Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Brushed upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 12:58 AM
malekith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushed upgrade

I need advice on brushed upgrades for 1/10 short course play and general bashing

Motor options
  1. OFNA 550 12T
  2. Team EPIC "SpeedGems" Emerald 540 Brushed Electric Motor (16x2)
ESCoptions
  1. Losi MSC12L 4 Model
  2. OFNA B4222
  3. Venom 60A/240A
Or are ther any other combos (Please, no Brushless) out there that for less than $90?
Old 09-17-2012, 01:04 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Brushed upgrade

Why do you want to stay away from brushless? More power, less maintenance, greater reliability...just curious? I wouldn't even recommend brushed to someone I didn't like these days.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:38 AM
malekith

There are a number of reasons.
  1. I have a fair ammount of nimh batteries that are not yet dead, and running BL systems from 7.2v nimh seems a bit silly.
  2. I share the car with my 4 year old son (I'll buy a proper BL car for myself next year, probably 1:8 or something)
  3. The car itself probably won't survive bashing with the kind of power that a BLsystem provides, especially with my co-driver
  4. My friend also has a Brushed car and the same situation regarding batteries and co-driver.
  5. My own skills as a driver... I'll need to learn how to drive properly... bought this car this summer, which is about 18 years since my last car a NIKKO(?) buggy from -90 or something broke.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:27 AM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

I've been having lots of fun with my stock, brushed Sprint 2 running on nimh. I assume that being belt driven and on-road it is geared a bit higher than an SCT, but the 15t is fine for running on-road in relatively compact areas.

Even with 15t, I feel like a bad crash could break something but more likely the body will take the impact.

Any motor 15t-12t or less should be fine, and really you can't go wrong with a brushed ESC on NiMh... as long as the ESC has the functions you want (Reverse, waterproof etc) and a good price it should be fine.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:45 AM
malekith

Thanx for the reply, first one to accept the validity of running brushed.

What does the X2 in the 16x2 motor mean?
Old 09-17-2012, 08:54 AM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

"16 Turn Double 540 Brushed Electric Motor"
I think it's something to do with how the motor is assembled. Either way it's 16t which will be slower than the 12t, but it's all up to the speed you're looking for and the price.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:09 PM
jayjay283

I understand your points about wanting to keep it mellow for the kid, a few points though, brushless is less maintenace and infinitly adjustable and these days probably cheaper. I was running some 6 cell NImh in Velineon 3500 kv brushless system and its pretty slow but fun and hassle free. When brushed motors started with all that replasing stuff inside them I went to nitro and stayed there until brushless
Old 09-17-2012, 11:15 PM
malekith

Ok,

I do have a brushless motor that I was saving for later use
Motor Size: 3650
RPM/V: 3980ointer">kv
Max Load: 72A
Max volts: 11.1v 2~3s
Max Watts: 750w
Resistance: 0.0086

If I was to run this with a suitable ESC(guess 80Arated minimum??)on nimh for my son, how much runtime would a 3300mah nimh provide?
I suppose that when looking for suitable lipos for that motor I would have to look at [mah] * (100/ [C-rating]) > 720 to make sure that the lipo can deliver the peak Amps?

[Edit 1]Since nimh batts are quite simple to work with I could probably modify my nimh batts into a couple of sets of 6600mah saddle packs to increase runtime....

[Edit 2]Would that motor run on a 8.4v nimh? can an ESCsuitable for that motor run on 8.4v nimh?

Old 09-17-2012, 11:54 PM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: malekith

Thanx for the reply, first one to accept the validity of running brushed.

What does the X2 in the 16x2 motor mean?
I accept your reasons, however, I still feel that you can get the results you want from a brushless setup.

The denominations 16x2 mean it's 16 turns (lower turns=faster, but more power drain), the x2 refers to how many times the motor is wound. More windings means smoother delivery and smoother draw from the battery, and a little more torque.

Now, regarding brushless.... the brushless motor you have, geared nice and low, would be great for the young ones on a regular 7.2v nimh. It will not be uncontrollably fast, 4000kv is a nice mild setup. You could expect more runtime with the brushless motor from any battery, regardless of chemistry. Plus you will never have to replace brushes, etc. The 72A requirement of that motor is a statement of 'burst' current, the most the motor can possibly draw under load. You would be fine with a 60A esc for that motor, it won't even get warm. The 8.4v battery will make it around 15% faster and will also run fine, no problem at all.

If you try it and the speed is more than you expected, you can easily just throw a smaller pinion on the motor and reduce the speed dramatically.

If you insist on waiting to use the BL setup, I won't berate you for it, it is completely your choice, and feeling comfortable with what you are running is a totally valid reason. Once you do throw that motor in there though, you will realise why we just don't do brushed any more.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:58 PM
Foxy

I once typed this post about brushless and lipo for someone and have linked it to many people since. I hope it helps you...

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Electric guidelines:

Motor

Motors come in 2 basic varieties; brushed and brushless. Brushed motors are older technology and are only really used still in classes that dictate you must use a brushed motor, and other applications that require very smooth throttle response and low speed control, such as Crawling and Drifting. Brushed motors need maintenance every so often, changing the brushes when they wear down and sometimes shaving a layer of metal off the commutator (using a 'comm lathe') to provide a better surface for the brushes.

Brushless motors are the newer technology, requiring no maintenance and delivering significantly more speed and power for the same ratings.

