Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

help with my amax booster ?

Old 04-02-2011, 01:31 PM
scott321

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with my amax booster ?

i have a amax booster (same as an exceed sunfire), it was as a xmas gift for my 4yr old son. ive just upgraded the motor to a ansmann clash 21T. however the motor,battery and esc run hot (very hot). ive read that getting a smaller pinion gear by 2 or 3 teeth will sort this out. it was running a 23 tooth when i got it second hand with a 35T motor. can anybody help me as im stuck, ive only been into rc cars for 4 months an i dont know my bum from my elbo!!!!!!!!
Old 04-02-2011, 01:50 PM
The Mad Modder

Default RE: help with my amax booster ?

ORIGINAL: scott321

i have a amax booster (same as an exceed sunfire), it was as a xmas gift for my 4yr old son. ive just upgraded the motor to a ansmann clash 21T. however the motor,battery and esc run hot (very hot). ive read that getting a smaller pinion gear by 2 or 3 teeth will sort this out. it was running a 23 tooth when i got it second hand with a 35T motor. can anybody help me as im stuck, ive only been into rc cars for 4 months an i dont know my bum from my elbo!!!!!!!!
Higher turn motors run slower than lower turn ones, but they also have more torque, so they can take a higher gear ratio before getting as hot. I would change to a 20 or 19 tooth pinion(gear on the motor).
Old 04-02-2011, 01:56 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

If you know that you're running 48 pitch series gears on it, dropping 2-3 teeth is a good way to go.

I reinforce mad modder's comment.

If it's a 32 pitch series gear system, drop 1-2 teeth on the motor pinion gear.

I don't know why you got that gearing, probably fast enough for your four y/o kid, but not fast enough for YOU . . . . .
The cheaper the car, the more you should stick to the kit's instructions - duh, winning!

IMHO I have no clue what you set to acheive teaching a four year old kid R/C cars . . . . . . kinda creepy to be frank, whether or not it's you're own child.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:06 PM
scott321

thank for the advice,i need all the help i can get as the local shops over here tell you you need this and that just to make a few more quid (bucks). im also not very good on the computer aswell.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:10 PM
scott321

its not creepy, it was brought on a whim. but thanks for the advice.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:14 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

its not creepy, it was brought on a whim. but thanks for the advice.
If you bought it on a whim, then it was really never meant for him then. My apologies.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:18 PM
scott321

it was but i use it more (ha ha ) no offence taken and i take good advice from any one. p.s he is my son and he is realy good with it !!
Old 04-02-2011, 02:52 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

it was but i use it more (ha ha ) no offence taken and i take good advice from any one. p.s he is my son and he is realy good with it !!
Oh come on now - he's four!!!!!!

I posted an inital speed run on Youtube for my TC5FT, and a grandma in the local community harranged me to give her info to let her buy a high performance R/C car for her 3 year old grandson. She admitted that she wanted it more, and I politely told her "it's not for little kids".

Please try not to do the same; living yourself through a child that is a relative. It will bite you in the ass one way or another; trust me. My little brother is now a devoted cult member of the R/C helicopter realm, and it's all my fault since my Tamiya Frog from the 1980s.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:58 PM
scott321

yes hes 4 and hes a very fast lerner, faster than his dad. i kid you not ! although he has had a few prangs that has cost me money, but that part of the fun in being a dad !
Old 04-02-2011, 02:59 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

please read up . . . . I was editing my post when you posted lol
Old 04-02-2011, 03:05 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

I love Adam Sandler when he said in Billy Madison - Never grow up!!! Don't leave the third grade!!! And so on . . . . .

Kids are super awesome, all the way until puberty. My daughter is now 18, going to college, and I'm supposed to talk to her hand. Or her hand's secretary. Yay! Cherish them while they are innocent!!!!!
Old 04-02-2011, 03:06 PM
scott321

i tell you no lies, its his car and i maintain it (and play with it when hes at nursery) but its his and he loves it. i want a nitro buggy!!
Old 04-02-2011, 03:08 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

If you've got the money, do it.

If you think gas prices are high, nitro fuel goes for 30-45 dollars a gallon.

And you still need to use batteries for your servo and receiver, so you're not completely out of the loop from electrics.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:11 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

they sell fuel in quarts, but there's four quarts to a gallon of fuel. they rip you off bigtime that way, especially at 18 bucks a quart.

Better be a rich guy!!!
Old 04-02-2011, 03:13 PM
scott321

get what your saying about fuel prices, exept ithink u got cheeper prices over there? p.s. i got 4 kids, 19,14,4,9months, all ready know about the talk to the hand thing, gets up your nose after 2 or 3 years (ha ha)

Old 04-02-2011, 04:07 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

get what your saying about fuel prices, exept ithink u got cheeper prices over there? p.s. i got 4 kids, 19,14,4,9months, all ready know about the talk to the hand thing, gets up your nose after 2 or 3 years (ha ha)
lol - i hear yah. 4 kids - wow you got a tribe Yeah that fuel is pricey . . . . ;(