Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

A little more speed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 01:41 PM
cowana

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little more speed?

Hi all.

I've got a Volcano EPX with the Novatech brushless 3300KV motor. I'm powering it with a 11.1V 5000mAh lipo pack (hardcase). The truck is a monster truck type, with 2.8" rim tyres. I'm using a 'mystery' brand 80A ESC.

Using a DX3S telemetry set I measured 48mph top speed with a freshly charged 11.1v lipo. Note this doesn't include tire ballooning - but it doesn't include wheels slipping, so I'll assume they cancel each other out. I'm eager to get this thing to 50 - how can I get the extra 2mph? I've already converted it to all ball bearings, and put a heatsink on the motor. I don't want to gear it up any more, as the motor currently gets quite toasty. Any ideas for the extra 4%? I don't want to spend much more money (eg a new ESC), as this is just for fun.

I know this is the on-road part of the forum, but I figured you guys would know more about high-speed (for a truck) turing than in the monster truck forum).

Andrew

Old 05-04-2010, 02:36 PM
Casper06

Default RE: A little more speed?

Without gearing it a little higher I would say maybe try to drop some weight if possible. I don't know anything about your truck but if they make carbon parts for it that would help.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:22 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Swap the wheels to foams, they are way lighter and have less rotating mass. Plus they don't balloon. When wheels balloon they come out of balance, which will drastically effect a smooth running drive train.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:20 PM
Shenanigans
My Feedback: (12)

Dont you want ballooning wheels if you want a higher top speed?  The added circumference should add to the ground it can cover per rotation? 
Old 05-04-2010, 05:32 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Shenanigans

Dont you want ballooning wheels if you want a higher top speed? The added circumference should add to the ground it can cover per rotation?
Theoretically... I have always managed better speeds with foams, I think the wheels bounce when they balloon, not allowing really good traction. Its also really hard on your bearings.