Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Looking for a Rear Wheel Drive OnRoad Car

Old 10-31-2012, 03:21 AM
-JBLKING-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a Rear Wheel Drive OnRoad Car

Im interested in recreating a RWD model (Will look at AWD/4WD later) and am wondering about what platforms out there offer that. I am a novice in the RC hobby so i havent looked into on road cars yet. My requirements are that the model be RTR, RWD, Electric. All opinions and advice welcome. Thank you!

Old 10-31-2012, 12:06 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts
Default RE: Looking for a Rear Wheel Drive OnRoad Car

what are you recreating? knowing that will be a big help. and is it something you plan on driving? or just puting on a shelf?
ill tell you right now you're not going to find much in rear wheel drive on road unless you go with a pan car (or convert a 4wd).
Old 10-31-2012, 12:28 PM
-JBLKING-

yes ive noticed there arent many RWD/2WD on road cars. I want to make a semi realistic chassic for any RWD car. I havent decided on a body yet.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:24 PM
Uncle Vinnie

Both the Tamiya TT-01 or the HPI E10 can be used as a rear wheel drive car, all you have to do remove the driveshaft.
Both cars are RTR and under $200

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZUA8&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTCR5&P=ML
Old 10-31-2012, 01:39 PM
-JBLKING-

Yea, i saw the Tamiyas and HPIs, i guess there isnt a stock model available for RWD huh? I wonder why is that?
Old 10-31-2012, 01:48 PM
Uncle Vinnie

They are impossible to drive, impossible to stop, not fun at all, give it a try and you'll know what I mean.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:16 PM
-JBLKING-

huh really? nothing like that ocurred to me, i just wanted a more realisticly handling on road car.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:34 PM
suburban_hooligan

ORIGINAL: Uncle Vinnie

They are impossible to drive, impossible to stop, not fun at all, give it a try and you'll know what I mean.
they are not. haveyou ever actually tried driving one? iv logged a lot more time on pan cars than touring cars. even ran my nitro RS4 2 in a rear wheel drive configuration for a short time after a front outdrive broke. rear wheel drive isn't hard to drive if the set up is right. it just requires a little skill andtechnique. you could almost compare it to driving a porsche 911.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:55 PM
Uncle Vinnie

I hope your not trying to compare a pan car to a touring car....2 totally different things, of all people you should know that.
Did you continue driving your RS4 2 in rear wheel drive configuration??? I bet you didn't, explain why...because it's not fun.

JBLking is a beginner, with a rear wheel drive he will be so frustrated that he will give up trying to drive the car.

And by the way, referring it as driving a Porsche 911, come on....how many people do you think in this forum have driven a 911.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:19 PM
-JBLKING-

What is the difference between a pan and touring car? Enlighten me
Old 10-31-2012, 03:35 PM
suburban_hooligan

I hope your not trying to compare a pan car to a touring car....2 totally different things, of all people you should know that.
Did you continue driving your RS4 2 in rear wheel drive configuration??? I bet you didn't, explain why...because it's not fun.

And by the way, referring it as driving a Porsche 911, come on....how many people do you think in this forum have driven a 911.
i did actually contenue to run it like that. i removed the front belt and front dogbones and drove it that way for over a month. with a little bit of tuning it wasn't that bad. i actually injoyed it, it was more of a drivers car.

and rather you've driven a 911 or not, you know the credo "slow in, fast out". that's what i had to do with the RS4.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:35 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

PAN Car

As u can see from the pic they are very different from a toruing car. biggest things are they are RWD, Live axle, Motor in the rear, 2" wide foam tyres, Very light & little suspension travel.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:37 PM
-JBLKING-

huh, looks like the setup im looking for in terms of the RWD, but doesnt look too much fun to drive.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:54 PM
phmaximus

ORIGINAL: suburban_hooligan

they are not. have you ever actually tried driving one? iv logged a lot more time on pan cars than touring cars. even ran my nitro RS4 2 in a rear wheel drive configuration for a short time after a front outdrive broke. rear wheel drive isn't hard to drive if the set up is right. it just requires a little skill and technique. you could almost compare it to driving a porsche 911.

