Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

BRUSHLESS & LIPO CRAZE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 08:05 PM
ty2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BRUSHLESS & LIPO CRAZE!!!

Hey gus i have reading alot of these post's and i wana know whats with all the brushless & lipo stuff! now i dont have anything against them but i just hav'nt been converted yet. i mean am just not convinced of there advantages, i run both on and off road and to me i dont see the the advantage of running BL / LIPO yet and here is why, say i run in the stock sedan class i dont see the point of running a 13.5 BL motor & lipo set up opposed to a brushed CO27 & IB4200 set up, it would be different if we ran 10min. heats and we were struggleing to make run time with the brushed stock motors & 4200's, but we don't run 10min we run 4-5 & we're not struggling to make run time! even in the 19t & mod class with 4-6 min heats run time is not a problem, so where is the avantage's here... I have run 6-7 & 8 turn motors in my 4wd and it was just as quick if not quicker than the ONLY guy at the track running novak velocity 3.5 & lipo! so once again what is the benefit guys??
Old 01-29-2008, 08:15 PM
RURC

Default RE: BRUSHLESS & LIPO CRAZE!!!

If you have to ask you would not understand
Old 01-29-2008, 08:26 PM
ty2000

then explain it to me im sure someone with your level of experience & intelligance could explain it to a laymen like myself so let's hear it!
Old 01-29-2008, 08:51 PM
droppedgmc
My Feedback: (18)

i just recently switched to bl myself. not lipo yet. the advantage of a bl system is 1, hardly no maintenence at all. 2, lots of power. 3, longer run times. im using ni-mh batteries now with the bl and it works very well. i can usaully run 5-10 min longer with the bl compared to the brushed. using lipo batteries will help keep the max amount of power almost all the way till the end of a run with not as much drop off as a ni-mh. hope this helps. some people don't like to take the time to answer, just post w-h-o-r-e
Old 01-29-2008, 09:04 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 63 Likes on 59 Posts

its more run time and less maintenance. plus its something new that not everyone has yet. that's all it is
Old 01-29-2008, 09:09 PM
ty2000

ok so if i just used the stock equilavent novak 13.5 BL instead of the CO27 stock motor is there gona be a noticeable difference in power & speed im not as concerned with runtime races only last a few min. and if i used the novak 13.5 & the lipo it would make even more power & speed?
Old 01-29-2008, 09:21 PM
suburban_hooligan

im not sure what the comparisons are (turns VS what ever). but im not convinced of any extra speed or power if it where compared to an equal brushed motor. i do know that it does give a noticeable increase in run time when compared to mostly the lower turn mod motors
Old 01-29-2008, 10:48 PM
droppedgmc
My Feedback: (18)

i run a 10.5=19t...13.5=27t. that 21.5 is a crawler motor
Old 01-30-2008, 12:51 AM
team green

I switched to brushless and lipo because I run multiple classes plus my son also races. So it was just easier for me. I don't have to cut motors, discharge batteries. All I have to worry about is set-up.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:04 AM
RURC

First of all you WILL see a difference. Look the mah rateing on lipo is not like nickle batteries. The rateing on nickle batteries is a rateing till dead, basically 0.0 vdc. The rateing on lipo is is rated to the point that the voltage per cell goes to about 2.9 vdc. There fore you will get faster car completely through the run time even more so toward the end. Also the starting voltage is higher than a 6 cell nickle pack. So you get slightly more rpm (rpm is relative to volts) just from the get go. Next lipo has a much higher voltage stability under drain then any nickle battery. This means that when you hit the throttle the voltage will not drop anywhere near the point that nickle batteries will. Lipos can continously provide 2 or more times the amperage then any nickle battery. This also means better voltage stability and higher voltage holding.

Now on brushless to start with they will provide more torque then brushed motors given the same power source and permaters. Also they are more efficient which means that at the end of your race you will have a higher voltage level thus giving you more rpm then the brushed motor that has depleated more energy from its power source.

