Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

OFFICIAL HPI Sprint 2 Thread (Sport and Flux)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 02:28 PM
Uncle Vinnie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL HPI Sprint 2 Thread (Sport and Flux)

Just trying to be helpful.
ORIGINAL: Jpsonoma

Uncle Vinnie,

Just a little observation I noticed. I like your steering setup, however, you may want to take some measurements. I'll attach a picture to give you some clarity on what I'm describing.

Basically, the measurment you get for A1 should be equal to the measurment you get for A2. Now this distance looks to be very close from your picture, but I can't tell 100%. The one that would concern me is the the measurment of B1 and B2, they need to be equal as well and just looking at the picture I can tell they are not. What you are causing is the left wheel to travel farther in both directions than the right wheel. That could be useful if you were running an oval car, but if your running any kind of road course you'll have a car with different steering characteristics when turing left and right. Generally something you do not want.
You're absolutely correct Jpsonoma....

It has been correct, the graphite steering adapter has been removed, and the stock one has been installed where the appropriate adjustments have been done.
Thanks for pointing it out
Old 09-24-2011, 03:00 PM
SerpentCT4S
My Feedback: (1)

Can you tell me where to find info in this thread regarding the solution for steering slop?
Old 09-24-2011, 03:18 PM
Uncle Vinnie

ORIGINAL: SerpentCT4S

Can you tell me where to find info in this thread regarding the solution for steering slop?
Look on page 45
Old 09-24-2011, 03:47 PM
Uncle Vinnie

How to balance the Sprint 2 to perfection,
There are 3 major problem the way the Sprint is setup from factory, you will never have a balance car, everything is totally off

1 - Battery
2 - Electronics
3 - Motor

Lets start of with the battery - it's set too much to rear of the car, remove the 2 Motor Place Set and installed then on the 2 location that are closer to the front, there is enough room to fit a 7.4 Lipo with 5000mah.
The belt tensioner will have to be place under the lower section of the belt...see photo below, will also be able to see the belt does not touch the battery, one problem solved.

Electronics - I have no idea why HPI installed the electronics the way they did. Steering servo stays where it is, ESC moves in front of one of the Motor Place set and Receiver goes right in between the ESC/Steering
Many of you might have a problem fitting the receiver in there depending on the size of it, I have a Spektrum Sr3300T and it fits perfectly, the belt is about 1mm above it. Photo below.

Motor - Not an easy fix, but why hasn't HPI seen this and corrected it. If you take a look at the stock position of the Motor, looking at it from the front to the car the motor sits a few mm to the right.
Get three 4mm nuts, we all have them in our tool box and install them on the motor plate (see photo below), where you're going to have problems in with the Middle Lay Shaft you need to drill a hole to compensate for the 4mm shift (I ruined the original one, had to get another, got it the 2nd time). After this is done your motor will sit right in the middle of the chassis and not to the right.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:53 PM
Uncle Vinnie

Here are a few other photos I took randomly.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:22 PM
Uncle Vinnie

Here is a copy of the balance sheet...

Old 09-25-2011, 08:18 AM
sunco1

ORIGINAL: 32_d3gr33s

ORIGINAL: sunco1

Maybe even [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLST4&P=0]these?[/link]

thats what i use, those are great for roads/parking lots. If you are looking for drift tires, these work good
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMRD5&P=Z
thanks! i went with [link=http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_25_1450_43/products_id/93071/n/Team-Associated-Pre-Mounted-1-10-On-Road-Tires-w-8-Spoke-Wheels-Chrome-4]these instead[/link] because they are cheaper. And i got the sprint 2 drift so i wont need drift tires
Old 09-25-2011, 02:36 PM
fastandloud

Uncle vinnie im very impressed by the clean mean look of your sprint. Do you race it at a track or just run it in the streets? Mines always dirty and all plastic but i love it just the same, Only car i pull out when its time to DRIFT!! (shes got a few mods ) Just had to comment on yours cuz its lookin good sir.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:53 PM
Car-Tune

Vinnie,

When adding the body... Does the weight ratio change?
Old 09-26-2011, 09:31 AM
lee-cee

Is this set up ok to use with the 5700kv motor and 30c hpi lipo battery

23t pinion
85t spur

I ordered the spur gear by mistake and need to know if it's safe to use on a high traction track without getting to hot.

thanks.

