Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Ball Diffs

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 05:12 PM
Willystylz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ball Diffs

Maybe some of the more experienced folk can answer this question. I now have some basic experience with ball diffs and building them. Most of the ball diffs I've seen have a thrust bearing inside. Now, on my F104, the ball diff does not have one. Instead it has two "disk springs". Which are like washers but are slightly cup shaped. I'm guessing that this version of a ball diff is a more primitive style compared to one with an actual thrust bearing?

I believe a F103 for example has a thrust bearing, I wonder why the ball diff in a F104 doesn't have one?
Old 03-21-2010, 09:11 PM
Casper06

Default RE: Ball Diffs

That's really strange, why would they go backwards unless it is a better design? How does it drive? A lot of Tamiya parts are interchangeable. Are the diffs in the 103 the same size as the 104?
Old 03-21-2010, 09:59 PM
Willystylz

Just did some searching and the best explanation (albeit not an explanation) I could find is this quote from D-Drive Sports' review of the F104....

"Look at that diff whats going on?" Its a classic Tamiya diff with a few new ideas. First there is no thrust bearing just some roller bearings and the pressure discs. Adjusting the diff requires removing the wheel and removing the pin that hold the threaded cap on to get at the adjusting nut. So you can remove the wheel without having to reset your diff."

The two "pressure discs" are the cone-like washers I mentioned. I guess these do the job the thrust bearing normally does?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46154.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	1402558  
Old 03-21-2010, 10:05 PM
Willystylz

It does seem to handle well. I'm no pro, but it does seem to work and isn't falling out of adjustment, unlike the ball diffs on my Sprint 2 (which are PITA).

When I turn a wheel by hand though, it doesn't seem quite as smooth as a normal ball diff would be (comparing it to the ball diff in the Evo, which is like warm melted butter btw)
Old 03-21-2010, 10:05 PM
Casper06

That's interesting. I wonder if that way is better than using a thrust bearing.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:12 PM
Willystylz

I was doing some trolling over on the other forum and one of the guys sorta reconfigured the ball diff and threw a thrust bearing in. He didn't really elaborate on why he did so though.