RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-road-vehicles-race-cars-more-475/)
-   -   Looking for a Rear Wheel Drive OnRoad Car (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-road-vehicles-race-cars-more-475/11281891-looking-rear-wheel-drive-onroad-car.html)

-JBLKING- 10-31-2012 04:37 PM

RE: Looking for a Rear Wheel Drive OnRoad Car

Cool, i like the associated(s) as well, seams like the right chassis for me, looks a bit simpler than the tamiyas and with much more space. I like shaft drive over belt drive, but the HPI Sprint series looks quite decent as well. I have noticed belt drive makes better drifters but the pros and cons of Shaft vs Belt is another argument.

Uncle Vinnie 10-31-2012 04:39 PM

Can't think of anything else, besides the TT-01 and HPI E10

TT-01 would be my first choice, there are thousands of mods you can do to this car, parts you can get anywhere.
Here are a few links of upgrades you can get and some threads on the TT-01

http://www.asiatees.com/model.php?br...ya&model=TT-01

http://www.integy.com/st_main.html?p...7#.UJHD0obAt7A

http://www.etamiya.com/shop/tamiya-s...c-302_304.html

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...forum-142.html

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4199090/tm.htm

suburban_hooligan 10-31-2012 04:47 PM

isn't the E10 a peace of crap?

i hear TT-01's are a good entry/mid range level car. i see lots of people drifting those. i remember for a while they were like the go to chassis for drifting. is that still the case?<br type="_moz" />

-JBLKING- 10-31-2012 04:56 PM

thanks for the links! i'll disect them in a bit. I havent heard much about the E-10, except it was a good entry level chassis but you couldnt go far with it.

phmaximus 10-31-2012 06:46 PM

ORIGINAL: suburban_hooligan

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

ORIGINAL: -JBLKING-

huh, looks like the setup im looking for in terms of the RWD, but doesnt look too much fun to drive.
<span style=''''>they're fun to race on a track do to slot car like handling. but unless you're weird (like me) probably not the most fun to bash with it. i like bashing pan cars because it reminds me of bashing a le mans prototype race car. if you want to replicate a muscle car, they aren't the most ideal chassis for your need</span>
Do u know whats even worse to bash????
A Fwd chassis, I had a Tamiya M03 and man talk about a boring car to bash lol
seriously? iv got an M03 chassis. love that thing (once i put bearings and universals in it). it's a total drivers car. the only down side is it's slow with the silver can motor. i put a 20 turn in mine.
friend of mine had an FF-01. that thing was awesome as hell.

front wheel drive cars just have there own unique style. it's ether a technique you understand and master, or they're a frustrating nightmare.
<br type=''_moz'' />
Ive noticed u have brang up skill a few times in this thread, are u saying u have lots of skill? what races are u winning?
I dont think it has anything to do with skill, more to do with personal preferance.
I dont see a FFchassis been fustrating, they are the easyest cars around to race and are a great starting point because they teach u to keep on the racing line...blah blah blah.... who cares anyway, 90% of people dont race

Ive only just sold mine, I did not like it one bit,Like I said before its the worst bashing car ever... all it can do is go up and down a road with heaps of understeer and bugger all acceleration... nothing to do with skill

this is the specs of the one I sold
M03L
Ballraced, Tamiya Adjustable rear arms, Tamiya hollow carbon gear shafts, Tamiya quick relese battery holder, tam tech racing lower arms, 70wt diff oil, No greease on gears just silicon spray, Light weight tam tech rear axles,Eagle racing foam bumper kit, 3300mah 2lipo 4300kv motor and a 35a ESC...
Sold it with a 3000kv motor & 25a ESC.

as u can see it had a lot more power than 99% of the M03'sout there, but it was still crap IMO
here is the thread that has picsof it [link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7798105/mpage_2/key_/tm.htm[/link]

phmaximus 10-31-2012 06:52 PM

U can do heaps to the E10,

here is mine, ive since sold the stock one
http://media7.dropshots.com/photos/2...703/080227.jpg
http://media6.dropshots.com/photos/2...628/074814.jpg
http://media11.dropshots.com/photos/...205/214628.jpg

phmaximus 10-31-2012 06:59 PM

I would reccomend one of these... its a hobao Hyper 10e.... Dont know if they are available where u live, u would have to find that out
but they are only $200 for a rolling chassis

they can run stick packs or saddle packs, all the alloy parts can be replaced with CF.

