Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Mugen Mgt7 good choice?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 10:20 AM
ozzy1925

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mugen Mgt7 good choice?

I am a newbie and currently own 2 rc car redcat xte and volcano epx and I have spent more than 1000usd to them but as you can guess these are newbie cars.I now want a fast road car ,I saw on YouTube people reaches 150 mph with mugen mgt 7 with 8s lipo .I know it's not easy to get to these speeds but will try my best.Do you think is the mgt7 is a good choice and i see there are 2 versions electric version and nitro which is 50usd more .Whats the difference between 2 models and which one should I get? I also see there is new mtc 1

Last edited by ozzy1925; 09-03-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:27 PM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

Nitro will produce speeds equivalent to around 5S with a 2400kV motor, for a newbie I would stay with electric... nitro is better suited for racing with a pit crew with mains that run 30 min to an hour straight. Electric is far more economical in the long run and far less hassle.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:14 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are comparing apples and oranges. You are looking at one of the best RC vehicles while owning two of the worst !
You also know that the Mugen's are kit cars ? Like all high-end RC vehicles, you have to provide the motor/engine and all electronics(servos, batteries, starter, radio, receiver, etc) and then build it.
Yes electric will be easier to run but either way you will be looking at spending around $1300.00 plus to finish one of these. You don't put cheap junk components into a $570.00 chassis.

Good Luck

Last edited by flyinwalenda; 09-03-2017 at 09:17 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:58 PM
bill_delong

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
You don't put cheap junk components into a $570.00 chassis.
Good Luck
I race at the club level, and choose to run budget electronics like GoolRC motors and JX servos in my 1/8 Tekno truggy and buggy and they've been holding up nicely for me, although I don't currently race with Radiolink, I have ran that system in the past to get nearly identical results with my luxury radio system on the track... when it comes to ESC's, I have learned to spend a little more and have had the best results with HobbyWing

I don't see any reason why the OP can't spend around $250-$300 on modest electronics that will stand the test of time.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:36 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People can do anything they want........................and they usually do . Especially things that don't make sense !
Old 09-04-2017, 03:47 AM
seedygreenute

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Same car isnt it ???
Pretty sure those guys use custom motor mounts to fit the gears/motor .
Set your goals a little lower and build up the speed .
Be prepared for crashes , they can get expensive !
Old 09-04-2017, 03:26 PM
ozzy1925

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
You are comparing apples and oranges. You are looking at one of the best RC vehicles while owning two of the worst !
You also know that the Mugen's are kit cars ? Like all high-end RC vehicles, you have to provide the motor/engine and all electronics(servos, batteries, starter, radio, receiver, etc) and then build it.
Yes electric will be easier to run but either way you will be looking at spending around $1300.00 plus to finish one of these. You don't put cheap junk components into a $570.00 chassis.

Good Luck
Well i don't remember where I said I will be putting junk components on mugen chassis?I spent more than 1k to redcat so 2k on mugen is no problem for me.What I am asking is mgt7 good choice or are there better alternatives?And I want to know if nitro and electric uses mainly same components like chassis etc. Because I find good deal on nitro version ,can convert it to electric ?
Old 09-04-2017, 03:34 PM
ozzy1925

Originally Posted by bill_delong
Nitro will produce speeds equivalent to around 5S with a 2400kV motor, for a newbie I would stay with electric... nitro is better suited for racing with a pit crew with mains that run 30 min to an hour straight. Electric is far more economical in the long run and far less hassle.

Originally Posted by bill_delong
I race at the club level, and choose to run budget electronics like GoolRC motors and JX servos in my 1/8 Tekno truggy and buggy and they've been holding up nicely for me, although I don't currently race with Radiolink, I have ran that system in the past to get nearly identical results with my luxury radio system on the track... when it comes to ESC's, I have learned to spend a little more and have had the best results with HobbyWing

I don't see any reason why the OP can't spend around $250-$300 on modest electronics that will stand the test of time.
Thanks bill i am also using various goolrc motors esc and none of them failed yet .I know they are not the best but they are doing very well.Btw I ordered castle 1406 5700kv with mambax esc and will install it to volcano epx with grp tires .I will be using electric and don't want to race with mugen just speed runs
Old 09-04-2017, 08:06 PM
bill_delong

generally most nitros can be converted over to electric, but in some cases they might mill an entirely different chassis which can be cost prohibitive, I'm not sure which parts are universal with Mugen but I would take a look at their user manuals online and cross reference some part numbers to be certain. Integy has some conversion kits that might make it more affordable too, I would ask on RCTech Mugen thread to see if the MBX6 motor mount is compatible with the MBX7 (i.e. MGT7) :
Brushless Conversion Kits for 1/8 RC Buggies & Truggies for R/C or RC - Team Integy

Last edited by bill_delong; 09-04-2017 at 08:08 PM.