These are not opinions they are facts. If you read anything you should have heard most of this by now. I have given no less than 50 white sheets on these subjects. Now if you whish to stay with your nickle batteries and your brushed motor that is fine. I know that you will not be dissappionted if you make the switch. You will spend more time on the track and less time tweeking and fixing your car.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:06 AM
RURC

ORIGINAL: st_dragn_wagen

its more run time and less maintenance. plus its something new that not everyone has yet. that's all it is
WRONG
Old 01-30-2008, 01:05 PM
ty2000

See RCRU i get it now and all it took was a little explaining from someone who really knows! and now i understand the advantages of running a brushless / lipo setup! i wont say im totally converted but i will go out and buy a velocity system and and a couple lipo packs and try it out based on what you just said!
Old 01-30-2008, 01:16 PM
RURC

Sorry I was kind of short. I think I will approach the RCUniverse powers that be to see if they would like a in depth page on exactly what lipo and brushless are up to and where they are going.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:51 PM
ty2000

that would be good because im sure lots of guys dont REALLY understand the facts about brushless/lipo other than longer run times
Old 01-30-2008, 02:16 PM
Access

Yeah we need for FAQ's and white papers in general rather than the same newbie threads over and over.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:27 PM
suburban_hooligan

ORIGINAL: RURC

WRONG
elaborate on that. cause the 2 guys i know with brushless seem to do a lot less maintenance then i do with my brushed set up. for example when we run in the baseball fields i have to spray the motor out about every second or third battery because i notice a drop in performance. they have no noticeable drop, and only bolow there motors out with compressed air at end of the day (probably not the 100% right way of doing it, but it works for them). occasionally ill have to true a com and they don't, i have to change out brushes and they don't.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:03 PM
RURC

You said that "THAT"S ALL". Well that makes the statement in total wrong. You hit the simple ones and that is all. Please read my above post and realize that those are just a few of the diferences. Just to prove the point you did not even go to the less weight. And there are many more.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:42 PM
ty2000

friday im ordering one of these and for my first brushless set up and im gona add a novak velocity 13.5 setup to it
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92987.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	865471  
Old 01-30-2008, 06:28 PM
suburban_hooligan

You said that "THAT"S ALL". Well that makes the statement in total wrong. You hit the simple ones and that is all. Please read my above post and realize that those are just a few of the diferences. Just to prove the point you did not even go to the less weight. And there are many more.
so im right, just not with as mutch detail as you'd like. i pointed out the two ingredients that everyone seems to focus on, think of it as a highlight reel, quick and to the point.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:29 PM
RURC

so im right, just not with as mutch detail as you'd like. i pointed out the two ingredients that everyone seems to focus on, think of it as a highlight reel, quick and to the point.
Say as you will. In my profession if you cannot give all information you are wrong.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:02 PM
suburban_hooligan

what the hell profession are you in? rocket science?
Old 01-30-2008, 11:32 PM
PSXBatou

I use BL and LiPo on my helis, but I still use my trusty Tekin G11 Pro and a good solid "stock" motor along with some good 6 cells NiMH batteries on my cars and buggy. I don't mind the extra maintenance, and the extra run time while great isn't worth the extra money to me. I don't race anymore so if I am at the track it is just for fun to practice, but a lot of times you will just find me in a parking lot or between heli flights when I use my cars.

For racing I can see the advantages, you have skilled individuals that know the care LiPo needs to be handled with. For the average consumer LiPo is a expensive and possibly dangerous solution with little gain for someone that is racing casually or just car park bashing.

Brushed motors while not being all the hype anymore are still solid motors that are very capable.

my $0.02
Old 01-31-2008, 07:29 AM
RURC

Close. I don't design the rockets just design and build the equipment to make them and things of that nature. We also do prototype and one off airplanes and aerospace composite components.

But in this case when you are describing the difference for one thing vs. another the simple answer is not always the best or correct answer. Your answers are complete generalizations that do not say anything except this is better and that is it. Just because everyone focuses on 1 or 2 sections of a whole dose not mean that they have a grasp of the complete concept. For me if the answer is incomplete is is not right, it is like telling a half truth. Just ask my son and wife I drive them crazy at times.

The real problem I have with your statement is the way you ended it, "THAT'S ALL". Like there is nothing else, no need to discuss, if you think there is more you are wrong. You made it so final and that makes your statement wrong, because it is not ALL. If you would have left that off then I would have just elaborated on where you had not gone.

Life lesson here, don't make things a finality unless you know without doubt that that is the case.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:21 AM
The Hedgehog

From an outside perspective, it seems that all you guys (except RURC) are afraid of change. Brushless is better than brushed in ALL ways except for the $$$.

Now I do not understand why car guys are so hesitant to go brushless and lipo, you are hard pressed to find a brushed or even NiMH battery on an aircraft for that matter!

I hate mod motors because you have to cut the comms every couple of runs to have it running like when you got it originally.

Ya know we are comparing brushless versus brushed, and some of you people are saying the performance gains are not worth it, why don't you just run TT-01's at the track instead of spending the extra money for brushless. Hope you get my point.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:16 AM
TheTruckingGuru

I run both but I prefer Brushless for bashing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.