Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

are pan cars dead?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 04:23 PM
nitrovulcnse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are pan cars dead?!

I spent some time at my local indoor track, and saw some pan car action both 1/10th and 1/12th, but really, not much. What ever happened to pan cars? they are so cool (to me) but im suprised they aren't as popular as they used to be. maybe because of the boom in off road nitro? I solute those diehard pancar guys out there!
Old 03-02-2009, 04:30 PM
Troggie

Default RE: are pan cars dead?!

Pan cars gave way to Touring cars.. though I read an article in either RC Car action or Xtreme RC saying that there is a new chassis coming out that is a hybrid of pan/touring that may take over for both.

I fondly remember running pan cars in the late 80's early 90's on cement ovals and dirt ovals.. I certainly would not mind seeing them come back as I can then dust off some of my old Nascar bodies for use.. LOL
Old 03-02-2009, 05:37 PM
nitrovulcnse

lol. ya i used to have an old rc10l2. a hybrid of both would be kinda cool, but right now all i can think of is the 1/8th scale nitro cars that have independent suspensions, but are really wide, which i think would be kinda cool, but i sorta have a thing for damper plate/ rear pod suspensions. i think it would be kinda nice seeing a wider touring car type front end mated with a t plate rear setup. also, since nitro is a trend right now, maybe a nitro pancar???? so many of these ideas makes me wish i built and tested production prototypes for team associated...
Old 03-02-2009, 06:34 PM
racerj3

Actually pan cars aren't as dead as you think. There are a couple of new manufacterers out there releasing kits, Like Mcpappy Racing, Stryker, and Silva Concepts. Not to mention if you know where to look there are still a bunch of kits availalbe. KSG, Custom Works, Darkside Motorsports, HyperDrive, and Leading Edge all still make pan cars, not to mention Associated is greenlightting production of the RC10l5-oval. Also the Snowbirds and the BRL series do draw many racers, though I thinkit depends on your area if pan cars are still around. I know here in wisconsin since we have a rather lengthy indoor season we still have several tracks to rae oval, so its all good here.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:39 PM
ElectricGuy007

There is a few pan car fans left in my area. But yeah it's declined some, but I doubt it's dead.
I always wanted to try the class out, but we had an indoor carpet track in boonville IN that died and didnt even get a chance.
I ran a tamiya TL-01 in the stock touring class when they were open in 2003, that was before the brushless boom hit.
I was alot of fun and I miss it![:-]
Old 03-04-2009, 07:40 PM
smaxx311

i have an rc10l4 that i use to race at pit row but it shut down.[]
Old 03-05-2009, 02:02 AM
NitroVette

I started this hobby when pan cars were in their heyday and regret selling the ones I owned. I had a 10L, 10LSS, Composite Craft Predator, and Composite Craft Lynx II which was my favorite one of all. I am interested in the new Associated pan car. By the way whoever bought my orange Willy's bodied Lynx II converted drag car with an AstroFlight Top Fuel motor, Tekin 420, and Lunchbox foam slicks I would like to buy it back thanks.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:32 AM
iggk

pan cars have a good turnout at my local track, we run a spec class with the speedmerchant speedspec chassis. i borrowed 1 my first 3 weeks back in the hobby and love how this thing drives and it's got to be the strongest pan cars EVER!

i think 3 people have bought this chassis in the last week so at least at my track pan cars are ALIVE!!
Old 03-05-2009, 07:56 PM
nitrovulcnse

Ya, at my track, they mostly do oval with the pan cars, which is all fine and dandy to me, but i like twists and turns. very little people actually are interested in racing their pancars on road courses s here. really a shame i think. i would think that pancars are incredibly fast aroung the corners due to their low center of gravity, extreamly wide stance, and super wide tires. i think get a nice pancar, a nice brushless setup, and lithium batteries along with sticky tires and youve got a ton of fun in a small car.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:27 AM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

I know that I still have a 10L graphite, a 10L2(I think), and a Delta pan car.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:51 PM
madmax22

are pan cars pretty much oval cars? At my LHS last race there was 80+ oval car guys. Im thinking about picking one up.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:33 AM
CrocEnd

Please us a pic of some pan cars sound great and oval racing.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:27 PM
nitrovulcnse

pan cars are good oval racers, but you can also get pan cars that are strictly for oval with special battery cradels that position the weight out more towards the left
Old 03-23-2009, 07:53 PM
madmax22

k ill head to my LHS and see hwat the guys are using there.
Old 04-18-2009, 04:46 AM
Sputnik11

Pan Cars Rock ...Shear Performance ...

anyone able to help me find some C10X 235mm parts ..pls send me a pm
Old 04-20-2009, 05:42 PM
DHC8GURU

i am not an onroad guy, but this thread caught my eye. when i started rc cars years back, i got a CEN CT4S. but running around parking lots and up and down my street got old, wanting to race, I went off road since there was a track nearby . The only on road electric track is an hour away. There is a nice outdoor track for nitro but i am not that enthused about running nitro on road. So in my case dropping big money on a car that i can only run at one track, that requires me to drive an hour away to seems pointless. that same track has an indoor offroad track that i do drive to when weather is bad. i have noticed that on road turn out on race day is 1/4 that of offroad. Other drivers tell me that they use to race on road but the cost to stay competitve was what drove them away. I think offroad is what may be killing the onroad numbers. Competitve offroad cars are in general cheaper, you can run them in more places and although you are more likely to break components, they seem to be cheaper.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:52 PM
phast46

pan cars arent dead someone got me hooked on them just a couple days ago and now i cant get away from them..i think more people should run them thought their wicked fun