Heaps of guys In South Australia are racing them and drifting them

I cant reccomend anything els, havent tryed anything els lol

http://media10.dropshots.com/photos/...927/124315.jpg
http://media9.dropshots.com/photos/2...927/124341.jpg

-JBLKING- 10-31-2012 07:08 PM

Havent even heard of them. They look similar to the HPI Sprint 2s.

phmaximus 10-31-2012 08:06 PM

u havant heard of HoBao??? what about the Hyper biggies?
HPI is now distributor for them, its just a shame HPI cant match there quality

Haddi Taha 11-01-2012 12:01 AM

<div>I have a Tamiya TB03, great mid level touring car but I think Tamiya is going to abandon the shaft driven tb cars as not many people want to bash a touring car anymore so dirt in the drivetrain isn't the issue it used to be.</div><div>
</div>I like the Tamiya TA06, brushless and lipo friendly and an interesting design too. Its belt drive at the front and gear drive at the rear, has the motor mounted like a belt drive but in the center rear and the lipo runs down the middle. Check it out

NOVAMEGA 11-01-2012 06:30 AM

Go 1/5 scale 2wd
BAM

-JBLKING- 11-01-2012 07:20 AM

I havent even seen 1/5! Id figure more parts available in 1/10 tho

-JBLKING- 11-01-2012 07:23 AM

Im seeing many choices for tamiya, but im leaning towards Associated with the simpler looking chassis. I like the M06 tho. Any major differences between Tamiya and Associated?

-JBLKING- 11-01-2012 07:25 AM

Nope i havent! Im still a novice, im getting there with the help of you guys.

u havant heard of HoBao??? what about the Hyper biggies?
HPI is now distributor for them, its just a shame HPI cant match there quality

suburban_hooligan 11-01-2012 10:32 AM

huh, looks like the setup im looking for in terms of the RWD, but doesnt look too much fun to drive.
<span style="">they're fun to race on a track do to slot car like handling. but unless you're weird (like me) probably not the most fun to bash with it. i like bashing pan cars because it reminds me of bashing ale mans prototype race car. if you want to replicate a muscle car, they aren't the most ideal chassis for your need</span>
seriously? iv got an M03 chassis. love that thing (once i put bearings and universals in it). it's a total drivers car. the only down side is it's slow with the silver can motor. i put a 20 turn in mine.
friend of mine had an FF-01. that thing was awesome as hell.

front wheel drive cars just have there own unique style. it's ether a technique you understand and master, or they're a frustrating nightmare.
<br type="" />
Ive noticed u have brang up skill a few times in this thread, are u saying u have lots of skill? what races are u winning?
I dont think it has anything to do with skill, more to do with personal preferance.
I dont see a FFchassis been fustrating, they are the easyest cars around to race and are a great starting point because they teach u to keep on the racing line...blah blah blah.... who cares anyway, 90% of people dont race

Ive only just sold mine, I did not like it one bit,Like I said before its the worst bashing car ever... all it can do is go up and down a road with heaps of understeer and bugger all acceleration... nothing to do with skill

on road wise i used to have skill, then i took a 8 year break and lost a good 70% of it. the only race i entered was in 2001 with the nitro RS4 2. i had owned the car just over a week. i was looking at a B main qualifying spot and was taken out in my last heat race by a guy who aparently didn't know you have to slow down for corners. not having a spare rear suspension arm and not having any money my day was done. driven on plenty of tracks, but haven't entered a raced sense.
back then 3 of the main guys i was bashing with were racers with years of experience. consistant A main qualifiers. i learned from them and honed the skills in parking lots, driving around cones and homemade corner dots. i got to the point of being able to outrun them with an equal car. what we were doing was parking lot autocross, and stuff that would probably be considered gymkhana, on all types of surfaces. my on road cars have probably spent more time in corners than on straightaways. that's how you master the craft.

any car is boring if all you're doing is driving up and down the street with it. you have to throw some cones down. make a course to drive. and change it up a bit every battery pack or two to keep things interesting. then that understeer and wheel spin isn't a problem, it's an obstacle to overcome (which is skill building), keeps things fun.

-JBLKING- 11-01-2012 11:18 AM

Thats nice! i wanted to recreate a muscle car that doesnt hug the ground too much. What would be nice is a chassis that can do that for a touring car that can be readily converted to a lowered drifter if my taste arises. Something like the HPI Sprint 2s. Id still prefer shaft over belt driven though.

suburban_hooligan 11-01-2012 12:43 PM

the only 3 shaft drive cars i can name off the top of my head are the team associated TC4,  tamiya tt-01, and HPI E10.<div>for a while manufactures were going to shaft drive.  now the trend has swung back to belts.  </div><div>don't worry though, belts aren't half the trouble people make them sound to be.  so if you find a belt drive car you like, it's no big deal</div>

nitrosportsandrunner 11-01-2012 03:15 PM

I have often thought that if they made a RWD touring car that had working front brakes....it would work.