Old 09-26-2011, 02:55 PM
Uncle Vinnie

fastandloud Date 9/25/2011 11:36 PM
Uncle vinnie im very impressed by the clean mean look of your sprint. Do you race it at a track or just run it in the streets? Mines always dirty and all plastic but i love it just the same, Only car i pull out when its time to DRIFT!! (shes got a few mods ) Just had to comment on yours cuz its lookin good sir.
I race it during the winter time, at an indoor track we have near by, there's usually 40-50 guys racing, last winter I placed 10th overall, however the other 9 guys in front of were like 1 second faster.
I'm hopping to cut that down this year, we'll.

Car-Boy Date 9/25/2011 11:53 PM
Vinnie,

When adding the body... Does the weight ratio change?
It shouldn't.... I use a Protoform Mazda 190mm when I'm racing. It weighs 105 grams you will see an additional 25 grams on each wheel, maybe a few more grams in the back because of the wing.
I will test it and let you know

lee-cee Date 9/26/2011 6:31 PM
Is this set up ok to use with the 5700kv motor and 30c hpi lipo battery

23t pinion
85t spur

I ordered the spur gear by mistake and need to know if it's safe to use on a high traction track without getting to hot.

thanks.
It's really hard to say....if you have a track that's very technical you'll never get up to speed to heat up the motor, if the track has a lot of straights it might get warm.
Best thing to do is buy a Temperature gauge and have it with you all times
This is what I use, I've had it for 4 years and it's great.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEMG5&P=ML
Old 09-26-2011, 09:52 PM
BigTone85

Hey guys, Im new to RC racing. I ordered a Sprint 2 flux for VTA racing. Im getting the required motor esc etc. My questions are Do the Sprint 2 flux RTR come with a battery? What 5000mah lipo 2 cell battery should I get for VTA racing to match a Novak Ballistic 25.5 and GTB 2 esc?
 Also is hobbyking.com a reliable safe site to purchase from? I live in the States. Thanks Guys!
Old 09-26-2011, 11:12 PM
funkyflynz

I have a Sprint 2 sport that i brought used, and it has a 15T motor and a 3000mah battery. I only drift this car. I only seem to get about 10mins hard driving. What is going to be the best bang for my money to get 20-30mins run time?

Im totally new to this so while i hear about lipos i dont really understand, same with motors, i see different types of motors 20T etc, what is the difference between a 15T and a 20T?

Thanks
Old 09-28-2011, 02:22 PM
Uncle Vinnie

Hey guys, Im new to RC racing. I ordered a Sprint 2 flux for VTA racing. Im getting the required motor esc etc. My questions are Do the Sprint 2 flux RTR come with a battery? What 5000mah lipo 2 cell battery should I get for VTA racing to match a Novak Ballistic 25.5 and GTB 2 esc?
Also is hobbyking.com a reliable safe site to purchase from? I live in the States. Thanks Guys!
According to HPI website it comes with a 3300mah battery
http://www.hpiracing.com/kitinfo/106159/
I order all my batteries from Hobbyking, never had a problem, these are the ones I've been getting, I get about 1/2 hour play time, don't forget you'll also need a Lipo charger
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...cessories.html

I have a Sprint 2 sport that i brought used, and it has a 15T motor and a 3000mah battery. I only drift this car. I only seem to get about 10mins hard driving. What is going to be the best bang for my money to get 20-30mins run time?

Im totally new to this so while i hear about lipos i dont really understand, same with motors, i see different types of motors 20T etc, what is the difference between a 15T and a 20T?

Thanks
The turns of a motor means how many times the wire is wrapped around the armature.

The higher the number of turns, the more torque the motor has, but at a lower rpm. = more torque, low top speed
The lower the number of turns, the less torque the motor has, but at a higher rpm. = less torque, more top speed

Old 09-30-2011, 05:44 AM
sunco1

Thanks
If you already have a nimh charger and dont wanna buy a lipo one then the traxxas 3 series 3300mah battery is good. That what i use. i get like 25 minutes with my sprint 2 drift
Old 10-07-2011, 01:38 AM
lee-cee

Does anyone else have this problem?

I have a sprint 2 flux with nearly all option parts fitted and it now run's sweet at my local track. i use the hpi x patten tyre and would like to stay with them, but after 20min or so I have to stop and clean the front diff as it has a thick build up of burnt  sticky rubber that cause's the belt to become very tight and slowing the car down.   

