Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

new to in door carpet what car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 02:35 PM
swisherteets
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to in door carpet what car?

I am new to indoor carpet racing (have been outdoor track racing for a bit now) and am looking for my first car and thinking that I will be going with a touring car I have been looking at the Associated TC3's and TC4's but am not sure if thats the way to go

any general direction and help would be awsome
Old 09-06-2008, 02:45 PM
Yaksaddle

Default RE: new to in door carpet what car?

you are on the right track (no pun intended!)

1) What does your local hobby shop stock? if your hobby store carries a full line of associated - Awesome! if they only carry Tamiya - well that should tell you what you need to know

2)I would reccomend a TC3 or TC4 highly! lots of options, readily available parts, lots of people to ask questions... as well as the Xray. I came from a nitro background to carpet, and my experience with belt drive has turned me off completely from belt drive - your mileage may vary.

3) whatever you get practice, practice, practice, then practice some more, the rinse and repeat. And have FUN!
Old 09-06-2008, 03:38 PM
wolfhobbies

Check out Team Magic's E4FS. This car was built specifically for carpet. www.wolfhobbies.com
Old 09-06-2008, 03:57 PM
swisherteets
My Feedback: (8)

I am pretty sure that the LHS stocks losi, traxxas ans associated (most of the guys at the carpet track un the tc3's and 4's I think)
Old 09-09-2008, 07:34 PM
Oasis TR

Personally I would not use a TC-3 or a TC-4, neither car is really competitive with the newer Xrays, Corallys or even the TC-5's..You can make the 4 work but it's still an up hill battle, biggest knock on the TC-3 is it breaks quite easily..I guess it depends on just how much money you wish to spend..I have owned a carpet track and right now I'm a race director for a carpet track..I ran a TC-4 so I do know whats up on this car..for some reason the set up for a TC-4 is way different than the set up for a TC-3..even though the cars are very similar, and what car should i use also depends on what class..foam or rubber..The graphite FT TC-4 did ok on foams but did not seem to do good on rubber tires..no matter what set up you used..I did get the Tub chassis TC-4 to work good on rubber tires but I was still 1 to 2 laps faster with my T2 Xray..and i was winning with the TC-4..it was i just put a lot of driving time in on both cars..I would say 16 to 25 hours a week in practice and working on set ups..The TC-4 on rubber tires really responds well to the Protoform Nemesis Body..not many guys use this body but if your running rubber tires on carpet it works better than any other body i've tried. Here's some photos of the track I'm helping run..

Old 09-09-2008, 10:26 PM
Yaksaddle

Gorgeous track! looks like the same set-up we use. Our track is pretty split between the TC3 and 4, and the HPI. Not many TC5's yet, Occasionally I will race either my HCR chassis, or the Diggity Designs.

Does your track have a set of rules or a website?

I just picked up my first X-ray, so far loving it.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:51 PM
Oasis TR

So far they are working on a web site for the RC Track..The city owns the track, they built the facility to bring more people to the downtown area..The photos show only about half the building and their is also a downstairs, plus theirs another building that's larger than the one the tracks in..did you notice all the big screens up on the wall..they play the RC Races on them live so they will be able to have a live feed on the Internet..they have over $200K in just the big screens..[X(]..i'm just helping them get started so we can have a place to race..they did not buy the track to make money..[X(]..in fact the carpet and amb system just sat in a room for 7 months not even being used..but on the rules we pretty much go by Roar rules..but were not so picky on club races..
Old 09-10-2008, 10:07 AM
jamiet2

i say xray t2 is the best where i race crally rdx is good to

few pics where i race
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	He97227.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	1030256   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44767.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	1030257   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92397.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	1030258  
Old 09-10-2008, 04:37 PM
madmax22

my LHS mostly runs TC's mostly tc 5's but you get the idea. If you have the $$ get a TC5F it will be the ultimate machine for the carpet. DO you have rules at your track or is it run what you brung' like you can go lipo and brushless or is it like they have a mod class and a spec class? that will depend greatly on what motor/esc/battery to use.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:55 PM
Tha Bear

sticking with the chassis your track store carries is probably the very best advice.

Used:

- Corally RDX: excellent performer, well built and TONS of used ones out there for cheap money
- x-ray t2: one of the most solid runers out there, and I loved running mine. Out of production though so dicey on parts.
- losi type-r: make sure it has low milage as they tend to wear a little funny. the car is awesome though and drives well almost always.

New:
-Corally Phi: use jeff cuffs setup from Vegas or Kenny Lamberts.
-Xray 08': hey, they 'are' at the top of the carpet pile
-Losi type R: this is such a solid driving car.
-TC5: not my favorite, but cheaper parts.

Battery:

smc lipo. The rdx, t2, type r and tc5 will hold a 5000 mih with no/few mods.

Speedo:

LRP or Tekin: the lrp seem to have fewer issues, but the tekin is one mean little piece of technology.

always happy to help if it means another sedan driver.