Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My tc3 project :)

Hey guys Figured I would start a single thread instead of posting something new each week, anyways I'm starting my project speed again finally.... .... I will be using a mix of electric, and nitro tc3 cars as my foundation. before anyone chimes in about how much it will cost..... Really money doesn't matter for this, I love the hobby and my son wants to help so that all that matters.

So here we go...

couple pics of the first wave of parts I got in the mail...

I picked up this Tc3 off eBay pretty cheap, Im not sure how much of it I will use, but I got it was a good deal

my starter gearing 34t pinion, 34t Spur Mod1

I also picked up a Custom NEU motor here is a pic of it next to a VXL motor that I smoked today

I also will be using a Castle HV series ESC and 12s lipo.... More pics and progress to come soon...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ay74475.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	71.6 KB 
ID:	1735902   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pk30082.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	1735903   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ze84939.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	1735904   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ey70068.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	1735905  
    Founder
    www.iBand.me

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: My tc3 project :)

For any experts out there, Im looking for someone to make me some custom gearing, or someone that already sells them or some kinda of hub adapter for my motor to use a spur gear as pinion? Anyone have any ideas? Also taking advice on tires....
    Founder
    www.iBand.me

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Let me get this straight. You burnt up a traxxas velinion motor so your next thought was to install a Neu motor on 12s with an HV heli ESC on a 1/10 touring car? And you don't even know where to source gears or know what kind of tires will hold up to 100mph+?

Talk about running before you can walk...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

200mph is virtually impossible to reach, 100mph is hard to do, i cant think of that size tire that wont explode at those speeds, even belted.

belted tires are your best bet, also the voltage you are talking about is way too crazy, you will melt everything and blow up your new motor, judging by the size of the motor its lower KV, unless you go CRAZY with the gearing (it would have to be over-driven) its not going to be as fast as you want it.

i say go for speed, but dont try to reach for anything past 100mph, most anything will flip close to those speeds, go 3s, high gearing and maybe a cheap 120A CAR esc (99% of heli esc dont have brakes or reverse or enough load capacity)
    Signature
    (Max. 125 chars. 2 lines max)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

200 is impossible with that set up, especially with the rubber tires. You need hard foams. You may get close to 100, but not much more.
    Her name was Lola. She was a show girl.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Maybe some of you are confused... I did not burn up the vxl in the tc3 I have not even drove the tc3 it is for a parts car, my actual car is based off a nitro tc3, and I made it pretty clear no ill never hit 200... but its fun to say im going to try I asked opinions on tires, and gears, I do have some in mind, just like to get more opinions on everything, and sounds like mostly critics here post your guy's speed projects so I can see how fast you have gone.
    Founder
    www.iBand.me

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

and If I get 100mph thats great! again the 200mph is more of a gimic to draw people in haha, and again its fun to set goals high and settle with something pretty fast so guys dont take this the wrong way. its all in good fun....
    Founder
    www.iBand.me

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Lots to go...

Name:	Sq46789.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	141.5 KB 
ID:	1736846  
    Founder
    www.iBand.me

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would like to second using a CAR ESC. Higher KV motor. etc etc. Good thing you don't care about price because I am pretty sure you are throwing good money into something that will not be what you thought it'd be. Just my $.02
    Tekno Losi 8ight II Slash 4X4 II HPI Blitz II Associated B4.1 II Losi Mini-T II Custom frame AX10 II Axial G6

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How so? Nic case used the same setup in a car? the hv110 can be flashed to use a brake ect? tell me im wrong? what do u guys use for speed i've yet to see once person show their setup..

