Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

The Official Tamiya TA05 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 04:01 PM
rcluke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Official Tamiya TA05 Thread

this thread is to talk about any TA-05, weather you are an owner or not, feel free to post any pics you have.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:03 PM
mrmedina8
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: The Official Tamiya TA05 Thread

I purchased a TA05 kit on Tuesday and should have it tomorrow! I'll post some pics when i get it.

Post up your pics and setups so I can get some ideas on what kind of hop-ups I want to order.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:26 PM
Kregger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Post up your pics and setups so I can get some ideas on what kind of hop-ups I want to order.
I guess that would depend on what you are doing with it.

I race mine (rubber tire) and its a good car, very durable. Took me forever to figure it out though.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:06 PM
thaphillips

ORIGINAL: Kregger

I race mine (rubber tire) and its a good car, very durable. Took me forever to figure it out though.
Figure out how to set it up, or how to drive it?
Old 02-21-2008, 11:08 PM
thaphillips

This was the last photo I took. It's been awhile since I have taken any pix of my TA05.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:20 AM
hashiriya

Old pic of my TA05MS. No new pics here either.

This is one of the bodies I had on my normal TA05 before it got sold to make room for the TA05MS.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:08 AM
rcluke

you guys have got some nice TA-05's.

i bought mine used, well it actually hadn't been run, just assembled.

the hop-ups i know about on it, are alloy C hubs, and alloy front knuckle arms.

my TA-05 will be my new race car, as i am planning on racing other modified saloons.

i will post some pics later
Old 02-22-2008, 07:43 AM
rcluke

what do you guys think the best shocks for my TA-05 would be?,

i was going to keep the standard tamiya CVA's, but i looked at them, and after the 2nd use, they are pi**ing out oil
Old 02-22-2008, 07:50 AM
rcluke

here is my TA-05, it has custom body posts, aluminium steering bits, sway bars, an aluminium bit on the back.

i run a LRP ESC, with a Team Checkpoint Money motor.

i also run foam tyres, 32mm wide on the rear, and 26mm on the front (i think)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82316.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	885457   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13952.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	885458   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lr39148.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	885459   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd86728.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	885460   Click image for larger version

Name:	Al72459.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	885461  
Old 02-22-2008, 07:54 AM
rcluke

if anyone is interested, i have worked out the gear ratio's for the TA-05, with a 112T spur, and various pinions

Name:	Bz78619.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	885464  
Old 02-22-2008, 05:18 PM
kiki46

Hello, my son and I race TA05’s at our local track, mine is a TA05MS and my son has a TA05 with a 3 racing Carbon chassis, we are the only Tamiya runners in a sea of Schumacher’s. We are only racing 10 months but have already acquired quiet a selection of TA05’s including a TA05R that my son had before changing to the carbon chassis car and then I ran it before getting the MS. I love the whole technical side of RC racing and to that end have read tons of stuff relating to setup etc. but I still cant say I’m happy with the handling of my car, my son is only 11 and he just drives around any problems with handling. I know a lot of my problems are self inflicted as I try different things but maybe some of ye out there may suggest things for me to try.
We race at a couple of venues, our local track is in a school gym, it has a tarmac surface that is usually very dusty (football pitch beside it and the hall is used for changing) so its usually very slippery, we run stock 27 turn or 13.5 brushless the tyre of choice is Take Off cc27, the track has mostly tight corners with one long straight 20mtrs approx. The other tracks we run on are polished wooden floors on which we run Schumacher 20mm yellow Mini Pins, these tracks are very tight and technical. When I got the MS it came with a front one way, and I also fitted a one way to my sons for him to try we’ve done two events on wood and a couple on our local track and we struggled, one of the experienced drivers last weekend told us front one ways are a no no on wood and would say it wouldn’t suit our local track either. I’ve taken out the one ways and replaced them with standard ball diffs which we will try next Wed night. My latest settings are.. ride height- 5.5 front 5.0 rear. Droop front 2.5mm rear 3.0mm, front toe 1deg out, rear 3deg each side in. camber 1.75mm all round, Tamiya trf shocks three holes, Tamiya soft yellow springs and tamiya soft 400 shock oil, and soft black stabilizer bars front and back. I run a Orion pro stock co27 motor that I had a transmission ratio of 7.50 but I changed it for the last wooden floor event to 8.29 I’ve also been having motor problems, it started when I bought both motors for our cars and couldn’t get them to run right and eventually figured I had too low a gear ratio that was not allowing the motor to rev, but lately the problem seems to have come back, basically the motor “misses†or splutters, or stops mid rev for a split second this coupled to a one way on timber makes for a very unstable car to drive, one of the experienced drivers recons the brush springs are losing their tension and this gets worse as the motor heats up, I’ve ordered new springs, but last Wed night I ran with the springs bent to provide more pressure on the brushes but it still didn’t run right. This is a long first post and I hope somebody out there can suggest some things for us to try, so we can prove that our beloved Tamiya’s are a force to be reckoned with, thanks in advance for any replies, Kiki.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:30 PM
mkoresh12

Here are a few pics of my TA05. The cadillac body is a little beat after a season of racing. The TA05 performed very well considering I was up against xrays and TC5s. I didn't have the brushless during the season so I'm hoping to catch those guys this year.

Name:	Xv64040.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	885898   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54812.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	885899   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79481.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	885900   Click image for larger version

Name:	Un33895.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	885901  
Old 02-22-2008, 10:14 PM
thaphillips

Do you have a capacitor on your ESC?