Both types of motor are rated in 'turns', with higher turns being more torque and less speed, and lower turns the opposite. Most brushless motors are also referred to as having a specific KV rating. This is a measure of their maximum rpm per volt. So, for example, if you see a brushless 10.5 turn 4000kv motor, it will turn 4000rpm for every volt supplied at maximum throttle. So the max speed (in rpm) of that motor on a 7.4v lipo battery will be 7.4*4000. In general consider that 3000kv or less is a fairly slow motor for high torque, and a 9000kv motor is a very fast, less torquey motor. The current a motor pulls on startup and under load (amps) goes up with the KV.

Speed controllers

Speed controllers also come in the brushed and brushless variety, indicating what kind of motor they can accept. There are many speed controls which can be switched or switch automatically between brushless and brushed operation. Running the wrong type of speed controller for the motor or running the wrong setting will destroy the speed controller and/or the motor in pretty short order.

The next things to look at on a speed controller are voltage and current ratings, which must not be exceeded. Often a speed controller (hereafter referred to as an ESC) will say first how many volts you can pump through it. Though this is often expressed in how many cells you can use (the number of cells your battery has). NimH old style batteries composed of a number of SubC cells are 1.2V per cell, and Lithium Polymer (lipo) batteries are rated at 3.7v per cell. You may see an ESC say '10 cell/3s max' This means 10 nimh cells (10*1.2=12v), or 3 lipo cells ('S' always refers to lipo cells) (3x3.7=11.1). Or the same speed controller may say 12v max. Once you have identified that the ESC can handle your batteries, you need to look at the current rating (maximum AMPS) and make sure your motor draw will not exceed that. Most motors will say how many amps they draw 'under load' and 'burst'. As long as those amps do not exceed the 'continuous' and 'burst' amp ratings of the ESC, you are good to go. As a general rule of thumb, 25A ESCs are for micro scale stuff, 40A ESCs will do for most 1/10th stuff, 60A ESCs are for the heavy duty (very high kv) 1/10th stuff, 80A for light duty 1/8th stuff, 120A for midrange 1/8th scale stuff, and 150-200A for the really big 1/8th scale stuff.

Batteries

Nimh batteries (made up of smaller 1.2v cells) need to be maintained. After a couple months being flat, they will rarely take a full charge again, at least not without careful resurrection using a complex cycling charger for many hours, apart from that, decent nimh cells should be fine for almost all your current needs, though cannot reach the performance of lipo.

Lipo batteries are a little more trouble, but overall lower maintenance. The thing about Lipos is that they could start a fire if mistreated. Mistreated means; overcharged, overdischarged, badly damaged. These batteries must never be allowed to drop below 2.9v per cell. If this happens, first of all there is the fire risk if high current is still being pulled through it, but also a battery overdischarged in this way will never take a full charge again, and may visibly 'swell'. Therefore it's critical when using lipo batteries to use a speed control that has an automatic lipo cutoff, ideally one which you can set. When I have the option, I always set my lipo cutoff to 3.0v per cell. (so when a 2s (2 cell) 7.4v battery reaches 6.0v, the ESC stops the power to prevent battery damage). These batteries also need to be regularly balanced to make sure that the batteries stay at the same voltage per cell so that the lipo cutoff works properly. The danger of an unbalanced battery, is that eventually, if one cell in the battery were to fall to 2.5v, yet the other was still at 3.6v, that wouldn't be low enough (combined=6.1v) to activate the cutoff, but the first cell is already damaged beyond repair, having dropped too low. Balancing your batteries prevents these voltage mismatches. Most lipo chargers include a balancing charge option, which will do this automatically.

It is very difficult, nigh on impossible these days, to start a lipo fire, but the risk can be completely mitigated by following the basic guidelines and using safety equipment such as a lipo charging bag.

The good thing about Lipos is that they charge fast (can be charged in an hour at the most, and many can be fully charged in half an hour), they do not lose much charge over time sitting around, they deliver incredible amounts of current, and last a very long time. Despite the extra care, these batteries are VASTLY superior to the other type, and I strongly recommend getting some and getting used to their idiosyncracies. Dont be put off by the extra care they require, follow these simple rules and they are very easy to own and will serve you well for many many charge cycles.

Charge and discharge rating... When you buy a lipo battery, as well as the number of cells (2S, 3S, 4S, etc, which determine the voltage, 7.4, 11.1, and 14.8 respectively), and the duration expressed in mAh (milliamp hours), you will also see a discharge rating, expressed in 'C', for example, '2s 7.4v 5000mAh 25C'. This means it is a 2 cell 7.4v battery which will last for 5000miliamp hours and the maximum discharge rate is 25C. The C rating is an expression of how much continuous current (Amps) the battery can deliver safely (exceeding this can damage the battery and/or the ESC). The C rating is calculated based on the capacity. So, 25C on a 5000mAh battery is 25x5 (remember 5000mA=5A), so this battery can deliver 125A of maximum continous current. A 40C battery of the same capacity would be able to deliver 200A of continuous current (40x5A=200A). Once again, it is important to match the battery to what your motor and ESC are capable of. To be honest, most batteries of 4000mAh or more at 20C or more are good enough for most applicatoins, it only starts to be a problem in the really high power 1/8th applications, where a 2650kv motor pulls say 150A regularly. You would need to make sure that the C rating of your battery multiplied by its capacity makes at least 150 in order not to risk damage to the battery and/or ESC

The same applies when charging. You may see a battery say it can be charged at 1C or 2C. Lets take the 5000mAh example again. 1C as we said=5A, 2C=10A etc. So a 'Charge at 2C' battery with 5000mAh capacity can be charged at 10A maximum.