Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 10:14 AM
MTboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble

I'm having a hard time deciding on what to do and get for my Sprint 2. The weather is changing and we plan to do some parking lot racing this summer so would like to set it up for the best resolts. My problem is I don't know much about road racing and what to expect since I've used my Sprint for drifting when I first got it and then it sat for a year.
I have new X patter tires and rear belt coming but looking to put a $300 order together from tower since I'm a member = $260 if they ever send me a coupon code. [:@]
I have a 8.5T 4000 ezrun system in it now but havent ran do to rear belt and needing new tires so not sure if that would be good enough. Have been looking at a Castle MMP 4900 or 5700 wondering if it would be worth it.
1. Are the Graphite parts worth it?
2. Thinking stock shocks will work but would like to have some spare springs to play with. What ones do I need for racing in a parking lot.
3. How about the universal dog bones? If worth it is there anything else I would need to make them work.
4. Gearing, With ezrun or mamba what gearing should I have on hand? Spurs and pinions..

I think thats all the questions I have for now and thanks for any info you can give. Feel free to let me know anything else I may need..
Old 04-29-2010, 07:15 AM
MTboy

Default RE: Trouble

No one has any input????
Old 04-30-2010, 02:50 PM
erwink

MT Boy
Perhaps I am not the most experienced on-road guy here but I will try to give you some pointers:
- forget graphite parts for parking lot racing. Save the money for a serious pro racing car ( Associated, Xray, etc)
- for parking lots it is wise to get a set of medium and a set of soft springs - lots of bumps
- I think the B/L set you have is enough for cutting your teeth in handling a brushless ( again save the money for a serious racer later)
- I have heard that installing beefier universal half-shafts is more appropriate for brushless power - dtch the plastic, use metal

Regarding gearing I cannot help you because I am still running a brushed motor.

Good luck and I hope guys with more experience show up to help you out.

Erwin
Old 04-30-2010, 03:44 PM
MTboy

Erwink, Really thanks alot for the tips. So far on this and other forms your help is the most I've got. Seems everyone wants me to buy a book and earn as I go..lol All fine and dandy but why not ask and find out things like you said to save a few bucks.
I will hold off on things and just pick up some springs and universals to have on hand.

I will report back later to let you know how everything went..
Thanks.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:20 PM
mrgoodbar

ORIGINAL: MTboy

Erwink, Really thanks alot for the tips. So far on this and other forms your help is the most I've got. Seems everyone wants me to buy a book and earn as I go..lol All fine and dandy but why not ask and find out things like you said to save a few bucks.
I will hold off on things and just pick up some springs and universals to have on hand.

Thanks.
Honestly, your Sprint2 is not really considered a racer. More of a basher or drifter, so you won't get any more response anywhere else than you got here because racers don't use them.
Other than was previously suggested, as far as gearing goes, you really need to concentrate on gearing for the track you're running.Every track is different for the most part.As a general rule it's to be done so the car tops out somewhere about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way down the longest straightaway. At the same time BL systems can take more gear, but you also need to monitor temps so either your motor/esc doesn't get too hot.

Otherwise, in the future I would suggest you pick a more appropriate name for your threads other than "Trouble" which doesn't really give anybody any idea what topic you are asking about.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:51 PM
MTboy

ORIGINAL: mrgoodbar

Thanks.
Honestly, your Sprint2 is not really considered a racer. More of a basher or drifter, so you won't get any more response anywhere else than you got here because racers don't use them.
Other than was previously suggested, as far as gearing goes, you really need to concentrate on gearing for the track you're running. Every track is different for the most part. As a general rule it's to be done so the car tops out somewhere about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way down the longest straightaway. At the same time BL systems can take more gear, but you also need to monitor temps so either your motor/esc doesn't get too hot.

Otherwise, in the future I would suggest you pick a more appropriate name for your threads other than ''Trouble'' which doesn't really give anybody any idea what topic you are asking about.
Man thanks for that. I understand it's not a racer on a high level but for parking lots and the things I'm asking these questions for it should do a fine job. I just thought more educated road guys could save me a few bucks on things I don't need and will never use. We have no racing here other then what we put together and that could go on some weekends as far as just family.
I will not lie, my thread names suck and I know nothing about computers.
Thanks for the tips.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:57 PM
Willystylz

For gearing I'd pick up a few different pinions. Since stock is 26, I'd get a 24, 22 and 20. If you go the 5700kv route I'd get a 18 as well

I have the CVD's on both of my Sprint 2's, and no you don't need anything else to use them. So far they're fine and keeps things a little more efficient i guess.

As for graphite, I think you meant carbon fibre? I've got the CF shock towers and I'd say are quite worth it, as well I've installed Hot Bodies touring car shocks all the way around, and these are super smooth compared to the stock ones. Back to the shock towers again, the stock plastic ones have a lot of play in them, so I'd say the CF is worthwhile.

The Sprint 2 I think is a decent car, but the main drawback is the steering. It's notorious for having lots of play in the steering, with no way to really fully solve the issue.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:01 PM
iMOD

What makes the sprint 2 a poor racer? the lack or age of R&D time into it? I think HPI is past due for another touring car

Old 05-01-2010, 06:17 AM
MTboy

ORIGINAL: Willystylz

For gearing I'd pick up a few different pinions. Since stock is 26, I'd get a 24, 22 and 20. If you go the 5700kv route I'd get a 18 as well

I have the CVD's on both of my Sprint 2's, and no you don't need anything else to use them. So far they're fine and keeps things a little more efficient i guess.