I have no problem switching my setup if someone can tell me a good one to use... I just didnt wanna slap a 7700 mamba and 4s lipo like Everyone else uses to get over 100
    Founder
    www.iBand.me

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Founder
    www.iBand.me

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i use a 600watt helicopter outrunner motor at 4400kv, i have a HPI Formula Ten, so far ive hit maybe 85mph, its no easy task as its a very light, very overpowered car with minimal suspension, i am waiting for a gyro to come in so i can tame some of the straight line tracking.

theoretically, if i can get this car just so, gear it up use 3S. lower it to the ground, install a high down-force spoiler and have PERFECT pavement, i could reach over 160 mph, but i doubt i could go over 100 without it flying

i also put this motor in a rc18t, calculated 110mph, but it would flip or melt gears beyond 3/4 throttle.

uploaded is the little fireball and my rigged motor adapter.

im not looking for top speed, but rather handling, and this thing STICKS (so hard it actually can flip by turning all the way)

Name:	Sq47826.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	1736941  
    Signature

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Those super-low KV motors are better suited to applications requiring more torque, like 4X4 SCT's, 1/8 buggies, etc. Higher KV motors would be where you want to be for on-road applications. Also, a car esc is just easier to deal with, and perfectly suited to the application since that is what they are built for and either way the price would be similar, so what is the point in making more work for yourself? Even the guys setup in the link you just posted is very similar to what we are all saying. Why? Because it works!
    Tekno Losi 8ight II Slash 4X4 II HPI Blitz II Associated B4.1 II Losi Mini-T II Custom frame AX10 II Axial G6

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I really like what you are doing with your project! I am getting ready to start a similar one when my current projects are finished. I have a NTC3 chassis that I will run with a Mamba Monster 2650 system on 6s. I too need to figure out how to do the gearing but it looks like what you are using there should work pretty well. Is that Revo spur and an XO-1 pinion? does that spur bolt right to the hub? or did you need to drill it out to get it to fit? The only problem I see with running that kind of gearing is that you have to remove a brace to clear the gears.

For tires I will be running foams. I have had a set of foam tires spinning at over 160MPH and they hold up very well. I don't know how they are going to hold up at 200mph but if you are like me if you even approach 150 you will be happy and i think foams will hold together without an issue at that speed.

ORIGINAL: FahrtAutoRC

Those super-low KV motors are better suited to applications requiring more torque, like 4X4 SCT's, 1/8 buggies, etc. Higher KV motors would be where you want to be for on-road applications. Also, a car esc is just easier to deal with, and perfectly suited to the application since that is what they are built for and either way the price would be similar, so what is the point in making more work for yourself? Even the guys setup in the link you just posted is very similar to what we are all saying. Why? Because it works!
    I have to dissagree with this in part. Higher KV onroad motors are designed for speed but not 150-200mph speed. in order pull the gearing to reach those speeds with that motor you will need to run far too many volts throught it than it can handle (I mean its only rated at 2s!)and you will very effectively burn it up!Yes on paper it has enough rpm but it doesn't have anywhere near enough torque. I like what the direction OP is going here using a lower KV motor with higher voltage. this will allow him to gear way up with out burning up the motor. I am not exactly sure which motor that is but it looks like a neu 15 series something. I dought it is rated for 12s either so he may still be trying to runn too many volts through it. but generally speaking I think running a lower KV motor on more volts is better for real speed runs than a higher kv motor that wil very easily burn up with that kind of load. For the extreem speed runn he is talking about you need a lower kv motor with loads of torque to be able to pull the tall gearing nessasary to reach those speeds.

To the OP: Good luck with you project. I will be watching it. personally I love it when people tell me something can't be done, it just makes me want to prove them wrong!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My biggest concern on all that is weight. Bigger motor and big batteries sound great but bigger means heavier.
    Either way, if speed is your thing, good luck to ya. I am a racer so, to me, speed is useless without control.

Go fast, turn left, repeat as needed!!!
    My spelling sucks, get over it!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: yakfish

ORIGINAL: FahrtAutoRC

I have to dissagree with this in part. Higher KV onroad motors are designed for speed but not 150-200mph speed. in order pull the gearing to reach those speeds with that motor you will need to run far too many volts throught it than it can handle (I mean its only rated at 2s!)and you will very effectively burn it up!Yes on paper it has enough rpm but it doesn't have anywhere near enough torque. I like what the direction OP is going here using a lower KV motor with higher voltage. this will allow him to gear way up with out burning up the motor. I am not exactly sure which motor that is but it looks like a neu 15 series something. I dought it is rated for 12s either so he may still be trying to runn too many volts through it. but generally speaking I think running a lower KV motor on more volts is better for real speed runs than a higher kv motor that wil very easily burn up with that kind of load. For the extreem speed runn he is talking about you need a lower kv motor with loads of torque to be able to pull the tall gearing nessasary to reach those speeds.

