Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ofna GTP2e or DM-1 Spec-e

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAGUH&P=0
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBVHF&P=0

I am looking to pick up one of these 1/8 onroad brushles kits but I would like to hear some of the advantages/disadvantages of one over the other. I am wanting to do another top speed poject. I am a speed freak and I love to make these as fast as possible! I think I am leaning toward the GTP2e. It has a 3.14:1 diff ratio and the DM-1 has a 3.30:1 diff ratio. the GTP2e has a better internal ratio for top speed but it comes with just a 51t spur and from what I have found they don't sell any optional spurs in smaller sizes. the DM-1 looks like I can get a spur as small as 47T. Are the center spools in these cars interchangable? And can I use the spurs from one on the other? I like the motor mount on the GTP2e better than the DM-1. It looks more solid and looks like it has more room for gear adjustment than the DM-1. I also preffer the conventional shock setup of the GTP2e over the inboard shock system on the DM-1. Do inboard shocks really have any advantage? They look like they just add weight and more moving parts that can fail. I like the chassis on the Dm-1 better it looks like it should be lighter but maybe not?

so what are you guys thoughts on these two kits? They are both obviously a great deal for a Brushless kit especially since I already have an extra MMM system just waiting to drop into something! My biggest question is regarding the gearing. Which one will accomodate the tallest gear ratio? I think the GTP2e has the best potential for the tallest gearing due the the 3.14:1 diff ratio and the motor mount looks to have more room for adjustment. I am sure I can fabricate other spurs to fit in there as well.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Ofna GTP2e or DM-1 Spec-e

either one you can get down to a 1:1 spur pinion if you order Single Speed Conversion, 8mm shaft revo spur gear from rc-monster.com you can get either cars spur or pinion to a revo 34t He also makes an 8mm to 5mm bore reducer so you can use a single speed conversion mount as a pinion, both with integy delrin 34t pinion for nitro revo. He has custom motor mounts for the DM-1 and the GTP also. Stock the dm-1 will only go 47spur 19p, the ofna mount sucks. Mikes mount and you can go much bigger pinion. But for smaller spur you need single speed conversion. Them being evenly geared now except the diffs, dm-1 has better adjustment and handling (can get a carbon fiber upright shock mount from snr graphite) but the chassis with all the cutouts isnt great for top end (people have fabricated chassis overlays) GTP has better diff ratio.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Both of these kits come single speed so no need for a conversion. I am confident I can come up with a way to fabricate some smaller spurs I haven't seen one in person yet but my biggest turn of toward the DM-1 is it looked like the fit and finish was loose in one of the reviews I saw on it. It seemed to have quite a bit of "slop" in the suspension and steering. I wonder if it the same with the GTP2e? I have been trying to find a good Video review but have been unable to find one.

Also is the Ofna 1/8 late model dirt oval car the same as the GTP2e? from the limited pics I have seen of it it looks to be the same except for the body and possible the tires. but it is about $20 cheaper. I found one for $189 for a brand new kit![X(]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

rc-monsters single speed conversion is so you can run smaller spur gears, it has a smaller diameter hub, cant get smaller than a 47 on the ofna SS hub thats why the revo spurs, just saw a guy on ebay making them too "117 mph ofna dm1 and gtp2e plate spur gear 34t 36t 38t 40t mod 1 or 0.8 mod"

dm-1 upright [link]http://www.snrgraphite.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=34_19&products_id=36&zenid=cd736f30394e374ee945338a25a0262c[/link] slop gone, all ofnas need to be taken apart, proper lubes in it, and lock tite it up, assembly by $2 an hour 3rd world 7 year old

people get the gtp2e and put the rear pivotball off the late model, but then you are in DM-1 price

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I currently run the dm-1 and the gtp, i have single speed kits in all my speed cars and run a 1:1 ratio. I can say this out of experuence, the dm-1 handles much better than the gtp and the dm-1 has better options on the front end as for stoppers and the gtp does not, which come in play very much if your running over 130mph. And the fact of the matter as well, you CAN over gear your car. If you run a 34 spur and 40 pinion your car will actually go faster with a 34/34 because the bigger the pinion the more stress you put on the motor and the slower the motor spins. I am sponsored by STEVE NEU, IPANEMA and i am currently running the steve neu 1521 motor and the mamba xl2 esc on (2) thunder power 4s lipo's 65c 130 burst batteries and i am in the high 140's with this dm-1 and that is useing the ipanema gt warrior body. The same set up with the gtp there was a 2mph diffrence with the gtp being faster but i had to run a inner spring in the front and back to keep the car from scraping the ground. I have tried to get my top speeds on video and every time my tires blow. You can see my speeds on youtube search dm1 8s and my videos should come up. I keep blowing tures as soon as i hit the 140's i have run alpha's, grp's, exceed and many other tires and i am still trying tires as we speak. Good luck on your future runs and if you need any help just ask. I tell all my secreats and dont lie about my gearing or anything i run. Thats just how i am. I love to help people go fast even if they can go faster than i can. Good luck on you car purchase as well. Either car is great.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thats pretty impressive .. have you tried the traxxas xo1 tires before . they are bigger wouldnt that make the car go faster . Ive read that an own had hit over 150mph on them . what wind and kv is that motor you are running . have any pics of your cars and setups

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yakfish
    do you mind if i jump into this thread as im looking to do the exact same thing as you.

