Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Help Me-New To this Game

I want to get into the RC Car Hobby World. I read lots of threads and forums on which RC car has lots of "hop-up" parts. I decided to go with the TT-01 since most of you recommend it as a great beginner car. I also love this car because of the bodies. They look more realistic (I am not a fan of buggy type RC's). Searching in Towerhobbies.com, a few of the kits have caught my eyes. Sooner or later, I want to be able to make this car drift, but I don't want a TT-01D. Can you guys help me choose a good one out of these(Don't judge by the body, what matter's the most is the number of "hop-up" parts and also performance)? Also, which radio control(futaba?) will last me a long time? Are there any upgrades that I should buy right away? Thanks a lot:

Choices:
    1. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXMVP2&P=SM
    2. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXGXB3&P=SM
    3. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLWS2&P=SM
    4. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXPXS4&P=SM
    5. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXRLB3&P=SM
    6. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXRXV7&P=SM

Thanks Alot

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Help Me-New To this Game

To be honest m8 a standard TT-01 will drift out of the box with a wheel change you may want to change out the motor for more speed though and thats when u need to start adding metal bearings,alloy propshaft etc.
    The rest of the hopups are for show or for high speeds,driftings not really about high speed but control.
    Get a kit you like the shell of and mod up from there,ABS or PVC drift wheels will get you sideways fast even on a standard silver can motor
    HPI Baja 5B, T-MAXX3.3, STAMPEDEVXL ,TT-01R

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So, any of those kits would be fine, even though some of the prices vary? One kit is $110 while the other is $150. Any difference that I should worry about or are they all the same?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Some comes w/ LEDs, some don't.. that's the price difference there...
    LB | WW2 | TLT | TB02 | DF03 | TEgg | F103GT | TXT | Hornet | Frog | Scalpel | Leo 2A6 | Aeromax | WW1 | Clod | CR-01

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

All come with motors but I think one or two of those also come with the TEU-101bk ESC.

Read through the descriptions carefully, if you don't care about leds then don't pay extra for them, if you're thinking of upgrading the motor and esc soon then don't get one with an esc.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

So, the Tamiya Schnitzer BMW M3 Sport Evo Kit for 109.99 will be good? In the description it doesn't say anything about an ESC but it does say that it includes an ESC and motor.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Also, is the Tamiya Schnitzer BMW M3 Sport Evo Kit for 109.99 driveable right out of the box? (Of course I have to buy the Radio Control)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Get past the bodies, the cars are all the same mechanically. Like a chevy cavalier and the pontiac sunfire.

They will all perform the same.

The BMW does say it comes with the motor (tamiya silver can) and esc (probably the teu-101bk). This means you need a radio and 1 servo plus a battery (and a charger for it).

Very few Tamiyas are RTR (prebuilt), they are kits which means you must build them. They pretty much provide everything you need except for screw drivers and model cement (if you need it). For me, I have more fun building these than I do driving them so I love Tamiyas. They do sell some "expert built" models but they'll cost twice as much.

From my point of view, building the kit is very important. Too many beginners out there buy a RTR without really understanding how the car works and therefore not knowing how to fix it when something goes wrong.

Theres really only 1 upgrade you need to do, the alloy drive shaft, after that everything is personal preference.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Oh great, that means that if I buy the Tamiya Schnitzer BMW M3 Sport Evo Kit for 109.99 (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXGXB3&P=SM) I will end up saving 40-50 other than buying the other TT-01 Kits. Yea, I was going to buy a kit rather than a RTR because I learn from building things.

Are all the motors from the TT-01 kits (from the links that I posted above) the same?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Would you recommend this kit ? If not, which one? I never had an RC before so I don't know whats the difference between certain parts of the kits. For example, the BMW kit for 109.99 says that the "Shocks: Friction, plastic". The Tamiya Mazda RX-7 FD3S Kit for 156.99 says that the "Shocks: Coil-over". I know what coil-overs are but what are FRICTION shocks?

I don't care about lights on my RC, all I want is a kit that I won't regret buying.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

as far as I know all the shocks are the same on all the TT-01's. Unless they upgraded for a specific kit (which they have been known to do), my guess is that they are coil over, friction, plastic shocks and just don't have the full description in both. The shocks are not sealed for use with oil and use friction on the inside and springs on the outside.

Here is what a stock shock looks like next to a 3racing aluminum oil filled shock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Us54424.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	1051346  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What is a good battery to start with? I haven't bought the kit yet because I rather buy everything at once. I will be ordering from Towerhobbies.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Now i do realise that you said that you dont really like buggies but would you consider buying one ( if so maybe a tamiya gravel hound?). Also when/if you do buy one of the TT-01 chassis cars i would recommend that you buy some upgraded shocks cause those standard ones that come with those chassis i found are just dreadful (from personal experience). However i beleive what your doing now with buying a TT-01 chassis is a very good idea (as stated above and in many other threads) cause their just such a good chassis as far as im concerned youll only scrath the chassis NEVER will you break it. And with your battery i would think a battery from 2400 milliamps and above would be a decent capacity size and try and get more than 1 battery otherwise you will waiting a long time between drives : )
    News just in, Kermit the frog just died of swine flu, his last words were \"THAT pig told me she was clean\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

and radio go with the spektrum dx2.0 radio, it's 2.4 ghz,no glitching or worrying about frequency
    Bl Detta st Slash E-maxx, Micro-T, Mrc,Street force,Corsair<br>

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just don't want to regret on any decision that is made since this hobby can get pretty expensive. I am a beginner but a fast learner. I live in New York City, so the streets aren't the smoothest and the locations with wide space areas are really far.I am not a really big fan of buggy's. I am an "aesthetic" type of guy. I like my "real" looking cars, lol. Thanks for the help though. I still haven't ordered my kit yet because I am stuck between two choices. I love TT-01's especially the things you can do with it. But, I am in college right now studying mechanical engineering and nitro cars seem more beneficial to get since I will learn how these small scale vehicles work. A problem with this is that Nitro cars are too expensive. I know that topics of Nitro vs. Electric never ends, but I am faced with a situation that is hard for me to solve. I really want to buy the TT-01 but the street in front of my house is not so smooth. There aren't any close by places in where I can actually drive this low profiled car. I wouldn't mind getting a nitro buggy because the thought of an RC with an engine is really fascinating. I dont want to get an electric buggy because they look like toys (sorry, no offense to anyone). Unless, I find a really nice looking buggy/truck (offroad/onroad) in which there are lots of upgrades for it that makes it look nice and run well, then I wouldnt mind. But my budget is under $300. I need some help.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You're just making it more difficult on yourself by adding more choices. Get what you want now then when you can afford it get the other stuff you want.

BTW, your neighbours really won't like a nitro buggy being run in the city, they are louder than you think. I run only 1/10 scale electric buggies, the 1/10 scale nitro buggies are more trouble than they are worth imo, hard to tune, loud and very high pitching while running. Go on youtube and get some videos of 1/10 nitro buggies and see whether you and your neighbours could live with that.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow you are right, they do sound too loud. Are TT-01 only driveable in smooth surfaces?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes. They have very low cg. Imo, with the right shocks and power system, the tt-01 is a very worthy car
    FrontmotorFrontwheeldrive-03

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

most 1/10 electric TC's will have low cg, rethink getting a 1/10 electric buggy if you want something to handle rougher roads, the longer suspension will help with it. Look at the DB-01, it's a very nice electric buggy, i have two of them, one I run on the street and the other off road.