Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

New user with questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 04:43 PM
montanoj95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New user with questions

im a new user, i purchased a 4 tec 2.0 vxl with the brushless motor. i am trying to uprgade the shocks and i am not sure what i should purchase or even search for that matter. can anyone please help?
Old 09-23-2017, 05:37 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Lots of great TC (touring car) shocks out there. Traxxas even makes a set of "Big Bore" aluminum shocks for their on-road lineup.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:00 PM
montanoj95

thank you! so you would suggest searching for touring car shocks? maybe that will give me more options to look at?
Old 09-24-2017, 06:56 AM
Addicted2Flying

You need to watch out for things like shock shaft sizes, spring size, spring rebound, mounting hole position and size, ect. , many shocks out there. Not sure why u would want to upgrade? Upgrade should only be for piggyback shocks if that's your thing otherwise stock is fine. You need to get more involved. The shocks on the car can be setup for many different driving styles. The only reason to change is for appearance. The shocks you have you can change the spring /shock rebound make it harder or softer example a drift car/on road car should have hard rebound to minimize bouncing, trucks can have softer shocks hence why they bounce up and down a lot. Besides changing the springs you can change the piston in the shock, most come with a single hole piston from manufacturer if I remember correctly, 2 hole piston let's more oil threw faster when the shock compresses so the shock won't resist as much. So there's 2 examples of how to change how your shock behaves. There's shock spacers and also the shock oil visocity. Research into that and experiment. Welcome to the hobby. Good luck.

Last edited by Addicted2Flying; 09-24-2017 at 06:59 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 03:33 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by montanoj95
thank you! so you would suggest searching for touring car shocks? maybe that will give me more options to look at?
Your simplest option would probably be ....Big Bore shocks (short) (hard-anodized & PTFE-coated T6 aluminum) (assembled with TiN shafts w/ springs)(f/r)(2) (Note: Assembled with 32mm shafts, 29mm shafts included)
I'm not a fan of plastic shocks; haven't used any since '89, but if they work and do their job...all is good. If you just want to add bling, that's understandable as well. Like Addicted2flying was eluding to, trying to make different brands of shocks work on your platform, may take some extra work and parts to come up with a suitable substitute.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:17 PM
montanoj95

once again thank you!! lol
i was driving around today and noticed my tires at getting bald. what are some good on road tires i could use or search for?
Old 10-01-2017, 07:26 AM
FlapJackFred

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just be careful of the offsets some wheels have...https://www.amainhobbies.com/1-10-to...s-trucks/c2667
Old 10-22-2017, 11:10 AM
Jbrewer713

I don’t know if this helps I myself been using hpi d-compound for longer runs on the weekend. I usually get two weekends of running hard , but their a little $$ but worth the money.