To the OP: Good luck with you project. I will be watching it. personally I love it when people tell me something can't be done, it just makes me want to prove them wrong!
    Well then I stand corrected, and that makes sense. I am still learning the ins and outs of on road and on road equipment as I only started dabbling recently!

OvalRacer: Maybe the weight might help, if he moves enough torque and power thru it then weight may become more and more of a moot point, while still applying enough extra downward force to help plant the car at high speeds?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

low KV high voltage and tall gearing, thats how you do it.

also if you want speed you actually want weight, weight keeps you on the ground, lack of it makes things unstable at high speed, but it also helps onroads handle better, but not always depending on the suspension and weight balance.
    Signature

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So my thinking wasn't so bad then? as to what a couple were first saying... My whole idea behind it was low kv, high voltage, so I had the power to push the taller gearing/weight without spinning something 150k cool?.... more pics coming soon. I looking for a good universal brushless mount now, and still deciding what tires to try first, my off the shelf foams probly wont do much over 100+

Also working on a fiberglass body yeah I know bad idea once crash and its done, but probly is the rest of the car anyways. I got a corvette daytona prototype, going to fill it with plaster to make a nice mold then build a fiberglass shell of it, should be very strong and no flex ect....
    Founder
    www.iBand.me

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: azrhcp84

So my thinking wasn't so bad then? as to what a couple were first saying... My whole idea behind it was low kv, high voltage, so I had the power to push the taller gearing/weight without spinning something 150k cool?.... more pics coming soon. I looking for a good universal brushless mount now, and still deciding what tires to try first, my off the shelf foams probly wont do much over 100+

Also working on a fiberglass body yeah I know bad idea once crash and its done, but probly is the rest of the car anyways. I got a corvette daytona prototype, going to fill it with plaster to make a nice mold then build a fiberglass shell of it, should be very strong and no flex ect....
    yeah you got the right idea. what kv are you running and what model is your motor? there are lots of badies that will fit your car without you have to make one yourself. you just need one with lots of downforce.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have the NEU 1521 1577kv motor, anyone know of a foam tire 2.75-3.0" diameter that will bolt to 12mm hex's?
    Founder
    www.iBand.me

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I don't know of any that are quite that big. Most of them are about 63mm which is about 2.50 inches

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just put your numbers into a speed calculator. As long as you controler and motor can handle 12s you number are just about where you want to be.

1577kv on 12s will give you 79480 rpm
    the NTC3 has a diff ratio of 2.6:1
    with a 34t spur and a 34t pinion your ratio is 1:1
    and using the available 63mm tires

gives you a theoretical top speed of 225.5 MPH
    and a rollout of 76mm

Your bigest issue will be keeping the car staight and stable. but with the right body and suspesion setup I think it will be possible to reach 170 or maybe a little more under the perfect conditions. where do you plan to run it?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

well I have a friend that can let me in the 1/4 mile drag strip about an hour away, ive also been thinking about talking to the local airport here that gets ZERO activity, also wanting to maybe try a FPV setup So I can get the max distance possible without losing sight?

I was sure a tc3 had a diff ratio of 2.5? can you confirm its 2.6?
    Founder
    www.iBand.me

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My bad. Your right it is 2.5:1

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

really Ive been thinking the speed calculators are probly worthless, ive heard of guys gearing their car for nearly double the speed they are actually trying to reach, which mean I need to get a huge pinion made, or find a hub adapter and bolt on a spur gear on my motor... I will be happy with 150 mph, anything higher will just be bad ass!! Going to try my older Fm radio first over my 2.4 ghz to hopefully get some good range 1/8 mile + each way would be ideal.. I realize im new to this and alot of people say it wont happen... well theres only one way to find out..
    Founder
    www.iBand.me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast