Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

durable 1/10 touring car?

Old 05-16-2013, 12:27 AM
itsfishi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default durable 1/10 touring car?

interested to get some opinions on the durability of some less expensive 1/10 touring cars. from looking around the tt01 comes up a lot also the sakura zero s I know they are very different cars but just wandering how they and any other cars you think off would compare durability wise. ive got an idea when it comes to off road but not on road.
cheers
mark
Old 05-16-2013, 05:28 PM
ToraKitsu

Default RE: durable 1/10 touring car?

ORIGINAL: itsfishi

interested to get some opinions on the durability of some less expensive 1/10 touring cars. from looking around the tt01 comes up a lot also the sakura zero s I know they are very different cars but just wandering how they and any other cars you think off would compare durability wise. ive got an idea when it comes to off road but not on road.
cheers
mark
It would help to know what your budget will be, but if you're looking for bargain-basement stuff, you'll eventually be disappointed. The Sakura Zero, for being so inexpensive, is a good platform for the price, and would be my suggestion. The TT01 is simplistic - too simplistic, and requires upgrades right out of the box, an aluminum prop shaft and universals just two of them, and upgrades will get expensive for the TT01. The sakura has most of the parts already included to allow you to race, as soon as it's built, and replacement/option parts are very inexpensive, compared to Tamiya, so I suppose your choice is an easy one.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:42 AM
itsfishi

I wish it was that easy, I should explain a little more.
im starting an indoor race/fun rc night at a local indoor sports centre. approx. 35m x35 metres area with elevated driving area the surface is very short synthetic grass like carpet almost. im looking to rent 10 or so cars and want a durable car to do this with, but obviously the better they perform the more fun for all
yeah the tt01 are very simplistic but from what I can gather rather durable, are the zeros as durable if so that would be an easy choice but im guessing they would break parts a lot more, but I just don't know as I have not owned either.
just for background I currently have mini revos that I do kids bday parties and fairs etc with. check rcracedays.com.au they are pretty durable with rpm upgrades and other things but still takes a lot of maintenance.
just trying to find the best bang for buck to give people the best rc experience without charging an arm and a leg.

cheers for the help
mark
Old 05-17-2013, 04:08 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the tamiya TL-01 is just as tough as the TT-01
not sure which is more $

can you get redcats there?
Redcat lightning epx is durable. Over here they are as low as $130 shipped RTR/battery.
Ive had the brushless epx pro version. even tho its much faster, I rarely broke parts. plastic parts have alot of flex and give to them.
even RTR, they are pretty cheap(compared to tamiyas). Stock nimh batteries are not that great (short runtimes) and the stock ESC/motor are very basic. Tho, not much more basic than what comes in a TT-01.
There is a version with a basic touring car body, and a version with a nascar looking body.
If I was gonna do what you are going, Id get the lighting. low cost of buying the models themselves leaves more money for spare parts / batteries ect.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:24 AM
ToraKitsu

im starting an indoor race/fun rc night at a local indoor sports centre. approx. 35m x35 metres area with elevated driving area the surface is very short synthetic grass like carpet almost. im looking to rent 10 or so cars and want a durable car to do this with, but obviously the better they perform the more fun for all
yeah the tt01 are very simplistic but from what I can gather rather durable, are the zeros as durable if so that would be an easy choice but im guessing they would break parts a lot more, but I just don't know as I have not owned either.
just for background I currently have mini revos that I do kids bday parties and fairs etc with. check rcracedays.com.au they are pretty durable with rpm upgrades and other things but still takes a lot of maintenance.
just trying to find the best bang for buck to give people the best rc experience without charging an arm and a leg.

