chewing up gears

I have TT-01 bevel gears and planetary gears in the front and rear diffs on my TA02. Is the motor mount interchangeable too? (My alloy mount is totally round, but has the same hole pattern.)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qn38456.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	53.6 KB 
ID:	1730382   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vt56926.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	165.6 KB 
ID:	1730383  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Okay - I answered my own question. It's not interchageable.

The cheapest and closest to NZ is from Hong Kong, on eBay, from rc_mall.

Here's a link for you!

www.ebay.com/itm/GPM-ALUMINUM-Motor-Mount-TT018-BLUE-fits-TAMIYA-TT-01-Drift-/200713947589

It's a GPM part, and I've had great luck with them (aside from my AETC5FT which I just sold). GPM has been a sweet fit for all my Tamiya cars

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks. It weights 4kg ready to go including battery. I used to run it a few years back with the standard tt01 and never had a problem. since i didn't own the donar car I gave it back when my mate moved away. now 3 years or so later I decided to get a new donar car being the tt01e and after 5 minutes or so, problem occurred.

As I am not racing anymore, I am not governed by rules so I want to fit new fast motor and gear it up for acceleration. I see dragnse7en there is a picture of the different holes for the pinions for the motor. I only have the stock motor so 3 positions, but what ration and motor did that come from.

Cheers.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: snap-on179

Thanks. It weights 4kg ready to go including battery. I used to run it a few years back with the standard tt01 and never had a problem. since i didn't own the donar car I gave it back when my mate moved away. now 3 years or so later I decided to get a new donar car being the tt01e and after 5 minutes or so, problem occurred.

As I am not racing anymore, I am not governed by rules so I want to fit new fast motor and gear it up for acceleration. I see dragnse7en there is a picture of the different holes for the pinions for the motor. I only have the stock motor so 3 positions, but what ration and motor did that come from.

Cheers.

Glad to help! The pics are of the optional TA02 series motor mount (left) and the motor and mount assy instructions from my manual (right). The only gear ratio chart I found for it is an instruction leaflet that came with my speed tuned gear set. There's 13 different ratios, from 11.27:1 up to 6.44:1.