Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

differentials driving me nuts! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 08:33 PM
Churron
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default differentials driving me nuts! HELP!

ok guys i have a TT01, graphite chassis, almost all aluminum (dont lecture me on if you like the tt01 or not, its what i have)

i recently bought an ezrun brushless system and wanted to drop it in, so i did, upon hitting the throttle the first time, very very lightly, while holding the car in my hand (one of those make sure its running tests) the wheels went spastic all kinds of clicking almost as if there is a rock in there jamming things up. so i took the brushless out.... put the stock motor and esc.... same problem, the car was working fine literally 30 mins before this.

So i went out and bought a couple parts bags and completely rebuilt the car new gears, new everything, got it all greased up and ready to go, put in stock electrics to test, and it ran beautifully, so i decided to drop the brushless back in. I hold the car up in the air and pull the throttle a hair to make sure everything will spin right, and it goes nuts again clicking, literally right after it ran perfectly.

i have no idea what i have done wrong, everything is lined up correctly, and it cant be that the motor was too much, because i only pulled the throttle a hair

any ideas on whats going on? im gonna pull it back apart tomorrow night, though i assume its going to be the same as it was the first time, and look perfectly fine, i just dont know what it is and its driving me nuts.

ive never had a problem like this, sure its something simple that im over looking in my frustration......

any ideas guys?

help please!
Old 06-18-2009, 08:56 PM
Druss

Default RE: differentials driving me nuts! HELP!

Did you notice anything wrong when you pulled it apart the first time?  What exactly did you replace?  I can't see the gear diffs giving you that much problem.  Where exactly is the clicking coming from?

I've got brushless in both my TT-01s and they are fine with it.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:45 PM
AusDrifter18

What pinion did you use for each motor? if theyr different thats probably the problem... tamiya uses a different pitch to the rest of the rc world so if you used the same pinion for both motors i dont know... i stuck a brushless in my TT01 = no problems... however i had a similair sounding issue when i tried to use a tamiya pinion on my ASSOCIATED TC5 so yeh...

Old 06-19-2009, 05:30 AM
Churron

the spur and pinion right now are the stock that came with the car, i rebuilt it with stock gears from a tt-01 drift kit that i had on hand.......... when i opened it up the first time i did not see anything wrong at all, everything was lined up, and was spinning just fine. Thats why i am lost, gonna open it up tonight again and check this time.

the clicking is coming from both the front and rear, but is louder in the rear,

i may film a short clip of it before i open it up this evening
Old 06-19-2009, 07:13 AM
Spetz

Maybe when you lift it off the ground the wheels droop a lot and it's your driveshafts making that noise?
Make sure when you lift it the wheels don't fall down heaps (droop) and have a look at what the suspension/driveshaft angle is like when it's off the ground
Old 06-19-2009, 07:19 AM
total3d

check that everything in the driveline(esp the dogbones) are free when on the ground, and up in the air. the droop could cause something to touch.

also make sure the pinion screw isnt touching the spur on rotation
Old 06-19-2009, 09:15 PM
Churron

video of the problem, hopefully this helps you guys help me!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpTbV85Us-o[/youtube]

if the video does not work, here is the link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpTbV85Us-o

Old 06-20-2009, 10:11 PM
total3d

hmmm thats a strange 1...
good vid, the experts on here might know where the problem lies.

from i could see, something might be jamming in the rear diff case... motor+pinion seems fine.

i noticed the top brace isnt put on. assemble the car and try drive it on the ground.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:22 PM
Raguvian

Is it cogging due to the battery not being powerful enough?

Sounds kind of like what my TT-01 on brushless does at low speeds also, but it could be a completely different problem.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:44 AM
Churron

the battery is a 2s lipo so im thinking thats not the problem, ill try putting the top deck on it tonight if i get time and see if it will run on the ground under its own weight, my hopes are not high though!
Old 06-21-2009, 12:58 PM
Spetz

That might just be the motor making that sound and vibrations at low rpm. My brushed motor does something similar but nowhere near as extreme (23T though)
Try giving it a little bit more throttle and see if it smoothes out
Try taking the motor out as well, and then giving it throttle and see if it spins smoothly
Old 06-21-2009, 08:02 PM
Churron

well, the car is now fully functioning! I however am not quite sure what happened! I pu the top deck on and just kinda stacked the electronics up too see if i could get it to roll under its own weight. It had a spasm attack and sputtering just like in the video and barley moved. I was a little annoyed so to vent my frustrations i just pulled the throttle all the way back..................... and after a loud "click" the car took off at full speed right into the wall, thank god for foam bumpers! and running board!

and now the car is running just fine, like nothing was ever wrong........... go figure

so if all else fails,.... GUNIT!
Old 06-22-2009, 04:15 AM
Spetz

Good to hear
Old 06-22-2009, 06:18 AM
Willystylz

so sometimes running into walls or applying hammer does work!! LOL