cheers for the help
mark
Then stick with the Sakura. While both the Zero and TT01 will have certain amount of durability, the sakura will cost you less to repair. The TT01 has been around a while, and is Tamiya's lower-end standard, but they ask too much for their replacement parts, in comparison to 3Racing. I'm looking at the belt vs. shaft argument. While shaft has it's attractions, belt drive is more efficient, quieter, and doesn't wear out, like bevel gears in the shaft system will.If the surface is relatively clean, (as you say, carpet), then the belt drive Sakura would be a great choice. Keeping stock on parts for replacement will be less of an impact on the profit margin, also. I'd still go Sakura.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:59 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: ToraKitsu

cheers for the help
mark
Then stick with the Sakura. While both the Zero and TT01 will have certain amount of durability, the sakura will cost you less to repair. The TT01 has been around a while, and is Tamiya's lower-end standard, but they ask too much for their replacement parts, in comparison to 3Racing. I'm looking at the belt vs. shaft argument. While shaft has it's attractions, belt drive is more efficient, quieter, and doesn't wear out, like bevel gears in the shaft system will.If the surface is relatively clean, (as you say, carpet), then the belt drive Sakura would be a great choice. Keeping stock on parts for replacement will be less of an impact on the profit margin, also. I'd still go Sakura.
IMO shaft drive is more efficient and wont wear out easy. Belts stretch, need adjustements over time. bevel gears hold up very well.
I agree that going with a model that has low cost replacemetn parts makes sense.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:10 PM
itsfishi

interesting points, what do you think is the more durable car ie will break less, don't forget they will be getting hammered . I love the idea of sakura but they do seem like they would break more.

whatever car I go with I will most probably be importing it. still cheaper than sourcing locally. parts availability is an issue. can get Tamiya nearly anywhere.

cheers for the input keep it coming

mark
Old 05-17-2013, 06:03 PM
ToraKitsu

You're also asking these Q's at another forum, yes? After seeing what you're asking about, and what they're to be used for, the TT01's would most probably be the better choice. It's true that parts will be available for Tamiya than 3Racing, and considering where you're located, you shouldn't actually have problems obtaining either, but Tamiya just makes sense when factored into rental stock.As an aside, the question about M05's came up, and if you are seriously interested in renting those, as well (what a GREAT idea!), Staying exclusively with Tamiya makes the most sense. I certainly hope you mull over getting M05's too! They are fun little machines (I have a few, myself!) when outfitted with Tamiya's stock-spec ESC/motor combo, and could very well be your best-renting class!
Old 05-17-2013, 07:38 PM
itsfishi

your onto me, im asking q's all over the place, gotta do your homework. yeah the mo5's are very cool. I have actually borrowed one from a friend to check out, just gotta put a motor and esc in it, its great to get your opinion on them.
thanks
mark
Old 05-20-2013, 07:32 AM
cenracer1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should also give a look at the HPI Sprint 2 or if you want a little less the E10 as well. I love the Spint 2 and its not really expensive. Not sure what they are in Australia, but pretty reasonable here. The E10 is even less, but the design isn't as good for racing, but good for bashing. I own a couple of TT01's and while I like them for play, I don't feel the Tamiya plastic parts will hold up to repeated bashing that you are going to give them. They use a hard plastic that has a tendency to snap when other cars will just keep on driving. Sure you can upgrade them to make them more durable, but thats just going to cost you more money. As for the Sakura.. Never heard of them so I can't help you there..
Old 05-22-2013, 12:43 AM
itsfishi

thanks cenracer I will look into them, lots of people have been telling me how durable the tt01 is, so its good to hear your points about the plastic, how do you feel about the belt v shaft argument.

anyone else got the tto1 and something else to compare it with durability wise

cheers

mark
Old 05-22-2013, 06:02 AM
The Mad Modder

If these are going to be rentals, I'd go with shaft drive. If it was for you, belt would be fine, but with a rental car, you can bet that there will be people who drive it like they stole it. I think the tt01 would be a good choice because of it's good durability. The e10 is a little on the fragile side.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:06 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

given the choices the OP has availible to him, Id choose the TT01.
If redcat were an option, Id go with that. The plastics are very flexable and dont break easy on the lightning epx. stock electronics are not great, but same is true of the tt-01 that costs $100 more.

Id go shaft drive for a rental car. belts are better for racing, but all it takes is one person hitting the wall with the throttle wide open to snap a belt. and even if the customers were resonable in how they drive them, belts still require adjustments overtime. You dont want to have to work on every rental car just making adjustments.

shaft drive for sure.