Yes they are... sure pan cars are eaiser to drive, but thats not what he is talking about, have u ever drivin a touring car converted to RWD?

I have, my first Nitro car was a Great Vigot V2000 shaft driven 4wd touring car.... here is the thing the, mine was the 2wd drive version.

It handled like crap, it was to over powered for the 26mm wide tyres, yeah maby Adam Drake on a carpet track might of had more luck than me but This was my first car and i mainly bashed it on the crappy roads around here. I found it very fustrating

I even fitted a 2 speed gearbox & found each timeit changed gear the rear would loose traction and it would be going sideways up the street....no fun at all.
It dident take long for me to upgrade it with the 4wd kit... it handled 10 times better after that.

Every tryed drifting a 2wd toruing car????Lets just say there is a reson they are 4wd and use plastic tyres

U cant compare a real car to a rc car, i mean look at the surfaces we drive on, A real road has a vearing surface of say 15mm....thats nothing to a real car but it really upsets a rc car,if u were to mimick this u would need to find a surface that doesno vary more than 1.5mm... only thing close to that is ultra smoothe concreate
Old 10-31-2012, 03:56 PM
suburban_hooligan

ORIGINAL: -JBLKING-

huh, looks like the setup im looking for in terms of the RWD, but doesnt look too much fun to drive.
they're fun to race on a track do to slot car like handling. but unless you're weird (like me) probably not the most fun to bash with it. i like bashing pan cars because it reminds me of bashing ale mans prototype race car. if you want to replicate a muscle car, they aren't the most ideal chassis for your need
Old 10-31-2012, 03:58 PM
-JBLKING-

I'll take your word for it. Guess that discouraged me from 2wd then what touring car chassis would you guys recommend? in terms of realism and just good tunable quality.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:58 PM
phmaximus

have a look at the tamiya M06

here is a good example

Old 10-31-2012, 04:02 PM
phmaximus

they're fun to race on a track do to slot car like handling. but unless you're weird (like me) probably not the most fun to bash with it. i like bashing pan cars because it reminds me of bashing a le mans prototype race car. if you want to replicate a muscle car, they aren't the most ideal chassis for your need
Do u know whats even worse to bash????
A Fwd chassis, I had a Tamiya M03 and man talk about a boring car to bash lol
Old 10-31-2012, 04:03 PM
phmaximus

U just need to work out rc cars are nothing like a real car...and they never will be, apples to oranges
Old 10-31-2012, 04:06 PM
-JBLKING-

Wow, thats more like it! I dont have experience with Tamiya at all (Still a novice, im getting there haha) but from my digging, i would say they are a somewhat reputable brand. The M0-6 looks like the first RWD in the series, i hope i dont encounter any first design problems if i were to choose it. Looks like a nice compact chassis tho.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:13 PM
-JBLKING-

The tamiya kits look great, but is there anything more RTR? i can work with the kits, but the less i have to buy, the better.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:19 PM
suburban_hooligan

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

they're fun to race on a track do to slot car like handling. but unless you're weird (like me) probably not the most fun to bash with it. i like bashing pan cars because it reminds me of bashing ale mans prototype race car. if you want to replicate a muscle car, they aren't the most ideal chassis for your need
Do u know whats even worse to bash????
A Fwd chassis, I had a Tamiya M03 and man talk about a boring car to bash lol
seriously? iv got an M03 chassis. love that thing (once i put bearings and universals in it). it's a total drivers car. the only down side is it's slow with the silver can motor. i put a 20 turn in mine.
friend of mine had an FF-01. that thing was awesome as hell.

front wheel drive cars just have there own unique style. it's ether a technique you understand and master, or they're a frustrating nightmare.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:20 PM
Uncle Vinnie

How much are you looking to spend????
Compact doesn't necessary mean good....it's hard to work on them, specially if you have big fingers like me.
Sometimes in order to replace a part you'll need to take the whole car apart....
Old 10-31-2012, 04:26 PM
-JBLKING-

Im looking to spend no more than $300, low 200s high 100s.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:30 PM
suburban_hooligan

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMGP9&P=ML [8D]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.