Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

HPI WR8, can someone please explain?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 11:00 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default HPI WR8, can someone please explain?

I just watched a review of the WR8 and it looks AWSOME. It looks like it has all the things I have always wanted in a RC car, speed-durability-handling-ect.

Most models ive owned have issue with any dirt at all. gets in the gears, screws them up ext. The WR8 looks like it can handle some dirt and light offroad driving. the partial fenders look like they will keep most dirt out.

Here is my problem. Its based on the bullet line. The cheapest bullet flux is $330 on tower. But the WR8 flux is $480. WHAT??? Other than a licensed body, where is the extra cost coming from!

After watching the review I was all set to start saving for this model. But almost $500 for a RTR car is nuts. Its not even a true 1/8 scale.

Maybe HPI will offer a kit? I dont need their over priced BL system and radio.

I know Im complaining here. But you got to admit that a $100+ price increase for a "reused" chassis doesnt make sense. OH, and you dont even get a battery!

Review vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsrV2...ture=g-all-lik
Old 10-20-2012, 02:50 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: HPI WR8, can someone please explain?

Find a used one if you don't want to pay full price. The chances of HPI offering up a kit version are most likely slim to none. Personally the body on it is the only thing about the car that is appealing to me. You could go with one of the GT8 car kits and set it up for ralley style pretty easily also. Kyosho has several very nice bodies that fit them. that way you get true 1/8 scale and have the option to put your own brushless system in it. Really you could probably do it all for less money if you went with a GTP2e and a cheap Hobby King system and bateries.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:37 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: yakfish

Find a used one if you don't want to pay full price. The chances of HPI offering up a kit version are most likely slim to none. Personally the body on it is the only thing about the car that is appealing to me. You could go with one of the GT8 car kits and set it up for ralley style pretty easily also. Kyosho has several very nice bodies that fit them. that way you get true 1/8 scale and have the option to put your own brushless system in it. Really you could probably do it all for less money if you went with a GTP2e and a cheap Hobby King system and bateries.
that is all pretty true. And I often do buy used and put in cheaper electronics, so I can have my fun for less $$$.
I just want to know why HPI thinks they can charge $100 more for a model that differs soo little from its bullet brother.
While i think the WR8 looks a bit better, its $60 or so more than the traxxas 1/10 rally (probly the closest comparible model)

I know I only complain cause im poor. I have only ever spent $500 on a single rc model once, and it was a 1/5 gasser (clone baja)
For the most part, I never spend more than $200 on any single model. (and I mean RTR or RX ready models)
Its almost impossible for me to swallow spending $500 on a car. I can see how something like the savage flux is pricey, but it takes less material and less power to move a car than it does a truck.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:50 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

think thats bad?
look at the SC Flux HPI slapped some extended TVP's, and a SC body on a savage flux along with a $360 higher price tag.
You could buy the flux, and the TCS plate kit which IMO looks way better for way less. Hell even throwing the body on top to make it look like s SCT you still save enough cash to buy 3 sets of batteries and still not be at HPI's price

I'm been mulling over converting my pede 4X4, or my 1/8th buggy(that was made from a 1/12th scale CRT) to a rally personally.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:53 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Supply and demand determines prices. If people won't spend what HPI is selling it for then one of two things will happend: 1) the price will be reduced or 2) the model will be discontinued.