RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Mugen Mgt7 good choice?

Reply
Old 09-03-2017, 10:20 AM
  #1
ozzy1925
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 25
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Mugen Mgt7 good choice?

I am a newbie and currently own 2 rc car redcat xte and volcano epx and I have spent more than 1000usd to them but as you can guess these are newbie cars.I now want a fast road car ,I saw on YouTube people reaches 150 mph with mugen mgt 7 with 8s lipo .I know it's not easy to get to these speeds but will try my best.Do you think is the mgt7 is a good choice and i see there are 2 versions electric version and nitro which is 50usd more .Whats the difference between 2 models and which one should I get? I also see there is new mtc 1

Last edited by ozzy1925; 09-03-2017 at 12:30 PM.
ozzy1925 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:27 PM
  #2
bill_delong
 
bill_delong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 129
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Nitro will produce speeds equivalent to around 5S with a 2400kV motor, for a newbie I would stay with electric... nitro is better suited for racing with a pit crew with mains that run 30 min to an hour straight. Electric is far more economical in the long run and far less hassle.
bill_delong is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:14 PM
  #3
flyinwalenda
 
flyinwalenda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Northeast, PA
Posts: 3,721
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

You are comparing apples and oranges. You are looking at one of the best RC vehicles while owning two of the worst !
You also know that the Mugen's are kit cars ? Like all high-end RC vehicles, you have to provide the motor/engine and all electronics(servos, batteries, starter, radio, receiver, etc) and then build it.
Yes electric will be easier to run but either way you will be looking at spending around $1300.00 plus to finish one of these. You don't put cheap junk components into a $570.00 chassis.

Good Luck

Last edited by flyinwalenda; 09-03-2017 at 09:17 PM.
flyinwalenda is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:58 PM
  #4
bill_delong
 
bill_delong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 129
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinwalenda View Post
You don't put cheap junk components into a $570.00 chassis.
Good Luck
I race at the club level, and choose to run budget electronics like GoolRC motors and JX servos in my 1/8 Tekno truggy and buggy and they've been holding up nicely for me, although I don't currently race with Radiolink, I have ran that system in the past to get nearly identical results with my luxury radio system on the track... when it comes to ESC's, I have learned to spend a little more and have had the best results with HobbyWing

I don't see any reason why the OP can't spend around $250-$300 on modest electronics that will stand the test of time.
bill_delong is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 03:36 AM
  #5
flyinwalenda
 
flyinwalenda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Northeast, PA
Posts: 3,721
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

People can do anything they want........................and they usually do . Especially things that don't make sense !
flyinwalenda is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 03:47 AM
  #6
seedygreenute
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 193
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Same car isnt it ???
Pretty sure those guys use custom motor mounts to fit the gears/motor .
Set your goals a little lower and build up the speed .
Be prepared for crashes , they can get expensive !
seedygreenute is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 03:26 PM
  #7
ozzy1925
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 25
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinwalenda View Post
You are comparing apples and oranges. You are looking at one of the best RC vehicles while owning two of the worst !
You also know that the Mugen's are kit cars ? Like all high-end RC vehicles, you have to provide the motor/engine and all electronics(servos, batteries, starter, radio, receiver, etc) and then build it.
Yes electric will be easier to run but either way you will be looking at spending around $1300.00 plus to finish one of these. You don't put cheap junk components into a $570.00 chassis.

Good Luck
Well i don't remember where I said I will be putting junk components on mugen chassis?I spent more than 1k to redcat so 2k on mugen is no problem for me.What I am asking is mgt7 good choice or are there better alternatives?And I want to know if nitro and electric uses mainly same components like chassis etc. Because I find good deal on nitro version ,can convert it to electric ?
ozzy1925 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 03:34 PM
  #8
ozzy1925
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 25
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_delong View Post
Nitro will produce speeds equivalent to around 5S with a 2400kV motor, for a newbie I would stay with electric... nitro is better suited for racing with a pit crew with mains that run 30 min to an hour straight. Electric is far more economical in the long run and far less hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_delong View Post
I race at the club level, and choose to run budget electronics like GoolRC motors and JX servos in my 1/8 Tekno truggy and buggy and they've been holding up nicely for me, although I don't currently race with Radiolink, I have ran that system in the past to get nearly identical results with my luxury radio system on the track... when it comes to ESC's, I have learned to spend a little more and have had the best results with HobbyWing

I don't see any reason why the OP can't spend around $250-$300 on modest electronics that will stand the test of time.
Thanks bill i am also using various goolrc motors esc and none of them failed yet .I know they are not the best but they are doing very well.Btw I ordered castle 1406 5700kv with mambax esc and will install it to volcano epx with grp tires .I will be using electric and don't want to race with mugen just speed runs
ozzy1925 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:06 PM
  #9
bill_delong
 
bill_delong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 129
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default

generally most nitros can be converted over to electric, but in some cases they might mill an entirely different chassis which can be cost prohibitive, I'm not sure which parts are universal with Mugen but I would take a look at their user manuals online and cross reference some part numbers to be certain. Integy has some conversion kits that might make it more affordable too, I would ask on RCTech Mugen thread to see if the MBX6 motor mount is compatible with the MBX7 (i.e. MGT7) :
Brushless Conversion Kits for 1/8 RC Buggies & Truggies for R/C or RC - Team Integy

Last edited by bill_delong; 09-04-2017 at 08:08 PM.
bill_delong is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:04 AM.