I wouldnt touch the e10 with a 10 foot pole. I had one and felt it was a very poor example of a hobbygrade car. plastics felt cheap, motor mount was a piece of crap, center shaft was plastic (really, why? they should be alloy IMO) I didnt like anything about that chassis.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:19 PM
itsfishi

I agree the redact looks very durable and the price is great but downside is the parts availability. I see your a redcat dealer, do you know if there is any sort of 10-15 car and parts package available.
I would think it would be good for a company to offer such a deal just to get there product into the noobs face.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:15 AM
ozzy9039
My Feedback: (6)

May I recommend the Associated Apex? I run at a mainly Tamiya track... with a few of us running Associated & a few with HPI's. The Tamiya's I think are good cars & durable, but right out of the box (unless you drop some $$) they come bottom line for the money imho. What I do not like mainly is the corner cutting of not having bearings in wheels or tranny in some cases. Bushings.... & even worst, plastic bushings, should not be an option. That being said, they are made for the track, so keep that in mind... they are good track cars with lots and lots of availability for parts, so not a bad decision. HPI falls under some of these corner cuts too.

When it comes to belt or shaft driven? .... well,... I prefer shaft for the maintenance reasons. Less maintenance = more play time.

I am going to throw some Thunder Tiger out there too.... these seem to run real nice too. They have one that is rear wheel drive (single belt) which is fun to drive. They seem durable & their price is right. Tower seems to carry plenty of their parts as well. Just another option.

I hope this helps & keep in mind, I am not bashing any car make, just giving some opinions. It comes down to what & how you like to drive. Have fun.
Old 05-30-2013, 04:54 AM
qatmix

We also rent cars at our club and we use TT01's

They run with 13.5t motors and they are kit std (although they have bearings fitted). We run them with different throttle end points depending on the experience of the Driver.

They are invincible cars, you wouldn't believe the abuse they take and they just keep going, we tried several other makes (Sakura, HPI and they were all very delicate compared to the tt01)

The TT02 is now also out and its much improved, but still has the strength of the TT01. I posted a build thread earlier that I did in my Blog. I would honestly say get a TT02 and try it out. Nothing really comes close for the purpose you mentioned.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:17 AM
itsfishi

thank you all so much for the great in put, Tamiya tt01e or tt02 or tt01d type e with rubber, for a few dollars more includes bearings and upgraded shocks etc

qatmix just read your build blog, very helpful. when you say the tt01 do you mean the tt01 or tt01e cheers.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:29 PM
qatmix

When I refer to the tt01 I'm inclunding the Type E as well. It did have some better bits than the tt01 but the TT02 is much better.

I raced mine against a load of other guys at my local club

http://www.thercracer.com/2013/06/tt...ce-report.html

It went really well and the new drive train is great, infant after running with brushless I don't think you need an alum propshaft.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:43 PM
itsfishi

Thanks for clearing that up. yep already read your latest report thanks. although the Ferrari body is great it would be nice if some more bodies had been released with it and looks like bearings then shocks would be the 1st upgrades if the drive shaft is ok.
another question for you is what tx are they using on the rentals at your club.
cheers
mark
Old 06-05-2013, 09:08 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TT01e is a pretty good onroad.
It has a plastic prop shaft, but honestly its tough as hell as mine stands up to brushless power with no issue(4300kv 35A motor on 2S).
Only issue I've had was finding lipos to fit, but Hobby king has a 2S that fit with a little tinkering(putting in a longer screw to the battery hold down)

The HPI E10 is a very bad joke all around. I had its sibling the EB10, and that sucker broke 2 chassis's JUST from the stock motors torque pulling on the motor mount driving on paved ground had a total of 5 minutes run time, and over an hour put into repairing it before I literally threw it into the garbage...
Old 06-23-2013, 01:57 PM
qatmix

We use cheap fly sky 2.4 sets or old caroms 27mhz for those who use sticks (we are in the uk and 90 % use sticks)

Bearings are good to have, the friction shocks are fine for smooth inroad action.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:36 PM
Carloss9400

I would suggest Tamiya tt02