Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

SPrint 2 flux belt keeps tearing

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 09:02 PM
HomieOC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPrint 2 flux belt keeps tearing

so i bought a sprint 2 flux. The differential blew in front and back wheels. SO i gave it to hpi took them freaking 2 weeks to fix. They are 15 mins from my house... SO while waiting i bought another sprint 2 flux..

Right out of the box the wheel was wobbly and when i went to run it the speed control was acting weird it was making grinding noise and it burnt my battery wire. Igave it to hpi its gonna take 4 weeks because they don't have any speed controls... THISISRidiculous

SO yesterday i went to drive my other fixed sprint 2 flux and the back rear belt ripped. SO i replaced it. Same thing happened today so i went through 3 rear belts today. they break within 5 mins of driving the car. WHYWHY?THEROADISCLEAN

when i go to hpi tomorrow what should i say?SHOULDN'T they just swap me with another sprint 2 flux???I'm sick of having to buy a faulty product and wait weeks to fix it and suffer because they can't make a stable product.??

IMat my boiling point
Old 06-05-2012, 10:14 PM
Car-Tune

Default RE: SPrint 2 flux belt keeps tearing

I'm sort to hear that. But I've never had that problem with mine. I wonder what the problem is?
Old 06-05-2012, 10:55 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You may have to take it back to them and try to work it out with them. There are a number of things that can cause the belt to shred. It's not a common problem with this car, so ask them to look at possibly how they reassembled it, maybe something is binding, or out of alignment.

You know you could have it fixed in a day if you disassembled and reassembled it yourself, you'd probably find the problem along the way too.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:02 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be that the rear diff isn't moving freely.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:49 PM
HomieOC

The guy was chill looked at it everything is ok. He saids it's rocks. It's stupid. There's no such thing as no rocks on the ground. Wats the point of having this car ***
Old 06-06-2012, 01:07 PM
Car-Tune

But the new sprint is designed to throw the rocks back out if coughs in the belt.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:17 PM
ElectricGuy007

HPI Sprint cars are junk. The only thing good HPI can make is thier offroad stuff. Blitz, Savage etc...

I had a guy offer me a brand new sprint 2 for my slash 4wd, I took another guys offer and took a fully loaded Tamiya TA05 instead.
Im glad I did this now because i would have regretted it later.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:11 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ElectricGuy007

HPI Sprint cars are junk. The only thing good HPI can make is thier offroad stuff. Blitz, Savage etc...

I had a guy offer me a brand new sprint 2 for my slash 4wd, I took another guys offer and took a fully loaded Tamiya TA05 instead.
Im glad I did this now because i would have regretted it later.
LOL.......

Never had any issues with either of my Sprints...
Old 07-17-2012, 02:37 PM
alexchen86

That's why I sold my Sprint 2 cars...I had a flux when it first came out and also the Sprint 2 drift for my girlfriend.

I was tired of replacing belt after belt. Even cutting the small covers under the bulkheads front and back behind the belt where rocks can get lodged in it still tore belts like crazy.

The Sprint chassis is basically a finesse car. Meant to be driven and club raced on a prepped race track. You'd be surprised with the right setup just changing the electronics it will keep up with a lot of TC5's and some TC6 drivers. 

The belt design in theory is great since the car is a lot smoother and power is more efficiently managed but maintenance is through the roof if you drive it even on a clean parking lot.

I would go complain to HPI in a nice way and see if you can get a couple of new ones or at least one new one. Being a flux I'm sure you can easily sell it if it's in excellent condition. Good luck bud!
Old 07-20-2012, 03:34 AM
WindyCitySquirrel

ORIGINAL: HomieOC

There's no such thing as no rocks on the ground.

No rocks on the ground... Amazing, who knew. But that's only in california, right?

Tennis courts - - - most high schools and up scale parks have tennis courts.

Most tennis courts are fairly devoid of rocks.

Streets have rocks, parking lots have rocks (OBTW, there's rocks on the ground too) & unless you're willing to take a leaf blower and clear the rocks - rocks will get into ANY RC car - no fender wells / no sealed chassis - tires kick up rocks. These are tiny rocks - smaller than you think. It doesn't take a fist sized rock to tear a belt.

HPI redesigned the bulk heads & the chassis on the Sprint 2 Sport, Drift & Flux models to help with the rock problem. Short of cleaning the area that you want to bash in - well you're gonna have rocks.

Once a rock gets caught up in the rear belt it can tear the crap out of the teeth on the main shaft & the dif - which means they have to be replaced otherwise they will eat the lugs off of the belts.

Blame HPI and the car if that's what makes you feel better.

I drove mine on an asphalt parking lot, but I did a walk through first - for rocks. Regardless, my S2 found a couple small ones, but spit em out with no problem.

One way to help keep the rocks from getting wedged in between the rear belt and the pulley is to add a rear belt tensioner.

Streets have rocks, parking lots have rocks & unless you're willing to take a leaf blower and clear the rocks - rocks will get into ANY RC car - no fender wells - tires kick up rocks.

At organized races (99.99% of the time) the host and his crew will use leaf blowers to clear the race area and spray down a track prep solution to increase traction.

This equates to no rocks.

Blame HPI & the car if that's what makes you feel better.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:00 PM
digitalsmithy

I've gone through about 6 belts (3 front, 3 rear) and have come upwith this "prototype" housing for the rear belt and gears. I'm a 3d artist so i'm thinking of getting itprinted in plastic so it will last longer, so far it has done a great job!

i'll let y'all know if i get this printed, i'll make sure to get multiples if anyone is interested.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:56 AM
WindyCitySquirrel

ds - that's a great idea- but you might consider the heat build-up
HEAT... the motormay very welloverheat.
If the box was made of fine woven mesh screen - similar to this- then ... ?

Old 07-24-2012, 07:19 AM
digitalsmithy

definately a good idea, i'll keep the rigid framing and have the rest be mesh at least have several "intakes" of mesh.
Old 08-11-2012, 02:33 PM
chonyc77

This is the exact reason why i grabbed my sprint, gutted the motor and esc and left her on my shelf to collect dust. That is all she does well anyway.