RWD acceleration problems can be overcome. But braking with only the rear tires make for not only poor handling, but also very unscale performance as well.

I even think that a RWD car with properly set up front brakes could drift. Not as easy as a 4wd with drift tires sure, but if the front tires do the braking then the weight comes off the rear and would let it slide out under braking.
When only the rear tires brake, there is no way to drift.

-JBLKING- 11-01-2012 03:33 PM

i understand the drifting dilema, but can you guys point out the other crutches of RWD that im obviously not seeing?

nitrosportsandrunner 11-01-2012 04:34 PM

i understand the drifting dilema, but can you guys point out the other crutches of RWD that im obviously not seeing?
narrow width and narrow tires with an open diff and good power means you cant hardly go in a straight line with RWD only.

While real cars do awsome RWD, rc's just do not. They are very light. The power to weight ratio is like that of the most insane sports cars. But you dont get TCS, ESP, SCS or any other electronic assists like the real cars have.

and as I mentioned, an electric RC thats RWD has rear braking only. In real cars, front tires do 70% of the braking work.

as shown in earlier pics, Pan cars work well as RWD. but the weight is mostly over the rear, the tires are crazy wide and the car is also wide compared to the length. Those together make them stable. But even a pan car will have trouble with enough power. I have a bolink legend with a brushless system. on 2s lipo its hard to get it to full speed without it spinning out. And try turning and anything above 50% throttle and it spins out as well.

Onroads, due to light weight...high power ratio...simply need 4wd to perform in a scale manner.

but there is no harm in buying a 4wd shaft or belt driven model and taking the front belt or the center shaft off and driving it RWD. But you will quickly see the handling is poor.

-JBLKING- 11-01-2012 04:37 PM

hmmm that makes sense. That definitely helps. Thanks for the recommendations. I'll probably consider between the TC4 and the TT01, im kinda sketch about the E10, do you guys have any opinion over the three?

phmaximus 11-02-2012 12:25 AM

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

I have often thought that if they made a RWD touring car that had working front brakes....it would work.

RWD acceleration problems can be overcome. But braking with only the rear tires make for not only poor handling, but also very unscale performance as well.

I even think that a RWD car with properly set up front brakes could drift. Not as easy as a 4wd with drift tires sure, but if the front tires do the braking then the weight comes off the rear and would let it slide out under braking.
When only the rear tires brake, there is no way to drift.

Hey that just gave me a idea.... if u were to run a 4wd tamiya I wonder if u could fit a one way diff up front, but reverse the bearings around.... that would stop power going out the diff, and still have front breaking.

The Mad Modder 11-02-2012 04:43 AM

ORIGINAL: Uncle Vinnie

How much are you looking to spend????
Compact doesn't necessary mean good....it's hard to work on them, specially if you have big fingers like me.
Sometimes in order to replace a part you'll need to take the whole car apart....
How compact are you talking? Tamiya m-series cars are a bit smaller than a 4wd sedan, but they definitely aren't hard to work on. I currently own an m03 and used to own an m04(rwd).

Doesn't have as much traction as a rwd or 4wd, but I find my m03 rather fun to drive. You need more skill to drive well than with a 4wd chassis. For a while, I had rally tires on it and it'd do surprisingly well in dirt.

RWD's like the m04 and m06 require even more skill to drive, but once you get the hang of it, they are a blast.

hmmm that makes sense. That definitely helps. Thanks for the recommendations. I'll probably consider between the TC4 and the TT01, im kinda sketch about the E10, do you guys have any opinion over the three?
1.tc4
2.tt01
3.e10
My first choice would be the tc4 as it has the best handling of the three. Second would be the tt01, it doesn't have as good handling as the tc4, but is still a tough car. Last would be the e10, out of the box, the durability is poor at best. Expect to put some money and work into it to keep it from damaging itself.

phmaximus 11-02-2012 05:00 PM

So u are saying, if I had more driving skill it would be more fun?
That's not very nice?

Front wheel drive on only fun in reverse. And the m03 has hardly any ground Clarence. And they have very slow acceleration

More like I hate front wheel drive cars, they have no place in our world. Where I live the big family cars and taxi's are rear wheel drive.

The Mad Modder 11-03-2012 12:24 PM

When I said "you need more skill to drive fwd", I was referring to people in general, not specifically you as a person. I apologize if you misunderstood my post.

Front wheel drive vehicles generally don't handle as well as 4wd or rwd ones, but they are far from useless. I don't know about australia, but in the US winters can produce very slippery and dangerous roads. Driving a RWD vehicle can be very difficult in low traction conditions like that and not everyone has the money for a 4wd or awd vehicle. In such conditions, fwd helps, because it is both cost efficient and offered satisfactory winter performance.