My setup's improved greatley when I started using a setup station instead of trying to just eyeball adjustments. Sounds like you are using a set up station already.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:47 AM
mrmedina8
My Feedback: (3)

Well I got my TA05 in today and I'm beginning the build, seems like these parts are made with quality in mind! I'll post pics as soon as I'm done.

If anyone wants to trade a new body for my Arta NSX body let me know.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:45 AM
rcluke

ORIGINAL: kiki46

Hello, my son and I race TA05’s at our local track, mine is a TA05MS and my son has a TA05 with a 3 racing Carbon chassis, we are the only Tamiya runners in a sea of Schumacher’s. We are only racing 10 months but have already acquired quiet a selection of TA05’s including a TA05R that my son had before changing to the carbon chassis car and then I ran it before getting the MS. I love the whole technical side of RC racing and to that end have read tons of stuff relating to setup etc. but I still cant say I’m happy with the handling of my car, my son is only 11 and he just drives around any problems with handling. I know a lot of my problems are self inflicted as I try different things but maybe some of ye out there may suggest things for me to try.
We race at a couple of venues, our local track is in a school gym, it has a tarmac surface that is usually very dusty (football pitch beside it and the hall is used for changing) so its usually very slippery, we run stock 27 turn or 13.5 brushless the tyre of choice is Take Off cc27, the track has mostly tight corners with one long straight 20mtrs approx. The other tracks we run on are polished wooden floors on which we run Schumacher 20mm yellow Mini Pins, these tracks are very tight and technical. When I got the MS it came with a front one way, and I also fitted a one way to my sons for him to try we’ve done two events on wood and a couple on our local track and we struggled, one of the experienced drivers last weekend told us front one ways are a no no on wood and would say it wouldn’t suit our local track either. I’ve taken out the one ways and replaced them with standard ball diffs which we will try next Wed night. My latest settings are.. ride height- 5.5 front 5.0 rear. Droop front 2.5mm rear 3.0mm, front toe 1deg out, rear 3deg each side in. camber 1.75mm all round, Tamiya trf shocks three holes, Tamiya soft yellow springs and tamiya soft 400 shock oil, and soft black stabilizer bars front and back. I run a Orion pro stock co27 motor that I had a transmission ratio of 7.50 but I changed it for the last wooden floor event to 8.29 I’ve also been having motor problems, it started when I bought both motors for our cars and couldn’t get them to run right and eventually figured I had too low a gear ratio that was not allowing the motor to rev, but lately the problem seems to have come back, basically the motor “misses†or splutters, or stops mid rev for a split second this coupled to a one way on timber makes for a very unstable car to drive, one of the experienced drivers recons the brush springs are losing their tension and this gets worse as the motor heats up, I’ve ordered new springs, but last Wed night I ran with the springs bent to provide more pressure on the brushes but it still didn’t run right. This is a long first post and I hope somebody out there can suggest some things for us to try, so we can prove that our beloved Tamiya’s are a force to be reckoned with, thanks in advance for any replies, Kiki.
hi mate, have you ever had your motor skimmed?, and new brushes fitted?

that should solve your motor problem
Old 02-23-2008, 04:56 AM
kiki46

Yea I have cut my com on a lathe and fitted new brushes and the motor ran ok for about 5 0r 6 5min races before starting to act up again. As far as I know the Orion is already fitted with capacitors, I have a Hudy setup station and I have a Tweak ststion on the way. Kiki.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:57 AM
rcluke

Yea I have cut my com on a lathe and fitted new brushes and the motor ran ok for about 5 0r 6 5min races before starting to act up again. As far as I know the Orion is already fitted with capacitors, I have a Hudy setup station and I have a Tweak ststion on the way. Kiki.
are you sure it is the motor?, not the speedo or anything?
Old 02-23-2008, 07:28 AM
rcluke

lol, this is great

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgLzhZFHxfo
Old 02-23-2008, 08:37 AM
kiki46

I swapped the speed controler and the problem was still there.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:13 AM
rcluke

you said after you skimmed it, it was fine for 5 races?

if so, skim it every 5 races, until the comm gets too worn
Old 02-23-2008, 09:41 AM
thaphillips

Now swap the motor and see if the problem is still there.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:06 AM
Kregger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: thaphillips

ORIGINAL: Kregger

Figure out how to set it up, or how to drive it?
Figure out how to set it up. I'm really the only one who drives it by where I am, so everything was pretty much trial and error.
As for setup. I'm running the TRF shock (hightly recommend), 0 degree of toe in in front, stock settin in back. 2 deg. of camber all around. yellow tamiya springs all around, sometimes I'll run x-ray whites when the traction comes up. 5 mil of ride height and I 1.5 mil of droop. shocks are on the furtherest setting on the arms and one away from the inside hole on the front shock tower (can't remember the rear(I think its two)). I'm running a oneway as well. By the way this is all with the stock TA-05 suspension.
I am running Jaco Greens.

As for hop-ups the only ones I feel worth mentioning are:

The carbon tub chasis
aluminum bulkheads
TRF shocks
One-way.

I have other hop-ups on it but I feel those are the ones that make a difference on the car.
the TA-05R wans't out when I bought mine (for those who were wondering)
Old 02-23-2008, 10:26 AM
rcluke

i could probably do with some new shocks for my TA-05, because mine are pis*ing out oil, what should i get?
Old 02-23-2008, 11:09 AM
mkoresh12

TRF shocks are great. I have a couple sets I keep with different shock oils so I can make a larger adjustment if needed. If your more on a budget the GPM or 3racing shocks look OK.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:27 AM
mkoresh12

Hey Kregger, How much of a difference does that carbon body make? I was thinking about getting this or the 3racing graphite conversion. I figure the cost would end up the same as I need a new engine mount and the 3racing chassis comes with one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.