Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

New Losi Speed T is out

Old 11-25-2008, 02:21 PM
jerybak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Losi Speed T is out

nope never melted the spaced and i have not trashed any more spur gears. any litho grease will do, i think i have some no name brand white stuff i got from the local hobby shop. i run the 3s packs. i run a FLIGHTPOWER EVOLITE-5350 3S 17c/28c discharge rates. I got it because of the weight, it is pretty lite, about 20% - 25% lighter than most other comparable batteries. I also run the SR3100 spectrum receivers, i wanted to keep the weight down and the speed up...lol like it matters, i could strap a brick this truck and it would still fly.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:17 AM
Rhizzlebop

What is Litho grease? I prob have some 3 in 1 oil. I may give a litttle of that a try on the spur.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:05 AM
jerybak

na just go to your local hobby shop and ask for some grease for your drive gears.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:02 PM
Rhizzlebop

Jery. I'm having another issue here. I'm getting to gear mesh right and the spring slipper tension right and I switched to some better dirt rear tires. However, today I went outside for a short run and after about 5 minutes it stopped driving forward. Somehow, the differential hear isn't driving the drive shaft cylinders. The punion is going, the spur is turning the idler in the transmission case turns and the white duff gear turns, but it don't drive the shaft cylinders.
Now I should add that I put the carbide balls in a few days ago so it wasn't a locked rearend.

I dunno rzactly how the duff works but its deff slipping now. Ice taken it apart and put it back together. The qhite hear part seems ok.

However let me say that somehow the tiny little ball bearings that are in one of those cylinders (its called the thrust bearing on the parts diagram). Well those duff balls are getting loose. One was where the carbide balls go when I took it apart and after I put it all back together and was about to reinstall it, one somehow escaped and fell out though it was fully reassembled at that time. Like the duff screw was tight and everything.

I don't get it but apparently something in there is worn or broken. Any thoughts. Can I go to a desert truck rearend. Ice heard its better. I just with I could tell what exactly has happened here.

Just an FYI. I'm typing this from my blackberry so sapme of the words might be off by a letter, I trust you can interpret what I'm saying. Thx
Old 11-29-2008, 11:01 PM
Rhizzlebop

Any ideas anyone? Can someone explain how the diff works and what might be broken and need replacing?

Is it correct that I can order a desert truck differential and put it right in or does that mean a whole desert truck transmission and other parts as well?
Old 12-01-2008, 09:34 AM
Rhizzlebop

I hope someone sees this post soon and can respond with some help.

Can I buy the desert truck gear diff and just run it in this car?

This ball diff obviously ddn't hold up, so if there is a better option out there, I'd assume go that route.

if I'm seeing correctly, this LOSA2930 Diff Set, Complete: DT should b all I need. ????
Old 12-01-2008, 10:49 PM
jerybak

not sure on the desert truck trans, i would say replace all guts of your Speed T trans, you should be able to do it for min cost and it sounds like you are expert on it by now as i am...lol. At any rate i would bet that you have trashed every tolerance on every component in that trans. With the kind of heat you are building up and the speed you are running I would say replace all guts.

I truly believe the only reason my trans is holding up now is because this is my 3rd speed T and the combination of all the little things i have done in the name of maintenance and the fact that I have adapted my driving style to the durability of the truck. So basically I learned on Losi's dime, and only now is the speed T fun to own and operate.

Again i don't know on the desert truck, but i would save my $$ for an all metal setup for the speed T, i must belive that some company with fab it up, too many folks have trashed rear ends on these, and they would be a perfect truck if you could run them a little harder.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:55 PM
BM1

The desert truck diff is not a direct swap. You need the entire gear case out of the desert truck to make it work.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:37 AM
jerybak

before i went to that trouble, has anyone tried the brushless system from the speed T or comp brushless systems in the desert truck to see how it holds up, again the desert truck's gear box is not designed to travel at these rpms / mph.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:46 AM
Rhizzlebop

Thanks jery and BMI.

I ordered the complete desert truck rearend and the trans case for it as well.

Jery, noone to my knowledge makes an all metal rear end for it. I wish they did.

BMI, I fixed that stripped motor screw thread. That motor actually has 6 equally spaced holes arounds its end that are all threaded, so I just took both motor mount screws out and rotated it one notch to a fresh set of holes.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:52 AM
Rhizzlebop

I think what bothers me most about the Speed T rearend (ball diff) failing on me, is that I can't figure out how it failed. I mean, I had it ALL apart on friday and it looked fine, except for one of the thrust bearings laying where the diff carbide balls go, but aside from that, it look like all the parts were ok and not broken.

