Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Real AMPs on ESC / Ratings

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 01:36 AM
essebibi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Real AMPs on ESC / Ratings

Hi there,
I have a question about ESC ratings.
The new 1:10 ESCs (i.e. Hobbywing XR10 PRO) have an AMP rating of 160A/1200A (continuous/peak).

There is something I don't understand. How can 1200A flow through 12AWG cables? Even 160A looks like impossible to me.
Am I missing something about measure units or something? If we compare the figures to a real car and its battery, it's a non-sense.

Can somebody explain me something more? I searched through various forums, but with no results.

Many thanks!
Old 02-15-2019, 10:53 PM
[email protected]

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are not the only one to wonder about the battery/ESC/motor amp ratings we read about and am waiting to see what answers you get. I flew in the AF my first life, when all military airplanes had 24 volt systems and am well familiar with the size of the wires coming from the engine driven generators and in the systems that used a lot of power; like flap motors. Plus I go back in he R/C industry to the days of Orbit and Kraft, and know the liberties that have been taken with servo torque ratings and other advertised figures.
I have no experience, and less interest in electric powered R/C, and my bench full of electronic test equipment is not equipment to make those high amperage readings, but I agree, if you are going to run 160 amps through 12 gauge wire, I don't want to be holding it when you throw the switch.. Is there a burn rating higher than 3rd degree?
Let's see what the "experts" tell us...….