Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

First "REAL" on road car help.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:17 PM
RCVTRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First "REAL" on road car help.

ok so i used to have a rustler and a micro T, dont have the rustler any more. But i really want something i can drift and race, but i want to do that with only changing tires.

i have up to $160 with shipping and i have no rc suppies what-so-ever besides a few micro batteries. I Can buy used but i have no knoladge of whats good. Also it seems like all on-road cars are custom. So... With no building experience what so ever, could i buy an ARR and add parts to it because that would be cheaper? or should i stick to RTR. ANY help would be apreciated on this matter.

Old 07-07-2012, 12:36 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: First

In order to both drift and race successfully, you need to have a good understanding of the geometry of the car, ideally having built it yourself. They really are not challenging to build. Also, you have not allocated enough budget for even a kit that you could race, let alone an RTR. The RTRs you can get for that amount of money will perform poorly, but adequately, depending on your expectations. They will not be raceworthy, but may drift ok. Which brings me to the thing about changing only tires...that's not possible I'm afraid. A car setup for drifting, on grip tires on a track would be terrible. Similarly a car setup for track use would be extremely challenging to drift smoothly. It really can't be done, the two setups are completely opposite. You could do it by having another set of all 4 shock absorbers and 2 rear differentials, as well as the tires, but those are the minimum parts you would need to swap to change its role.

If you really are interested in getting into the on-road hobby I strongly recommend saving a few more bucks and getting something good, ideally that you can build.

The drift RTRs are a little more expensive, but at least they do what they are supposed to do well, drift. This is because you don't need high end electronics to drift. The normal grip cars are a little cheaper, but they have almost the same electronics, which are frankly inadequate for een just going fast outside the house. Their speed is not impressive. You need a brushless motor to go fast, and RTRs with brushless are somewhat more than you have to spend, especially if you need to buy a charger too.

Try one of these to start with...

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...z-Radio-System

That is as cheap as I would ever go, and this car is not without its own minor issues. If you decided to wait and save a few more bucks, you could get this...

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...z-Radio-System

The Sprint 2 is a much better car than the E10 and more importantly comes with a 2.4ghz radio, which means you will never lose control of the car to interference, and get more range than the AM radio included in the E10.

In any case, the sprint 2 is the better platform to later put a cheap brushless set into.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:25 AM
RCVTRC

is there any good cars for either drift or touring thaat i can afford used or new? also how would you switch to brushless? do u have to do soldiering?
Old 07-07-2012, 09:03 AM
Foxy

No, you don't usually need to do any soldering, particularly if you buy a brushless combo that's designed to be used together.

There are no 'good' cars for what you want to spend. The E10 is absolutely the cheapest you should consider. 184 bucks for an RTR with 2.4ghz radio is a good deal.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:03 AM
The Mad Modder

What about the tt01e? The e10 is kind of a problematic chassis due to it's weak transmission.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:25 AM
Foxy

Can you get them rtr for 160? To be honest, I always forget Tamiya.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:38 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder

What about the tt01e? The e10 is kind of a problematic chassis due to it's weak transmission.
is that from experience????

I own a e10 and started the E10 thread, Every problem around the gearbox is from people not setting the gear mesh correctly, or from the mount comming loose.
no kidding I know other people have had problems, but mine was a kit and was built with love, even shimed the diffs, Its been the most reliable car ive ever owned out of 17 car, still have 16 of them

The e10 is perfect for people on a budget IMO
Old 07-08-2012, 03:48 AM
phmaximus

yes on paper the sprint 2 is a better car. But ive never seen a vid of a sprint out drift a e-10

E10 will out drift a TT01, but a TT01 will out race the e10.... catch 22
Old 07-08-2012, 02:08 PM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder

is that from experience????

I own a e10 and started the E10 thread, Every problem around the gearbox is from people not setting the gear mesh correctly, or from the mount comming loose.
no kidding I know other people have had problems, but mine was a kit and was built with love, even shimed the diffs, Its been the most reliable car ive ever owned out of 17 car, still have 16 of them

The e10 is perfect for people on a budget IMO
I know it can be done, however you aren't exactly a beginner or on a $160 budget.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:25 PM
narwalrus
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Foxy

My TT01ES RTR Evo X was $140 shipped. REMEMBER TAMIYA YO'

Why didn't I get here earlier...

Check ebay for tt01 xb/rtr
Old 07-08-2012, 06:32 PM
phmaximus

ORIGINAL: TheDriftingNarwhal

ORIGINAL: Foxy

My TT01ES RTR Evo X was $140 shipped. REMEMBER TAMIYA YO'

Why didn't I get here earlier...

Check ebay for tt01 xb/rtr
I agree if the OP plans to race go the TT01, its a better racer than a e10, less understeer. But the TT01 wont really stand a chance against any true race car. I would get a sprint 2 over a TT01
Old 07-08-2012, 06:44 PM
RCVTRC

Too late, i just won a used HPI micro RS4. its 1/18 so its not too small and it came with tons of extras including 4 motors, 1 of them is brushless, but no battery and charger. Any tips or thoughts on my purchase, i spent $96 with shipping, and still need a battery and charger.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:46 AM
Foxy

It can only go on completely smooth surfaces which is kinda restrictive, but it's a decent model for what it does.