BUT, when I put it back together, you can hold BOTH drive shanks and turn the actual diff gear, and hence, THAT is whats happening when its in the truck, the diff gear is being turned, but the wheels are just sitting there.

I guess I just don't have a good understanding of WHAT actually makes the diff gear pull the drive shanks, cause it doesn't look like anything would. It irks me cause I'm a mechanical engineer, I should understand that.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:56 AM
Rhizzlebop

I ordered that DT trans case, and the full gear diff for the DT and I'm gonna try it. I've heard also on another forum that it workes great in this truck and was very strong so hopefully I'm not making a bad call.

Question is, do I need any oil or grease for this rearend? I didn't order anything and don't have anything. All I have is that little tiny tube of diff lube that you put on the ball diff balls.

Thanks for any help.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:33 PM
Rhizzlebop

So yea, I need to use what oil or lube in the dt differential?

All I have is that Losi lube I bought for the ball differential. Its the small little clear tube, it seems like solicone in it. That be ok?
Old 12-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Rhizzlebop

(Insert curse word) I'm trying to put together the desert truck diff.

HOW the heck do they expect you to get that tiny metal shaft, through the drive nuckle hub, UP INSIDE the big gear housing??/?????//??

I barely got the first shaft in and it was readily accessible in plain view and access.

Please, someone help!!!
Old 12-11-2008, 09:33 PM
derrick_chi

Speed-T Bashing with a Rustler, cool vid, the Speed-T looks like it can take some punishment, the Rustler not so sure it broke in the first couple of minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNqAVJEVMUI
Old 12-20-2008, 11:11 PM
Rhizzlebop

I finally got my speed T running again today since it last ran on thanksgiving day. Parts issues and home improvement projects hindered me.

The desert truck rear end seemed to fit well, BUT the two top screws that hold the wheelie bar on, and screw down into the transmission case wont go in but about half way.

Its like they drilled those holes smaller for the DT than the screws that come with the ST for that. Weird. I just have them stuc in half way now but the wheelie bar is a tad loose. Its also held on by those two screws underneath the chassis.

Anyhow, it wa raining so I just did some very brief throttle hopping in the garage. No more crunching sound.

It would seem that the crunching i last heard was the ball diff dying, not the spur as i thought. This will be the first time I've run it with both motor screws tight as I initially stripped one when I first got it. So, hopefully, with the motor tight, and the DT gear diff and the slipper correct, maybe i'll get some good life from this spur.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:56 AM
pede_187

Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you know. My new Speed-T came with the White Diff gear. I guess thats the stronger one? I haven't ran it yet, just noticed when I took the transmission apart to put in the balls.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:23 PM
kavic5150

just ran my speed t straight thru a puddle[], now the ESC beeps, the ESC fan works on startup, and I have full steering control but no forward or reverse throttle response. I am waiting with my fingers crossed for it to fully dry. I suspect the auxilary piece to the ESC(capacitor maybe?) is fried but am not sure. I dont necessarily want to fork over another $125 or so for a new ESC. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 03-18-2009, 04:51 PM
pede_187

ORIGINAL: kavic5150

just ran my speed t straight thru a puddle[], now the ESC beeps, the ESC fan works on startup, and I have full steering control but no forward or reverse throttle response. I am waiting with my fingers crossed for it to fully dry. I suspect the auxilary piece to the ESC(capacitor maybe?) is fried but am not sure. I dont necessarily want to fork over another $125 or so for a new ESC. Anyone have any suggestions?
I've burned up my stock esc twice so this time I'm going to ask if I can get credited with Horizon Hobby cash instead of a new Xcelorin system and then I can just get a Novak Havoc 8.5 instead.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:04 PM
kavic5150

The luck of the irish holds true once again, my speed t works, but has the initial stutterings of eventual ESC death. Does novak make an ESC in blue? Already have the Losi clear body and have plans for LED headlights/taillights, and maybe even some laser LEDs for some cool night driving. And then maybe a camera system...
Old 04-26-2009, 10:45 PM
jtsimaras

Have the Speed T running a Mamab max with a 7700 kv motor-finding that i keep overheating the wires to battery and the battery. Think I might have to step back a few motors....
Old 11-22-2010, 08:25 PM
gwshaw71

Robinson racing makes some aluminum gears for the differential I kept blowing out the plastic diff I went to local hobby shop they matched it up with an all alluminum gears except the spur gear its made of kevlar. Going to rebuild it on saturday will let you know but with all metal gears the diff problem should go away.