Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

HPI Cup Racer, And Slash VXL Battery ?'s

Old 05-25-2009, 07:00 PM
Budget Monty

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default HPI Cup Racer, And Slash VXL Battery ?'s

I am planning on buying an HPI Cup Racer, and a Mini Slash VXL and have a few ?'s. I figured this would be the best forum since my slash ?'s are battery related, and not really vehicle related. First: I noticed on the description of the Cup Racer at HPIracing.com that the rear of the car has a ball diff and plastic outdrives, and that thew front has steel outdrives and a "Sealed diff". I am assuming that the sealed diff is the silicone tunable style sealed diff like in my Traxxas Summit. If so, that is what I prefer over the ball diif. I am just a basher, and have had great luck with this style diff. I like the little to no maintainence of the sealed diff, and the limited slip action on that style diff works great for my needs. I recently had the horrible HPI brama that had plastic diff outdrives, and they broke easily when I went brushless. I plan on putting in at least a 5700MM if I get this car. Now here is my simplified ?:

If I buy a spare front diff and out drives, willI be able to replace the rear ball diff and plasic outdrives withduplicate front parts?

And for my Mini Slash VXL ?'s: I know that the batteries for the Mini Slash VXL are smaller than regular packs, what charge rate can be used for these cells? I plan on running both packs with either a series connector or a paralell connector depending on if I want longer run time or faster top end, and would like to use a charger that can charge both packs at the same time (I have a Duratrax dual charger now with a fixed charge rate of 3.5A per side).

I am assuming that3.5A would be too high of a charge rate for these style packs, anyone know for sure? If it is too high, is there a sutible charger for these packs that can do 2 packs at the same time? I am guessing that the supplied charger is going to be of the overnight variety, and that isn't gonna fly, especially for 2 packs.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:51 PM
skottoman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: HPI Cup Racer, And Slash VXL Battery ?'s

I've been running a totally stock Cup Racer for the past few weeks. It's a blast as is. I would say buy and try first before deciding on mods.
It's a really fun car, and so for (for me), has been reliable running a 17T motor. Handles really well, and takes tight turns if needed.
Try it, then decide later if you really NEED to mod it.

Brushless may be a different story though, don't know how the driveline would hold up.
Cheers,
Skottoman
Old 05-25-2009, 08:16 PM
Budget Monty

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I won't be buying it at all if I can't swap the front diff to the rear. I just got done dealing with one of the garbage HPI Brama 10B's that had the plastic drive cups, and plastic gear that rides on the diff ring gear, and it all just fell apart. I simply will not put myself through that again. I was just wondering if anyone knew if they were interchangable.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:41 AM
redfisher1974

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The new rCdriver mag has a reveiw on the cup racer.....
Old 05-26-2009, 05:29 PM
Budget Monty

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Does anyone that own one know if the front and rear diffs and outdrives can be swapped front to rear?