RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-road-vehicles-race-cars-more-475/)
-   -   Looking for a Rear Wheel Drive OnRoad Car (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-electric-road-vehicles-race-cars-more-475/11281891-looking-rear-wheel-drive-onroad-car.html)

prestonlal 12-18-2012 10:42 PM

RE: Looking for a Rear Wheel Drive OnRoad Car

ORIGINAL: -JBLKING-

How long do you estimate this project to take start to finish and how long have you spent on it already?
Difficult to estimate how long it will take...I usually work on it a couple nights per week spending about 2-3 hours each night. I really don't have a set plan, I'm just winging it! I could spend an hour or two working on some part and then don't like the completed item so then I do it over from a different angle ...
Been working on and off on it since November, haven't actually been keeping a record...for me the satisfaction comes from building and the challenges it brings!

-JBLKING- 12-19-2012 04:48 AM

well youre doing a great job so far!

prestonlal 12-19-2012 05:22 AM

Hey thanks!

prestonlal 01-05-2013 08:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Small update...got a little more done.
Rear deck and trunk area an started on a roll cage..

prestonlal 01-05-2013 08:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Some more...

prestonlal 01-05-2013 08:33 AM

Do any of you guys have access to an rc motor bike? Like the venom GPV or the 450 dirt bike? I want to try to mod / adapt the front disc brake to work on this chassis, but I need to know the diameter of the brake disc before I buy the kit.

-JBLKING- 01-05-2013 10:15 AM

I dont sorry but that is a great idea! Are the brakes functional? What material are you using for the roll cage?

prestonlal 01-05-2013 03:12 PM

I used styrene round rods to make the cage...1/4" I believe it was....
The rc motorbikes disc brakes are functional. Mechanically operated by a cable attached to a servo....!

-JBLKING- 01-05-2013 03:20 PM

Those brakes would be great! They definitely need to make more. The normal motor brakes dont necessarily stop a chassis from rolling forward a good 5-10feet without rolling into reverse. A direct disk break would definitely be functional.

prestonlal 01-17-2013 07:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Got some more updates.... Did a lil more detailing on the dashboard...

prestonlal 01-17-2013 07:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Also got in the rotor discs and the caliper kits ! Still need to fab up a mount to attach the calipers to the wheel hub, shouldn't be too difficult! The system is servo activated using brake cables similar to bicycle brake cables!

prestonlal 01-17-2013 07:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Some more

prestonlal 01-17-2013 07:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is how it fits in the wheel!

prestonlal 01-24-2013 02:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Installed te bumpers and the rear wing!

prestonlal 01-24-2013 02:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Also got the calipers installed!
Left side installed...

-JBLKING- 01-24-2013 02:44 PM

Love the wheels! This project is turning out amazing. If you made a guide and/or put together a kit, I would definitely do this. Cant wait to see how it performs!

prestonlal 01-24-2013 02:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And then I remembered to take some pics while installing the right side...

Before the caliper was installed..and the original caliper mount from the motorbike which I modded to attach to the hub!

Heh! [&o]. Didn't get the pics shown in the order I wanted them....oh well!

prestonlal 01-24-2013 02:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some more pics...

prestonlal 01-24-2013 02:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is how it stands now...will have to figure out a way to mount the micro servo to get the disc brakes working....probably fab a mount of some kind...!

prestonlal 01-24-2013 02:55 PM

ORIGINAL: -JBLKING-

Love the wheels! This project is turning out amazing. If you made a guide and/or put together a kit, I would definitely do this. Cant wait to see how it performs!
Hey thanks! Yeah, the retro style wheels really made a difference! Well I am kinda winging this build so maybe when it's done I can put together some notes...! Ha! We'll see eh!
:D

-JBLKING- 01-24-2013 02:58 PM

At this point, the finished product doesnt even compare to the time, work, and innovation you are putting into this. This is the definition of a hobby and hobbyist right here - engineering for fun! I am very impressed! :)

prestonlal 01-24-2013 03:00 PM

Hey thanks for the kind words! :D
Hope you guys don't mind that I have been keeping this thread running! Ha! All good fun!

-JBLKING- 01-24-2013 03:11 PM

No prob at all! Its a treat to see this project in action. It would be great if this design could be proven and become the newest thing.

prestonlal 02-06-2013 07:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another update!...
The cables that came with the kit were definitely too short...! So I picked up the Sullivan Gold n Cable .032". This was a perfect substitute!
Original cable compared to the Sullivan cable..

prestonlal 02-06-2013 07:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cables installed....