DM1 -159
    thats very fast. Well done. Ok so i ordered a DM one Spec E , as you seem happy with yours and i already have a Nitro one with heaps of spares because i crash a fair bit lol.

so what do we order now, as far as electric goes i know nothing except batteries, would you suggest a motor and controller and then an engine mount.

thanks Trevor

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

it all depends what type of speeds you are trying to accomplish . if your trying todo over 100mph you will need a mamba XL2 esc and a steve neu motor 1521 like described in post#4 above .

If you are trying to set it up for bashing or track use you can go with a castle 2200kv motor or 2650kv motor and mamba monster extreme
    the 2200 is 6S capable the 2650 is 4S max but ive seen people run it on 6S also even though its not recommended .

if you are trying todo over 100mph , you will need to order a spur gear mod from RCMONSTER.COM and he also sells the custom motor mount that allows for using bigger pinions . its really a matter of how fast your trying togo . if your not looking todo 100mph+ then you dont really need the custom spur gear mod or the custom motor mount .

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok, i changed a little.
    i just purchased a Traxxas X01 roller and a body shell from fleabay. I changed from the Ofna simply because the traxxas has much better aero, better front and rear tray with some diffusers built in, so maybe it will make a little difference.

Ive also ordered the XL2 esc from castle creations. Which 1521 should i get, far too much knowledge for me, so many variables. Also, can be a 12 week wait plus another two weeks delivery. Is there an option, maybe a Tekin motor.
    thanks again

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok, now you changed the game by getting a XO-1 now you need. Bigger motor, (steve neu 1530) now dont expect the speeds you were hoping for when you was going with the ofna. The Xslow-1 is A 1/7 scale car and actually holds alot of wind resistance, this is why you hardly ever see anyone doing speed runs with it. now for one more down fall with the Xslow-1 is it is made of almost all plastic and in a crash the batteries fly out and the car decenegrates. Trust me im speaking from experience. And as goes for the xo-1 tires, who ever said they were running 150+mph with them was lying. those xo-1 tires will blow or turn to pizza cutters at 125-130mph every time. i currently have 2 world record rc cars 1 is a gtp2e running 117mph on 4s which makes it the worlds fastest 1/8 scale on 4s, then i have. Gtp2e running 139mph on 6s now im working on my 8s set up that i know is in the high 150's LOW 160's. If i can do anything to help any one of you guys out just ask. I will be posting my top speeds on youtub. So keep a look out for them within the next week. Because im waiting on some new parts to finish my girl. Good luck to all my fellow speed freaks, just remember to keep the throttle wide open and stay out of the sky.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Dm1-159mph

Ok, now you changed the game by getting a XO-1 now you need. Bigger motor, (steve neu 1530) now dont expect the speeds you were hoping for when you was going with the ofna. The Xslow-1 is A 1/7 scale car and actually holds alot of wind resistance, this is why you hardly ever see anyone doing speed runs with it. now for one more down fall with the Xslow-1 is it is made of almost all plastic and in a crash the batteries fly out and the car decenegrates. Trust me im speaking from experience. And as goes for the xo-1 tires, who ever said they were running 150+mph with them was lying. those xo-1 tires will blow or turn to pizza cutters at 125-130mph every time. i currently have 2 world record rc cars 1 is a gtp2e running 117mph on 4s which makes it the worlds fastest 1/8 scale on 4s, then i have. Gtp2e running 139mph on 6s now im working on my 8s set up that i know is in the high 150's LOW 160's. If i can do anything to help any one of you guys out just ask. I will be posting my top speeds on youtub. So keep a look out for them within the next week. Because im waiting on some new parts to finish my girl. Good luck to all my fellow speed freaks, just remember to keep the throttle wide open and stay out of the sky.

Which motors and esc are you running on 4S with what gearing to hit 117MPH? And so forth for the 6S and 8S setup . I have a GTP2 Id like to setup for hi speed .. Which body are you using for these speedruns ?

What inner springs are you running on the Gtp2e because I have the same problem with my car bottoming out at 125+ my DM-1 no prob at 135+.