Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Electric motor break-in

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 07:24 PM
nitrorcjunkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric motor break-in

Since Traxxas introduced the new E-Maxx today, the subject came up about waterproof electronics, etc. A poster on the monster truck forum mentioned that some people break in electric motors by running them submerged in water. Would anyone who knows about this please elaborate? Is it for load purposes or cooling? What are the benefits? Thanks.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:17 PM
Access

Default RE: Electric motor break-in

I was told this practice originates from Taiwan and China and is linked to ancient chinese thought. According to the principle of "Wu Xing" the water is absorbed into the metal and thereafter, for a period of time, will generally make the motor run smoother and cooler. The same concepts are used in the ancient arts of chinese medicine and feng shui. Wu Xing teaches that there are five natural elements and each one has two basic interactions, metal is spawned from earth, and metal absorbs water.

I remember a trip to the ROC (Taiwan) a few years ago where a racer was describing the whole water thing to me and how a local shop would sell different types of water depending on the property you wanted to instill in your motor ('powerful', 'soft', etc.) He also seemed very interested in the placement of the receiver, battery, ESC, and everything else in his car to ensure it was aligned with the principles of feng shui.

While this has not been scientifically proven, and it is hard to scientifically prove (irreversible, testing will change performance, no two motors are the same -- a true double blind trial is not feasible), racers can be highly superstitious and techniques can be based more on folklore and regional beliefs rather than experimentation, sound science, or an understanding of physics and technology. That a racer uses these methods and they make him score better, it could well be the placebo effect depending on a racer's psyche.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:22 PM
nickd

its also used tp help break in a motor by adding some resistance to the motor and to continously wash away the brush dust when seating your motor brushes to the communicator (look it up)
Old 10-18-2007, 10:20 PM
Mekong

ORIGINAL: Access

I was told this practice originates from Taiwan and China and is linked to ancient chinese thought. According to the principle of "Wu Xing" the water is absorbed into the metal and thereafter, for a period of time, will generally make the motor run smoother and cooler. The same concepts are used in the ancient arts of chinese medicine and feng shui. Wu Xing teaches that there are five natural elements and each one has two basic interactions, metal is spawned from earth, and metal absorbs water.

I remember a trip to the ROC (Taiwan) a few years ago where a racer was describing the whole water thing to me and how a local shop would sell different types of water depending on the property you wanted to instill in your motor ('powerful', 'soft', etc.) He also seemed very interested in the placement of the receiver, battery, ESC, and everything else in his car to ensure it was aligned with the principles of feng shui.
LOL
Old 10-19-2007, 01:02 PM
nitrorcjunkie

WuXing or not, I'm not gonna dunk my Mamba in water.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:16 PM
flaminheli

This procedure is only recommended for brushed motors, I have never heard of anyone dunking a brushless and don't see what the purpose would be. So no don't use this for your mamba.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:13 PM
TIGER76

lmao @ access post
Old 10-19-2007, 03:15 PM
The Hedgehog

Yeah no way for brushless you will ruin it!!!
Old 10-20-2007, 02:31 AM
nativepaul

The water insulates the comm, from the brushes causing microscopic sparks as the insulation is breached, this works like a spark erosion lathe cutting the brushes down where they make "contact"(or would make contact if they weren't in water).

As long as you use low voltage, dry the Mamba well and re-oil the bearings just like you have to with a brushed motor, it won't harm the Mamba at all, but it is completely pointless for BL motors
Old 10-20-2007, 07:40 AM
Access

Also check your local track's rules if you intend to race, if I remember correctly at one time this was (maybe still is) against ROAR's racing rules especially in the stock or the handout motor classes.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:36 PM
Raguvian

Crap, I should've done this to my Orion motor before running it.
Is it too late to do so?