Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Losi Drift-R

Old 09-06-2007, 07:17 PM
AdioKIP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losi Drift-R

I'm ready to start on my next rc project and dont feel like dealing with the hassle of nitro this time. My first thoughts were to do an electric stadium truck but when I went to my LHS they had alot more on-road cars in stock. One of them they had just got in is the Losi Drift-R. They told me about it and kinda peaked my interest. I've searched but can't seem to find much information on the car. Haven't found any reviews for it or any posts about it. Anyone have any information that can help me decide if its worth the $370 investment. If I do get it I would eventually go brushless with it...
Old 09-06-2007, 08:01 PM
x2o

Default RE: Losi Drift-R

its a drift car, so unless you plan on drifting you should go with another kit. What's your price range and what do you plan on doing?
Old 09-06-2007, 08:22 PM
AdioKIP

LOL, yeah I kinda figured it was a drift car. As far as what I'm going to do I'm not sure. I already have a nitro rustler that I have completely rebuilt (full aluminum, 3.3 engine, etc. etc.). Got tired of the hassle of nitro and was bored so was gonna do an electric. As far as what I was gonna do, dont have anything set in mind. I'll definitely be doing some on-road since electrics are quiet enough that I can run in m apartment complex, but not sure if I want strictly on-road or on and off...basically I just want something I can have fun with. I just started another thread, considering putting some money into an old electric buggy I have but am still open to another vehicle. Price range would be around up to $500...
Old 09-06-2007, 09:05 PM
x2o

Not to sure about a kit that can do both on and off road, but as for on-road, here are some nice options

Factory Team TC5 (Associated) - $349.99
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXRJK2&P=ML

Tamiya TA-05R - $259.99
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRLB6&P=7

Or, you can get an entry level tamiya kit (TA-05 or TT-01) and upgrade it yourself, might be more fun, but depends on what you want to do

Tamiya TA-05 - $159.99
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKSG5&P=7

Tamiya TT-01 - $134.99
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMVP2&P=7

Tamiya TT-01R - $139.99
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKSG3&P=7

Heres wjhat I suggest, wait for a couple more replies. I'll be here so post any other questions . I recommend one of the first 2 options for best performance though it comes at a premium price
Old 09-06-2007, 11:07 PM
Mif

I would go with the Factory Team TC5. Great car, plenty of hop ups, and is a good classed car if you star racing at a LHS. My LHS has races twice a week, and a good 90% of all the guys are running the TC5.

Pair that with a good quality battery and a Novak GTB and brushless, and you have a killer car.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:28 AM
AdioKIP

Thanks for the responses. Still debating on what I want to do. Still can't find much information on the Drift-R to see if its a good car. I'm considering fixing up a 4wd buggy I have and turning it into an onroad/drifter car. I appreciate the recommendations, the buggy I have is tamiya but honestly I dont think I would buy another tamiya as parts seem to be hard to find. I had been out of the hobby for about 10 years, got back into it last year and one of the biggest changes I"ve seen is how much tamiya has fallen off, they use to be one of the top brands but now its all Traxxas, Associated, Team Losi, Duratrax.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:43 AM
The Hedgehog

ORIGINAL: AdioKIP
last year and one of the biggest changes I"ve seen is how much tamiya has fallen off, they use to be one of the top brands but now its all Traxxas, Associated, Team Losi, Duratrax.
Not true they are still the best selling r/c car companty out there... just local hobby shops don't tend to stock them. Just look at Tower Hobbies and how much they have or www.tamiyausa.com

What buggy to you have?
Old 09-07-2007, 11:44 AM
Vic Nyce

the drift-r is a XXXS with "drift" parts on it. that said, my XXXS is a very solid platform. the enclosed single belt drivetrain is very durable and puts up well with the abuse and neglect i serve up lol. going back to the drift-r, at $370.00 bucks + shippping it sure is pricey. if i had $400 bucks to spend on a drift car, i'd be scouring ebay for a MR4TC, TA05, TC3, or TC4. there are deals to be had my friend. on rctech.net classifieds, someone is selling a FT TC4 with some spare parts for $155.00 if i didnt already have one, i would have snapped that up already.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:47 PM
AdioKIP

Right now I have a Tamiya Rising Storm (DF-02) Chasis...