Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

HPI F10 Help Going Brushless

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 02:13 PM
kaianuanu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HPI F10 Help Going Brushless

Hi guys, i've been out of the hobby for almost a year, but last year i bought an HPI Formula ten kit. I built it up and recently dug it back out. I have it running w/ left over electronics. I have an a cen reciever, an old Novak Rooster ESC, a venom 7.2v 3000mah pack, and a crappy 15 year old motor a guy gave me with the novak ESC on a carpet oval. I must say though, that novak ESC is very nice still, it performs much better than even new stock ESC's that ive owned. With the revival of my interest in the hobby, came my friend's, he's running a Traxxas 4x4 Stampede VXL brushless monster truck on some type of 8.4v hump pack. The thing has lots of power but it cant turn for crap W/O flipping and rolling. And naturally, i need my car to be faster than his. Overall i am very impressed with my F10's handling at high speeds, however it does sometimes spin out when accelerating, but this may be because, i have the rear axle and wheels of the same old carpet oval because i bent my rear axle in a bad crash and haven't replaced it yet, these wheels have crappy old dry rotted tires that have horrible traction. So, to up my game, I am going brushless. I plan to get a 5000ma battery to match with it. I would go lipo but i don't think i can afford it. I drive on smooth roads and i like to do speed runs, not so much like "agility" driving although i know this is what F1 cars do. So really, im just looking for good top speeds and to out perform my friends stampede on tarmac. So, i was looking for guidance in what brushless ESC/Motor combo to get for my F10.

PS: I need to keep the price of an ESC and Motor around $150

Old 03-13-2012, 02:22 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: HPI F10 Help Going Brushless

right now 5000mah 2S lipos cost quite a bit less than a decent 5000mah NiMh's. Last I looked a decent 5000mah NiMh cost around $50 where a turnigy 2S 5000 is $20ish from hobbyking.com
Chargers for lipos are $50ish for a decent one with AC built in http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html (never heard any negatives from the owners)

As for making it fast sure the shark will chime in on that his F10 cause his is ludicrously fast

Also might want to pick up a cheap 2.4ghz radio seeing AM can have issues with BL setups
Old 03-13-2012, 03:04 PM
kaianuanu

After doing a bit more reading on the F10's, im reconsidering going brushless, maybe a 15, 17 or 19 turn venom fireball from my local hobby shop might be just what i need
Old 03-13-2012, 08:10 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: kaianuanu

After doing a bit more reading on the F10's, im reconsidering going brushless, maybe a 15, 17 or 19 turn venom fireball from my local hobby shop might be just what i need
lucky you! i acquired one a few months ago what i have done is used a OUTrunner brushless helicopter motor and rigged it to my F10. the motor is like $13, the esc was like $27 at the time.

this is what you need to set up to use a outrunner motor, buy a 450/500 sized motor rated at 3000kv and above with a 3.17 shaft diameter, buy a 450/500 airplane X-mount, depending on the shaft you may need to file down a flat spot for the pinion.
here is the [link=http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__11177__Turnigy_450_500_H2223_Brushless_outrunner _4400KV.html]motor[/link]
unfortunately almost all ESC are back-ordered-EVERYWHERE, however a turnigy track star 60A is what i use and fits like a glove, however you can use anything 45A and above, 60A is overkill as it never gets even warm.

P.S this setup will get you beyond 60mph with stock gearing, you may want to try a 3000kv motor first. also note this is a small motor, but the punch is so hard you could rip the tires apart if you slam the gas, also, because its smaller, you will need to soften the rear pod as there will be less weight- handling is great with this setup!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84076.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	1738517  
Old 03-14-2012, 12:42 PM
kaianuanu

I am in the process of machining a new axle out of an aluminum rod but i straightened out the original steel one to where there is no noticeable wobble in the right wheel anymore, i tried it with some hpi touring car wheels and the smaller factory spur gear, and when the battery was juiced up, it kept spinning out when accelerating and high speed cornering, I found this odd since these rear wheels have much more grip than the ones i had before, I'm going to try the original F1 rear wheels that came in the kit for the next charge. The car ran quite a bit faster but the spin outs were discouraging. Do i maybe need to tighten or loosen my diff?
Old 03-14-2012, 08:14 PM
azrhcp84

I think you should try a mamba max 7700 kit, you should be able to get one used pretty cheap, then get a 3s lipo! would be fast! good luck
Old 03-14-2012, 08:24 PM
azrhcp84

these 1:1 drive cars make me want to start up a 2nd top speed project lol good luck I will be watching!
Old 03-14-2012, 09:02 PM
The_Shark

one thing ive noticed on this car

chassis- super strong
rear pod- super strong
front suspension- super strong
knuckles- super strong
bumper- super strong
RIMS- CRACK if you LOOK at them funny.

i just blew out a rear rim today, i had to re-glue a dozen times because of inner ring cracking, this is the 4th set of rims! boiling doesnt work!

try a set of shimizu super soft ribbed rear tires, they are belted, dont balloon and are tacky like glue, pair them with hard or medium fronts for best stability
Old 03-15-2012, 07:55 AM
azrhcp84

you guys have any videos of these cars running?
Old 03-16-2012, 07:17 AM
The_Shark

i was recording the last time but 30 seconds later i goose the throttle too much with worn out tires and smack the curb with the right rear wheel, and im too broke right now to buy new tires and rims.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:07 AM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: azrhcp84

I think you should try a mamba max 7700 kit, you should be able to get one used pretty cheap, then get a 3s lipo! would be fast! good luck
The 7700kv motor is only rated for 2s. If you run it for very long on 3s it will burn up. 5700kv the highest kv motor that is rated at 3s from castle. I would say though that the 7700kv motor on just 2s will be very fast.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:37 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wow these things are stupidly fast with some brushed setups... brushless might just be to powerfull & u might not be able to hit full throttle with out brsking traction.... unless its pulling 100km/h...then u could nail it... been only 2wd with very limited suspension u might have problems finding someware to pull some serious speed
Old 03-16-2012, 08:20 PM
The_Shark

at 50 i can break the tires loose, surprisingly the suspension isn't really that bad, its the dust and large pebbles that goof you up.

i just got a gyro to help track the front end but its DOA[&o] 3 weeks of waiting for nothing.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:35 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are u sure it's dead... If the steering trim is off it won't initialize and some times a esc fan can vibrate to much to initialize
Old 03-18-2012, 01:33 PM
warnos16v

ok well if you want to race the car and have it handle and not just got for stupidly high top speeds.. I would get a 13t Hobbywing combo like.. they use this combo in classes such as mini and F1.. its a cheap combo with good power.. very reliable..

Here is a link to it.. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HOBBYWING...item41633e4835

Speed wise it will go like a 17.5 brushless setup.. if geared correctly.. and its right on the limit of what a f1 can use when going around a track.. as there is only so much power a 2wd F1 can put down...

Cheers
Old 03-18-2012, 02:54 PM
The_Shark

yeah they dont need much power at all, they are so very light especially with lipo and under-sized motors. i think mine weighs 1.7lbs ready to run!