As for graphite, I think you meant carbon fibre? I've got the CF shock towers and I'd say are quite worth it, as well I've installed Hot Bodies touring car shocks all the way around, and these are super smooth compared to the stock ones. Back to the shock towers again, the stock plastic ones have a lot of play in them, so I'd say the CF is worthwhile.

The Sprint 2 I think is a decent car, but the main drawback is the steering. It's notorious for having lots of play in the steering, with no way to really fully solve the issue.
Now thats what I was looking for. Glad I didn't buy anything yet, I had high pinion gears picked out do to reading and others using 30T pinions on other cars. Will have to look into the shocks, sounds like another nice upgrade.
Thanks for your help.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:42 AM
Willystylz

Just depends a lot of you're goin with a 5700kv. Then likely you'll need a smaller pinion than stock. I'm running from a 4200 to a 5200kv (8.5 and a 6.5t) motor on both of my Sprint 2's and I recall both of my pinions are in the 26-30 range. LOL been a while since I've looked at my gearing, so just going by memory. I do remember when I was playing with the gearing, I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to use a bigger pinion than expected. Although I'm running sensored motors, don't know for sure if they run cooler than sensored? Both of mine barely even get warm after a full run.

I do have some pics of the shocks in the Sprint 2 thread. They are definitely nice, and I imagine pretty similiar to the actual HPI aluminum threaded shocks but different colours. They come in two versions, purple and black. For shock oil, I used 35wt and seems to work well.

I just doublechecked my pinion on my 5200 (6.5t), and sure enough I've got a 30t pinion on it. So I was kinda wrong when I originally told you what pinions to get. With a 5700kv, the stock 26t pinion may be fine. But with all gearing on RC's, I think you'll need to do some trial and error and go as big as heat allows.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:49 AM
mrgoodbar

As for graphite, I think you meant carbon fibre?
Carbon fiber and Graphite are two entirely different mediums, and both are used in RC car parts.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:03 AM
MTboy

I have my 4000Kv installed right now and going to test it with stock pinion as soon as the weather works with me. Not sure if I will upgrade to a better system or not, will have to wait and see I guess. For now I think I will do some testing as is and go from there. I will add gears and springs to my order to give me room to play but will hold off on bling till I get it set up for what I want.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:36 AM
Willystylz

Carbon fiber and Graphite are two entirely different mediums, and both are used in RC car parts.
i understand that..........but to my knowledge there aren't any Graphite parts avail for the HPI Sprint 2.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:44 AM
mrgoodbar

i understand that..........but to my knowledge there aren't any Graphite parts avail for the HPI Sprint 2.
Then it might have been better had you clarified that initially. Otherwise it just leads to more confusion for the uninformed.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:51 AM
Willystylz

umm yeah I was kinda trying to clarify what MTBoy had wrote as he asked "are the graphite parts worth it?"[sm=drowning.gif]
Old 05-01-2010, 10:15 AM
MTboy

Well had a chance to get out and test her. Ran for about 20 min before a rear tire came unglued and slamed me into the curb..lol Luck it didnt cause and damage other then scratching up the wheel.
Had great speed and never got hot so think I can gear up to get more out of her but not sure if I want to take punch away. I will have to play with spurs and pinions to see what I can figure out.

Also in high speed turns I had bad understeer. But in a tight turn coming out if I punched it she would spin out. May be more of a throttle control issue..lol What would you recommend for helping with understeer?
Old 05-01-2010, 11:58 AM
Willystylz

Maybe some stickier rubber like a set of HPI Pro-Compounds? Wouldn't hurt to try playing with the camber settings so more rubber is hitting the ground when turning.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:58 PM
iMOD

camber will help. what castor are you using? try 6.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:22 PM
MTboy

running stock with X pattern tires but I think those may be stock too..lol Would softer springs help out? I feel the stock springs are to still but if I remove the spacers it sits to low for parking lots.
I will play with the camber and not sure about castor other then stock.. May also look into pro compounds. I do want another set of tires..lol
Old 05-01-2010, 02:07 PM
Willystylz

The stock springs are pretty stiff. I'd try some softer ones.

If you get new tires, then the HPI X-Pattern Belted Pro Compounds are the ones to go for.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:17 PM
mrgoodbar

Also in high speed turns I had bad understeer. But in a tight turn coming out if I punched it she would spin out. May be more of a throttle control issue..lol What would you recommend for helping with understeer?
Fix the problem with your trigger finger.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:08 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This stuff right here will make your car race worthy. http://www.carbon-tuning.de/index-6.html , although shipping might get spendy. Get rid of the crappy tires and throw some kawahara 30shore 26mm foams on there. Are you guys seriously telling this dude that his car is not good enough for racing? Trust me... the car is fine, I still race with a pro 2 sometimes (the predecessor of the sprint II) and dominate... hell, people race with tl-01's, which are about the worst handling car in existence. I think the cvd's for the pro1, pro2, and rc10t3/t4 will fit that thing. Its all about practice, experiment with different shock springs, toe/camber. Anyone that suggests a $400 touring car doesn't know what they are talking about. Maybe you can do a little better with an xray, but you should still be able to come close with a sprint. As for the understeer, bring the camber up... +3 should do it.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:16 PM
Willystylz

Thanks for the link! I never knew there was an aftermarket co making cf parts for the Sprint 2
Old 05-01-2010, 03:58 PM
iMOD

+3 camber?? maybe -3, but that may be over kill. Ive seen those pieces before, but the site seems to not completely work.

the castor should be marked on the castor block.

Old 05-01-2010, 04:24 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: iMOD

+3 camber?? maybe -3, but that may be over kill. Ive seen those pieces before, but the site seems to not completely work.

the castor should be marked on the castor block.

Sorry... always get camber/caster positives and negatives mixed up...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.