Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

OFFICIAL HPI Sprint 2 Thread (Sport and Flux)

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 08:38 PM
zanga254
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFFICIAL HPI Sprint 2 Thread (Sport and Flux)

ORIGINAL: ph0six

zanga254,

Thank you for the warm welcome and helpful advise!

As per your suggestions, I think I'll stick to the stock motor / esc until I become comfortable with the car and if I become interested in track in the future I'll pick up the 6900.

As for the gearing on the stock esc / motor, does the spur / pinion need to be changed out with a stock setup for drifting? and if so, which spur pinion combination should i use? I'll pick up a set of the T-Drift tires but wanted to know if any further adjustments were nessicary out of the box for the sprint 2 flux to get it drifting smoothly.

Also, is a fan recommended for the stock ESC? I read the heatsync being poor and running hot, also if that's the case, do you wire the molex into the lipo or do you have to run it on its own battery supply?

I read several threads in regards to the steering being a little unstable at higher speeds, does this just apply to the sprint 2 or does that also occur with the flux?

As far as cost is concerned, I can budget for the flux and really like the RTR option being a newcommer, the thought of building one of those kits by hands having never done it before makes me a little nervous lol. When I was doing some comparisions between cars last week, I was interested in the Cyclone-S originally but after reading about the lack of durability out of the box, I became interested in the Sprint 2. I was considering a yokomo but again having to build it by hand kind of turned me off being new to the sport.

Anyhow, thanks again for the information, I'm definately taking notes here to get up to speed with the rest of you experts.

Have a good one!

No problem! Usually you do not need to change out the stock gearing unless the motor is hot or you are gearing to a track( at a track you would gear in a way that you whould almost reach max speed at a point in your run, so acceleration is increased). The motor should not be hot, as there is not much mass to push around. If it does get hot, the easiest thing to do would be to got to a spur in the 90's range (stock tooth count is 87). They you can just stock up on different ones and keep them for when you want to start tuning.

I have never had the flux but i know it is based widely on the same platform as castle products. I am assuming that it will be very hard to drift because of the high starting power, i hope that someone else can confirm this. I honestly do not know what you would have to do to increase the controlability. Maybe extreme acceleration gearing, adjusting the settings through the software on the esc, buying a separate drifting motor with a high tooth count.

Again, I have no experience with the flux system but if you were to get a fan, run it on a separate battery. Running the fan with the car battery will ruin run time and I am assuming that it may overpower the fan? I have never had to use a fan with the mamba max system if that gives you any indication of whether a fan is needed or not.

Oh, another thing you could do is cut a hole so that airflow can travel to the esc and help cool it down.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:39 PM
iMOD

ddint know the fan pulled that much current..
Old 04-06-2010, 09:45 PM
zanga254

ORIGINAL: iMOD

ddint know the fan pulled that much current..
It really doesn't take up too much runtime but still something to think about.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:41 AM
hpidriver94

no it so you dont have to use a separate battery for the fan for the ESC, you can get the fan its power by plugging it into that slot on the reciever.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:52 PM
zanga254

Doesn't the sprint's reciever have only 2 channels?
Old 04-07-2010, 04:54 PM
hpidriver94

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z5Uj0aPXUk[/youtube]Heres the video i just made to clarify.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:17 PM
sebhitman

Hey i just bought a sprint 2 with mamba 5700v ,
I needed to remove the plastic battery holder both sides & put velcro to be able to race this weekend but my lipo was like open to CRASH .... on both sides

how can i still keep the stock holders?

what battery will fit in the 2s + 3s , thanks!

if i can buy a other chassis (3racing or other style i don't mind tell me what to do)

PS: i damaged all my lipo stickers on the chassis trying to force it in thank god it's a hard case but the darng thing was brand new before the RACE! (maybe it's normal but still...)
Old 04-11-2010, 10:25 PM
Willystylz

As far as I know there's only two versions of the Sprint 2 chassis, the plastic and the carbon fibre one. The battery compartment is a little tight. You'll only be able to fit 2S, as 3S are normally higher. When choosing a battery you'll need to measure the height of the compartment, and it's narrowest at the two ends where the swing battery holder ends are. I believe the max height is 24mm. A lot of hardcase 2S lipos >=5000mah are at least 24mm high. Any of the 2S stick-pack styled lipos would be a safe bet as they're modelled after a 6 cell nimh pack.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:34 PM
sebhitman

hmmm
thats pretty crappy.