Is there a way to stop this without using a harder tyre.
Thank's.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:04 AM
JRizEJ6

Hi everyone, just purchased a sprint 2 sport today and had a few questions. first of all, im planning on getting a higher capacity nimh battery. what are the downsides to a higher capacity battery in the 4000-5000mah range? longer charge times? should i just go with the highest mah i can find? second, im not a fan of the supplied charger so ill be looking to replace that as well. i dont like the fact that i have no way of telling when the battery is done charging and according to the manual, if overcharged i could damage the battery. would something like this www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p be what i am looking for? also, im a little confused as to what kind of connectors come with that charger and if i need to buy a separate connector. which brings me to my third question, what type of connector does my sprint 2 sport use? i see there are standard, traxxas, and deans ultra plugs. thank you in advance to anyone who offers help!
Old 10-10-2011, 06:30 AM
Uncle Vinnie

The higher the capacity the battery = longer play time, too me is worth it....it might take a little longer to charge but so what, if you have 4-5 batteries really doesn't make any difference. Why don't you like the charger that came with the kit???? It should automatically stop charging the battery once it's full.
You are right, there are a lot better chargers out there if I were you I would do some research to find what suits your needs better.
The one you posted seems good enough.

You're Sprint Sport has tamiya, and banana plugs ( I think they are banana plugs), you're battery has a female tamiya plug, just go to your LHS with you're battery and ask them for a battery charger adapter $2-3, or you can make one you're self, buy a male tamiya connect re/black wire and you're done.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:30 PM
JRizEJ6

thank you for the advice. i have another question. when my transmitter is on (the supplied hpi tf-40) its light is solid red. is that part of normal operation? naturally i would have expected the light to be green if everything was ok and red when the batteries were almost out. i am using the supplied 4AA hpi plazma batteries.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:36 PM
Odyssey Dawn

Sup guys. I'm new to the R/C world both nitro and electric so I got a quick question for you guys. I just bought myself the HPI Sprint 2 Sport about a couple months ago. I gave it a good run with the battery it came with (hpi-racing plazma 7.2V 2000mAh NiMh). I was very disappointed with the speed I was getting from the battery. It came nowhere close to the speeds of my RS4 3 Evo+. I'm aiming for around 11.1 V 5000mAh from a lipo battery. So I got a few questions actually.

1) How much power can the stock components handle?
2) What size of a lipo should I get to replace this NiMh? (2S, 3S, etc.)
3) Will I be needing to change any of the components so I won't fry anything from upgrading to that much power?
And
4) What's a good discharge rate (C) for the car?
Old 10-13-2011, 02:40 PM
Uncle Vinnie

You do realize you got the Sprint with the Brushed motor, how fast did you except it to be???
Should of gotten the Flux with Brushless power right out of the box over 50mph.

To answer your questions.

1 - I had my Flux at 60mph nothing broke, I'm usually between 45-52 mph, depending on the track.
2 - 2S, anything more than that and you will fry the ESC/Motor, you'll probably fry it 2S lipo anyways.
3 - you'll end up replacing the ESC/motor within a few weeks
4 - buy as high as you can afford, I have 40C discharge and 50C burst, more than enough
Old 10-13-2011, 04:25 PM
Odyssey Dawn

Cool. But say I stay with NiMh. How much can my motor handle? How many volts and milliamps/hour should I get to get the car's maximum potential without frying or blowing anything up?
Old 10-23-2011, 03:30 PM
Uncle Vinnie

The little rubber adapter that holds the ball bearing and the Middle lay Shaft has 3 different setting.

I know that each different setting effects the tension of the rear or front belt...my question is how does that effect the traction or what does it really do???

Thanks
Old 10-23-2011, 04:11 PM
chops1sc

A little bashing video I put together recently! I am really enjoying this thing!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EXM7iV8imI[/youtube]
Old 10-29-2011, 07:54 PM
JRizEJ6

i purchased the hpi led light kit today and got it all hooked up on my sprint 2 sport. in the manual it says that the lights will turn on once the receiver is turned on however the lights turn on once my battery is connected. i am assuming that it should turn on when i switch on the esc or is that not the case here? is power being fed to the receiver once the battery is connected?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.