Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

drift/rally

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 05:29 PM
jakerz04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drift/rally

I don't know where to start, I personally want to do a kit. but if possible id like to have it be a drifter and make a few suspention adjustments/tire changes and it could be a rally type of a car, really. all i need is the chassis. I have parts but if a kit came with some componets, that would be great. I was looking at the tamiya tt-01 but im fairly new to rc as is and COMPLETELY new to onroad
Old 06-14-2010, 06:01 PM
Casper06

Default RE: drift/rally

Tamiya DF03-ra is probably where you'd want to start.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:05 PM
jakerz04

cool ill look into it, but could it be a drifter too
Old 06-14-2010, 06:57 PM
grimgard

ORIGINAL: jakerz04

cool ill look into it, but could it be a drifter too
Pretty much any 4WD on road RC can be a drifter....That being said you would have to modify it and there are other RC's that are designed specifically for drifting. Yokomo is a great brand as well as HPI & Tamiya.

The main thing to look for is...

1. balanced chassis/power

2. open front differential

3. locked rear differential ( you can lock an open one)

Google Yokomo drift RC, HPI, & Tamiya and read! it's that simple.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:16 PM
Casper06

I would think that it could make for a decent drifter since it's design is based on a buggy and the chassis is well balanced. Depending on how you ride it though you would need to change your suspension setup. Nothing a extra set of TRF shocks and soft springs won't fix though. There is a guy here Alex that runs it as a drifter and likes it.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:13 PM
jakerz04

cool i like it but its that much for the kit, i thought kits were cheaper, like around 150 ish not 200 and up
Old 06-14-2010, 08:51 PM
jakerz04

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=TAM58450 would this be decent start in onroad, (horizon hobby is the supplyer for my lhs) and the DF03-rawith tax and middle man price is pushin' well over 250 bucks and i cant swing that i just want a start in it and i have everything needed, reciver, servos, radios and a 10 turn ruudy brushed motor all i will have to get is a body and an esc
Old 06-15-2010, 02:11 PM
alexchen86

Casper my man...yeah I run my DF-03Ra as both a drift car and rally car. Very easy to waterproof as well.

Even though you pay more than the TT-01 you are getting the adjustable options the TT-01 does not have. Also actual oil filled shocks which help a lot, already comes with full ball bearings, center differential, suspension/height adjustment, camber/toe/castor adjustments. If you do some searches on the official DF-03Ra thread you will see my pearl STI which I drift with and the 07 Monte Carlo WRC body which I rally with.

Currently my setup on the DF-03Ra is an XL5 ESC, replaced sealed bearings than the shielded ones that come with the kit, Slipper clutch, heat sink bars, and a DF-03 body that  I use for a mud/dirt cover..also I switch off between the Tamiya Sport Tuned motor and a cheapo 15T double. Gearing is somewhere around 7.55 I think.

Never overheated just make sure if you wet run you have to take care of it after. Spray down, WD-40, regrease or relube bearings, and of course blow dry your batteries if they get dunked after you puncture some small holes at the end to get the water out. I run NiMH packs only on this car.