Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Help new to rc

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 03:00 PM
Rob94

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help new to rc

Hi just wondering I'm using lithium batteries but there nt good enough as they nt holding charge dunno why I want to go to lipo batteries but dunno what I need or what cheapest n best ones or what charger n all sorts any help be great
thanks
Old 11-15-2017, 07:43 PM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

what car are you running? Does your ESC have an LVC that you can activate? I would also invest in a temp gun after upgrading to LiPo, most packs will offer more capacity and punch which typically increase temps and you might need to gear down to handle the extra power. You want to limit your motor to 160°F max.

Check out ValueHobby for a decent selection of LiPo packs and chargers:
GForce 25C 5000mAh 2S Car LiPO Pack (Hard Case) Value Hobby

GT POWER X-CHARGER C6 6S LiPO Charger(With Power Supply) Value Hobby

Depending on what car you have, you'll need to get the right adapter unless you want to solder up fresh connectors yourself.

Here's the temp gun that I like to use:
https://www.harborfreight.com/non-co...ter-93983.html
Old 11-16-2017, 03:25 AM
Rob94

It's a thunder tiger ts4n converted I've got got the esc 320a brushed cheap one even tho it was cheap handles 14v no problem in got to get another motor as I put wrong spur on so made it over heat
Old 11-16-2017, 03:46 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You say you are using lithium packs but they don't hold a charge .
What brand/model charger are you using to charge the battery now ?
What size battery (cell count/voltage & mah rating) is it?

Using the wrong type of charger is not good for the battery and can be dangerous.

Who did this conversion? Was it done correctly? You say the ESC can handle 14volts but can the brushed motor handle 14volts ?
Old 11-16-2017, 07:44 AM
Rob94

I did it all it worked spot on with a different battery of my friends my batteries where just cheapest off ebay same as the charger
battery brand is huosuli
the battery I tried was lithium but had to have two 7.2v that's why I want lipo batteries instead so I can have one as seen a few that just one battery is 14v or 10v
Old 11-16-2017, 12:05 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

You really need to get some assistance from someone familiar with RC, especially batteries. LiPos are lithium. And lithium batteries have a nominal 3.7 volts PER CELL. So a 2S LiPo is 7.4 volts and a 4S is 14.8 volts. A 7.2 volt battery is likely a 6 cell NiCd or NiMH. They have a lower power density than LiPos and use a different charger unless you have one that will work with many different types. The lower power density means they won't run as long.
All batteries will wear out from being charged too many times.
Old 11-16-2017, 03:54 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed.
You have been asked very specific yet easy questions to answer and you have only "sort of" answered one .
We can't help you like that.
Good luck !