Not a good news.
so ill keep damaging my stickers + scratching my battery just to fit them in on & on & try to hack my way thru ?

thats kind of weird since the flux is meant to be lipo
and its the same chassis ,

hpi needs to move on this & give us lipo user replacement parts for this problem .
Old 04-11-2010, 11:12 PM
zanga254

ORIGINAL: hpidriver94

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z5Uj0aPXUk[/youtube]Heres the video i just made to clarify.
Ok, well i don't think the flux was built with an auxillary power plug in the esc. The Havoc has a fan plug on the esc, and the esc would power the fan from the power it is receiving from the car's battery.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:42 PM
sebhitman

so is there a alternative for us lipo users to be able to stick one there safe & sound & close both sides?
Old 04-12-2010, 01:05 AM
bolo2002

Yes the alternative is to get a different Lipo...I run 3s on my flux 2 and the battery is much bigger than stock 3s...I ordered one from oversees and had to modify the battery compartment width, it is still kind of snug length wise, but a venom 3s lipo should fit with little problem.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:20 AM
bolo2002

87/32 what engine are you running? 32 Pinion is kind of high, with a lot of voltage and an engine that can handle it and not get hotl this setup would be extremely faster than 78/28 will put a lot less stress on the car~
Old 04-12-2010, 01:25 AM
bolo2002

Well I noticed that you have your drivetrain belt above the tensioner. Depending on how fast you plan on going you might wanna put it below the tensioner. My flux 2 does about 65+ with my setup and if my belt was above the tensioner it would cause a problem if a rock or something jumped around under the body while I am running it. If you plan on going between 18-40 you should be okay.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:31 PM
iMOD

ORIGINAL: bolo2002

87/32 what engine are you running? 32 Pinion is kind of high, with a lot of voltage and an engine that can handle it and not get hotl this setup would be extremely faster than 78/28 will put a lot less stress on the car~
Im using a ezrun 9t..right now im at 78/32, but i hvent been playing lately, busy with school.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:37 AM
doolin64

My "new to me" Sprint2 Flux should be hear in the next day or so. My next order of business is picking up a new Lipo pack. I'm planning on sticking with a 2s pack. I just don't know whether to go with a stick pack or a saddle pack?

What are the advantages/disadvantages with running either of these style lipo packs in the Sprint2? I plan on using it the car for some driveway racing and also some drifting after I swap around tires.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:02 AM
iMOD

most lipos just come as a box?? I guess you should stick with stick packs. thats what the compartment is designed to, but u can alter the battery holster in many ways.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:59 AM
doolin64

Depends on the brand of lipos you get.

Do I need a hardcase lipo for this car? The Maxamp lipos I run in my savage flux are not hard case.

Here's my options through Maxamps.
http://www.maxamps.com/products.php?cat=202

Old 04-15-2010, 04:52 PM
zanga254

Stick packs are great and easier to handle, but if you want to get the carbon fiber upperdeck ever, then you're going to have to get a saddle pack.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:15 PM
iMOD

^not neccessarily..
Old 04-15-2010, 09:38 PM
doolin64

What is the advantage of the carbon fiber upper tray? Just weight?
Old 04-15-2010, 09:40 PM
Willystylz

carbon fibre is much stiffer than the stock plastic
Old 04-15-2010, 09:44 PM
zanga254

ORIGINAL: iMOD

^not neccessarily..
Of course you could modify it buy that's beside the point.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:13 PM
Car-Tune

It makes it look good too
Old 04-16-2010, 06:31 AM
bolo2002

I advise you not to get any of this mess if you are gonna go lipo, I don't want to sound rude but all of these options on this link is terrible for a sprint flux 2. The sprint flux 2 is brushless and designed for speed, I suggest getting a hardcase from checkpoint, or going with just a cheap one from overseas. Any questions I can further guide you in the right direction. Saddle packs I strongly believe should be used in sprint 2's only...not fluxs'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.